User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
chillmc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Need some help, XL600 will not start

I'm going to try to keep a long story short. Bought my 83 XL600 last February, in great shape, no issues. Skip to January of this year. I wanted to start it up just to let the engine cycle as it had been sitting for a couple months. I couldn't get it started so I took the seat off and saw that a mouse had filled my intake with bird seed. I vacuumed it all out, none of the seed made it past the air filter. I then kicked the bike over and started it up, just to make sure everything was fine. No problems. So I stuffed the intake with rolled up socks just to make sure the mouse couldn't do it again. A few weeks later, I went to start it up to make a trip to the gas station to fill the tank. It was hard as hell to start, and when it did fire up, it ran HARD for a couple of seconds and I hit the kill switch. Then it hit me, I left the damn socks in the intake!! Took them out, and attempted to start it again. Wouldn't start. After multiple failed attempts, I had to walk away. I went back a week later and it still wouldn't start. I drained the carb bowls and attempted to kick it over again and again. I check the carbs and the bowls had fuel, so I know fuel delivery wasn't the issue. I took out the plug and replaced it with a new one and tested for spark. No spark. I was planning on getting a new stator, coil, and regulator anyway so here was my excuse. Put them in 2 days ago, let the RTV on the grommet dry, and yesterday tested for spark. I have a nice little blue spark. Put the plug in, the gas tank on, went to start it up....and nothing. I have fuel, I have spark, I have airflow, I have compression but I cannot get this bike to fire. It can't be the cold weather because I had this bike last year and starting it up in the cold was not an issue. The plug is new and not fouled or getting soaked in gas or oil. The gas is pretty fresh (January with startron stabilizer) I'm stumped. I can only guess it is from valve lash, and I need to adjust them back to spec but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep this bike for a while and I don't want to have to give up on it, but don't know what to do.
chillmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,077
PM sent

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote