Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #766
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
BS. 14-48 Will still pull every gear just fine. 15 up front will still pull plenty hard and net 100mph.

My EXC w 14 48. is already in 3rd gear by the time I cross an intersection.

pfft..... GAME ON. Coming off a KX youll have no probs with the ratios. I grab 6th at 45 when road riding at 14-51 gearing. at 50 ish with the 15 cs. Ive had the bike to 105 on pavement. 276lbs (no fuel, ready to ride) and my 220lb ass.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #767
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,215
Hey CodyY,

Are you on an MXC now? I am just wondering... I had ridden an MXC and was shifting what seemed like a lot more than on the EXC. I guess I need more saddle time on an MXC....
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #768
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
BS. 14-48 Will still pull every gear just fine. 15 up front will still pull plenty hard and net 100mph.

My EXC w 14 48. is already in 3rd gear by the time I cross an intersection.

pfft..... GAME ON. Coming off a KX youll have no probs with the ratios. I grab 6th at 45 when road riding at 14-51 gearing. at 50 ish with the 15 cs. Ive had the bike to 105 on pavement. 276lbs (no fuel, ready to ride) and my 220lb ass.
Cool Thanks for the insight; it sounds like you've got some experience with the MXC. It just happens the MXC is for sale locally and if it's still around in a couple more weeks I'll probably have the scratch to buy it (and NOT have to travel hundreds of miles to get it! ). There's a 525 SX right down the street for only $3K but it's a 4spd :(

I'll probably gear it high because the KX will suffice for any 1st/2nd gear stuff and that technical terrain is scarce in these parts.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #769
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Hey CodyY,

Are you on an MXC now? I am just wondering... I had ridden an MXC and was shifting what seemed like a lot more than on the EXC. I guess I need more saddle time on an MXC....
My 300 was an MXC, and two riding buds are on a 525mxc 04; and 00 400sx with 6speed, e-start, and 525 top end. I do the work on their bikes. The power is there to pull taller gearing, and SX bikes can have 5/6th added without too much trouble.

don't be skeerd'.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #770
Kansas-Kid
Keep it Rural

Oddometer: 7
Ktm 525

I have an 06 KTM 525 EXC that I bought last year with 2200 miles on her. I now have 14,324 miles on it with no issues at all. I have a very aggressive riding style and ride it hard. I installed the MOTO-Billet kickstand as I found the stock one leaned the bike over to far and sunk in the dirt to easily. I change the oil every 700 to 1000 miles and had the valves checked in May with no need for adjustment. The only issue I am having is keeping rear tires on the beast. I love this bike and routinely put two to three hundred miles on the bike in a single ride exploring the wonderful backroads of Kansas.

Kansas-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #771
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
EXC Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas-Kid
I have an 06 KTM 525 EXC that I bought last year with 2200 miles on her. I now have 14,324 miles on it with no issues at all. I have a very aggressive riding style and ride it hard. I installed the MOTO-Billet kickstand as I found the stock one leaned the bike over to far and sunk in the dirt to easily. I change the oil every 700 to 1000 miles and had the valves checked in May with no need for adjustment. The only issue I am having is keeping rear tires on the beast. I love this bike and routinely put two to three hundred miles on the bike in a single ride exploring the wonderful backroads of Kansas.
My experience with my '07 525 EXC is the same as yours. I just have a lot fewer miles on mine. Others have posted 40K miles on the 525s without trouble. Others have had various minor problems. There are threads on this on KTMTalk. When I bought mine from Leigh at Letko in KC, KS I went back after a couple of weeks and told him I had a serious warranty issue. He looked up surprised since his experience with the EXCs, raced or dual sported, has been zero trouble. "Yea. It is chunking knobs like crazy, especially when I burn across an intersection outrunning a Corvette. Can I send my tire into KTM and get a replacement?" He laughed.

What seat are you using for your longer rides? I went with a Renazco seat which did help. Did you install an HT Racing oil cooler? That helped with extended oil service intervals for me since I now have about 1.6~1.7 liters of oil.

Stu
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #772
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

In the last two days I put ~150 street miles on mine; just doing some running around. She gets a steady weave about 83mph down I-35. But will run 75 for an hour or better with no problems.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #773
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
Cool Thanks for the insight; it sounds like you've got some experience with the MXC. It just happens the MXC is for sale locally and if it's still around in a couple more weeks I'll probably have the scratch to buy it (and NOT have to travel hundreds of miles to get it! ). There's a 525 SX right down the street for only $3K but it's a 4spd :(

I'll probably gear it high because the KX will suffice for any 1st/2nd gear stuff and that technical terrain is scarce in these parts.
You can add EXC 5th and 6th to an SX gearbox rather easily. Only need two gears and some clips, washers, etc...
By comparison, if you wanted to add MXC 5th and 6th to an SX gearbox, it's four gears and some shafts plus the clips, washers, bla bla bla.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #774
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
You can add EXC 5th and 6th to an SX gearbox rather easily. Only need two gears and some clips, washers, etc...
By comparison, if you wanted to add MXC 5th and 6th to an SX gearbox, it's four gears and some shafts plus the clips, washers, bla bla bla.

Sean
Typical price on whole used EXC gear sets are 300$+-.

LILBIT screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 07:09 PM
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #775
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Typical price on whole used EXC gear sets are 300$+-.
True but some people actually like the hybrid gearbox. Close-ratio 1st-4th (like SX and MXC) and a couple overdrive gears for open terrain or connecting trails via roads. Best of both worlds for those people.
Personally I prefer the complete EXC gearbox for my DS 525 but I prefer the SX/MXC gearbox for MX.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #776
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Response...

I'm going to start out by saying that this is a thread dealing with the 450/525/530 KTMs as dual sport bikes. I do not think we should get sidetracked onto "what is the best bike for me" or "is the Husky the best DS bike" or other tacks. There are threads for that. The Suzuki DS bikes are fine for what they do.

The KTMs are race bikes with soul that are aggressive, light, responsive and not for every bike rider. We are concerned with using them as DS bikes and we are not interested in other marques. Our modifications are for KTMs only.

Please do not ask us if the Husky (or whatever) is the best bike for your purposes. Huskys are great bikes. This thread is about KTMs, also great bikes, and we don't want to be distracted from our interest.

My personal recommendation for you would be a KTM 450 EXC. Powerful but not overwhelming as the 525 can sometimes be. A great all around bike and very reliable. It is a race bike and that means race interval maintenance. If you are not ready for that then stay with mildly tuned bikes. If you are ready then the reward of a light weight, supple, responsive to every imput and powerful race bike that has a tag is a joy beyond belief. The KTM EXCs deliver.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #777
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper-at-heart

I want my next bike to be the baddest high performance dirtbike available street legal and not 300+ pounds.
Husaberg 650 FE. It's a KTM cousin any way.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #778
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK
True but some people actually like the hybrid gearbox. Close-ratio 1st-4th (like SX and MXC) and a couple overdrive gears for open terrain or connecting trails via roads. Best of both worlds for those people.
Personally I prefer the complete EXC gearbox for my DS 525 but I prefer the SX/MXC gearbox for MX.

Sean
I understand. My engine is apart and am having conflicting ideas about what to do. Riding agressively in sand i really like the MXC with a Recluse. Originally my thought was to add the EXC 6th only. I never use 6th offroad any way. My current idea is full EXC and lose the Recluse. I love the auto and LHB offroad but hate it on pavement.

LILBIT screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 07:06 AM
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #779
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Problem Year KTMs

Yooper,

The threads on KTMTalk have a lot of information on the 450/525 by year. Only the '05 seemed to have a problem from the factory which was a kick start gear. That issue is thoroughly covered there. KTM corrected the defective part, BTW.

I had an '03 450 EXC that was incredibly reliable. However, one of the valve cover bolts broke and oil gushed out. It turned out that some of these bolts were the wrong hardness and incorrectly marked from the supplier to KTM. KTM responded with correct bolts as soon as the problem surfaced. I just went to my local bearing supply and picked up the correct harness bolts and took care of it myself. An easy fix. You can expect this sort of issue with any bike but not all manufacturers jump on problems and solve them quickly the way KTM did.

I think the real issue for a used bike will be the maintenance and how hard the bike was run. Oil changes and rigorous air filter cleaning are absolutely essential. If this has been less than stellar you will have to take your chances. If it has had a high RPM racing life you could be in for a top end job at the least. KTMs are extremely reliable and made so from the factory so the owner's care is critical.

Caveat Emptor.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #780
LILBIT
Ride you must.

450 & 525 are the exact same bike other than cylinder and piston.