Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #781
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
I understand. My engine is apart and am having conflicting ideas about what to do. Riding agressively in sand i really like the MXC with a Recluse. Originally my thought was to add the EXC 6th only. I never use 6th offroad any way. My current idea is full EXC and lose the Recluse. I love the auto and LHB offroad but hate it on pavement.
My 250 has a Rekluse and LHRB. Actually I bought the 250 for my wife and added those parts afterwards. It's plated but the gearing was way too close for those pavement jaunts. Still though, that bike rocks in the tight stuff. I bought my wife her own 525 EXC to replace it and it already had a Rekluse Pro in it. She likes it just like that so I won't add the LHRB to it. Besides having the clutch override makes the shifting easier on the transmission when on the road. I have run 14/48 on that bike and it's perfectly fine for trails but I find that it makes 6th too tall on the street, rendering it useless anywhere really. For me the perfect gearing on the RFS EXCs is 14/52. Makes 1st pretty low but lets me use 6th from 55 mph without too much chain slap. With the Rekluse it's just magic.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #782
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu

My personal recommendation for you would be a KTM 450 EXC. Powerful but not overwhelming as the 525 can sometimes be.
Funny I find the 525 more like a big 400, very user-friendly. I find the 450 to have that "surge" in the midrange when it gets on the cam, exactly what you don't want in slippery conditions. I like to call it the "lively" model. The 525 pulls solid from down low and builds power in a very linear fashion. It does get a little crazy if you pin it but you have to really want to go there. It doesn't just get away from you all of a sudden.
I wanted to replace my wife's 250 RFS with a bigger bike. Most of our riding group rides KTM and she tried the 400 and 450. She still preferred the 525 and 400 over the 450. Extra power but very easy to manage. Plus she can actually use the extra power. Here she is at the track on my 520SX. You want to talk about a powerful and overwhelming motor?

Sean

edited for clarity

GR0NK screwed with this post 09-29-2009 at 03:35 PM
Old 09-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #783
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
525/530 Vs. 450

Gronk,

Your points are well taken and certainly appropriate for many people. My impressions are a sample set of 1, but with experience with all of the 4-stroke KTMs.

I personally prefer the 525/530 motors as do you but with caveats. In order to keep my 525 EXC from wildly wheelie-ing at every possible opportunity (sort of like earlier Nortons shedding parts like a stripper shedding bras and undies), and unlike my 450, I installed the full Akrapovic system. It has a larger header pipe that increases top end but reduces the lunge off the bottom. And then to bring a bit of the bottom end snap back I installed Trail Tech's 7oz. lighter flywheel, a hop up mod that is absolutely fabulous. Now my 525 feels like my old 450 -- instant and zippy power everywhere without the wheelies that feel like they are going to get away from me. The difference with the 525 and 450 is that the 525 simply never runs out of steam.

If the author of this inquiry picks either the 450 or the 525/530 they can not go wrong. They just have different feels.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #784
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Gronk,

Your points are well taken and certainly appropriate for many people. My impressions are a sample set of 1, but with experience with all of the 4-stroke KTMs.

I personally prefer the 525/530 motors as do you but with caveats. In order to keep my 525 EXC from wildly wheelie-ing at every possible opportunity (sort of like earlier Nortons shedding parts like a stripper shedding bras and undies), and unlike my 450, I installed the full Akrapovic system. It has a larger header pipe that increases top end but reduces the lunge off the bottom. And then to bring a bit of the bottom end snap back I installed Trail Tech's 7oz. lighter flywheel, a hop up mod that is absolutely fabulous. Now my 525 feels like my old 450 -- instant and zippy power everywhere without the wheelies that feel like they are going to get away from me. The difference with the 525 and 450 is that the 525 simply never runs out of steam.

If the author of this inquiry picks either the 450 or the 525/530 they can not go wrong. They just have different feels.

Stu
LOL.

Funny how all the bikes (save the 250) are all related by some common parts but they all have characters each their own.
I especially like the modular nature of the RFS motor. Being able to build configurations that were not even offered from the factory and creating a completely new engine persona. Whether it's mixing cranks, bores, cams or transmission ratios, I can think of no other bike on earth that can be so minutely customized by the end user.

Like you said, you can never go wrong with a KTM RFS bike.

Sean

Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #785
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
That's funny, Stu.

I run 14/52 gearing, HT racing "torque" header, and PC Ti-4 pipe with an auto clutch. Wheelies are all in the right wrist.

Or get your head over the bars, it'll stay down.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #786
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,666
I like my '07 - a lot.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #787
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,802
nice pic Wachs!
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #788
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 618
Hey Wachs

What tank is that on your 07? Acerbis 6.6?

I gotta 07 450, love it, love the RFS, love all my KTMs
KrustyKustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #789
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
The 525 is an excellent bike. Love the motor, love the grunt and will pull until the cows come home. The 400 is a quick revver and tidy in the tight stuff. For me, however, the 450 toes the line right down the middle and has been brilliant.

Love my 07!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #790
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,408
My new-to-me 525 is finally getting dialed in. We've been planning a Baja trip for this winter, and now I'm torn on whether to take the 525 or my 950 Adventure.

It's rough having these choices to make.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #791
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom
What tank is that on your 07? Acerbis 6.6?
Not my bike but if you look at the thickness of the tank as it flares around the radiator it does not appear to be a 6.6

Check mine, the bike on the right..that's a 6.6

Now look at the what it looks like with the stock KTM 13L big tank.

Looks paper thin compared the Valdez tank.

Indulge me for one last beauty shot....look between the weeds -you'll see it....

Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #792
teti
especie en extincion

Oddometer: 143
530 caja rota 6 ,

buenas tardes,

paso a mostrar mi 530 exc 2009

5000 km 90 horas, y volo la 6 marcha, de paso cambie el piston

usaba transmision 14-45 , q puede ser la causante de la rotura?

teti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #793
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 622
Seats

What seat do you run on your 525?........I recently aquired one and after 2 full days on the stock seat.........my arse was done, done, done.
Gunslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #794
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1
What seat do you run on your 525?........I recently aquired one and after 2 full days on the stock seat.........my arse was done, done, done.
Gutz Racing seat foam.....
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #795
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
Gutz Racing seat foam.....
It still sucks just less than stock. Mines got a 1" wider (towards the rear)home brewed unit. A touch thicker too so i no longer feel the bulge in the pan. One step better the Gutz foam.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote