User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #1546
Mr. Guy
Ubernoob

Oddometer: 151
XT250 skid plate

Hi, I'm having trouble finding a skid plate for my 2008 XT250. Anybody have any ideas.

Thanks, Guy
Mr. Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #1547
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guy
Hi, I'm having trouble finding a skid plate for my 2008 XT250. Anybody have any ideas.

Thanks, Guy
The aluminum plate for the KLR650 at WhitehorseGear.com can be made to fit and Turbocity.com has one also.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #1548
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Oddometer: 220
Turbo City XT250 parts
Old 04-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #1549
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,644
Guy,
In case you don't know about http://www.xt225.com/
Lots of XT225 and XT250 info there.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #1550
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I've posted this bike before but not sure if it's in this thread. If it is, I'm posting it again. I sold this bike last year and want it back. I'm going to get another in the next few months and build it just like this one....again.

It started as a normal xr250R

I tore it down and greased all bearings. I also replaced the shock linkage bearings (they didn't need it but I thought they did).

I ordered a few parts

I had about $2k total into this bike. It handled just like my kdx when I wanted it to. It was PERFECT for 55 and under dualsporting. It would climb any goat trail I cared to. I'm getting another one

yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #1551
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Thought I would toss out a couple of questions for all you MT riders.

Anyone going to the Aerostich 25th anniversary party in Duluth, Minnesota 8/22-24 (details at www.boringrally.com). My plan (I am going) is to take my DR250SE and then loop Superior and Huron (opposite direction as last time) on my return trip home.

What about the BYOB 6/6-8. This one might be tough for me with my work schedule but possible. Anyone going to be there with their MT rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
I've posted this bike before but not sure if it's in this thread. If it is, I'm posting it again. I sold this bike last year and want it back. I'm going to get another in the next few months and build it just like this one....again.

I tore it down and greased all bearings. I also replaced the shock linkage bearings (they didn't need it but I thought they did).

I ordered a few parts
I had about $2k total into this bike. It handled just like my kdx when I wanted it to. It was PERFECT for 55 and under dualsporting. It would climb any goat trail I cared to.

I'm getting another one

Yater, that's a common look to my bikes on a regular basis. Couldn't part with my DR250/350SE's, no way. Well at least you know what to do the second time around.

Have put about 500 miles on mine (DR250SE) sorting out areas yet to be addressed. Went out today for another run.

Here's a shot from the cockpit.
Attached Images

steve gs screwed with this post 04-28-2008 at 09:25 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #1552
NDVR
Ben

Oddometer: 53
steve gs

I'll be headed to the Duluth rally in August if I can master some mechanical skills between now and then. I'm way too noob to attempt a ride from Ohio to Minnesota without some idea of what to do should I break down or puncture a tire.
NDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #1553
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDVR
I'll be headed to the Duluth rally in August if I can master some mechanical skills between now and then. I'm way too noob to attempt a ride from Ohio to Minnesota without some idea of what to do should I break down or puncture a tire.
Tires aren't that bad, although I will say that having the right tools makes a HUGE difference. I used to use some cheap tire levers I got, they were crap. It would take forever and I would scratch the hell out of the rims. I bought some 12 inch motion pro's and some plastic rim protectors and was never happier about spending some $$ on tools. I put 2 tires on the KLR this weekend in less than an hour, I barely broke a sweat.
Think of the $$ you will save on not paying someone else to do it and you won't mind spending the $$. I also grabbed an old milk crate and slit an old innertube and stapled it around the edge as a place to break down the tire in the garage.

It is something that you should practice in your garage once or twice before you go. there are plenty of write ups on the "how to do its" the hardest part for me is dealing with rim locks and getting the valve back through the rim. Most dirt bike type tires don't require a bead breaker either. Tubes are my biggest complaint on bikes like this, they are a PITA compared to the ability to plug a tubeless tire.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:29 AM   #1554
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Good advice from motorbiker.

The rim protectors should be part of your travel kit, get 2 sets of 2. Add a set of good irons and a bit of practice which you will get when you fit the new tires for your trip and you will be good to go. Take the next step by balancing your wheelset with dynabeads (www.innovativebalancing.com). I have mentioned both of these things before in previous pages of this thread.

You have three things to consider for long distance touring, the bike, you, and you and the bike.

To prepare your bike for long distance touring go through everything whether it is new or a seasoned veteran, no assumptions accepted. Check everything by inspecting/repairing/replacing all bearing/pivot points for grease, final drive for wear, wheel bearings, controls, fuel system, electrical harness, connections, bulbs, and battery. If in doubt replace it.

Don't forget you! Get out and ride ride ride. Learn your bike. Develope the physical and mental capabilities for hours in the saddle if long distance touring is your passion. This sort of naturally rolls into the third element which is the symbiosis of you and your bike. As I have mentioned before, READ Weary By Sundown by Dr Stroud which appeared in the 11/07 BMWMOA Owners News.

Set up the ergos so you are comfortable and can move around to stretch out as you cruise along. Don't be surprised if you have the wrong bike for good ergos. I look for a weight distribution balance between my legs and arse with virtually no weight on my hands. My upper body is fully supported by my quads (a good reason to take up cycling). This is a somewhat leaned forward attitude with the added benefit that the back is unloaded with minimal weight on the arse. An indication of my form breaking down is when I begin to "grip" the bars in anything other than a control activity. Take regular breaks and you can ride all day long.

NDVR or anyone else thinking of going to the Aerostich Rally and would travel through SE lower Michigan area PM me and perhaps we could put together a group run. As I have stated before the best way to MT with a group is to allow each to run at their own pace and have rally points along the route to keep track of riders.

steve gs screwed with this post 04-29-2008 at 06:02 AM
Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #1555
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater

I had about $2k total into this bike. It handled just like my kdx when I wanted it to. It was PERFECT for 55 and under dualsporting. It would climb any goat trail I cared to. I'm getting another one

Very nice XR man!

Heres the vid from last weekend, a slow ride with Kanny on her Suzuki TU250 Volty that has been turned into a scrambler:

Ride Report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336495

Bumble, the mighty ADV Volty!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #1556
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
interested in riding part way

If there is a group passing thru SE MI I would be interested in riding part of the way up. Can't commint to it all but maybe a couple of days headed north would work. I would be using a DR200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Good advice from motorbiker.

The rim protectors should be part of your travel kit, get 2 sets of 2. Add a set of good irons and a bit of practice which you will get when you fit the new tires for your trip and you will be good to go. Take the next step by balancing your wheelset with dynabeads (www.innovativebalancing.com). I have mentioned both of these things before in previous pages of this thread.

You have three things to consider for long distance touring, the bike, you, and you and the bike.

To prepare your bike for long distance touring go through everything whether it is new or a seasoned veteran, no assumptions accepted. Check everything by inspecting/repairing/replacing all bearing/pivot points for grease, final drive for wear, wheel bearings, controls, fuel system, electrical harness, connections, bulbs, and battery. If in doubt replace it.

Don't forget you! Get out and ride ride ride. Learn your bike. Develope the physical and mental capabilities for hours in the saddle if long distance touring is your passion. This sort of naturally rolls into the third element which is the symbiosis of you and your bike. As I have mentioned before, READ Weary By Sundown by Dr Stroud which appeared in the 11/07 BMWMOA Owners News.

Set up the ergos so you are comfortable and can move around to stretch out as you cruise along. Don't be surprised if you have the wrong bike for good ergos. I look for a weight distribution balance between my legs and arse with virtually no weight on my hands. My upper body is fully supported by my quads (a good reason to take up cycling). This is a somewhat leaned forward attitude with the added benefit that the back is unloaded with minimal weight on the arse. An indication of my form breaking down is when I begin to "grip" the bars in anything other than a control activity. Take regular breaks and you can ride all day long.

NDVR or anyone else thinking of going to the Aerostich Rally and would travel through SE lower Michigan area PM me and perhaps we could put together a group run. As I have stated before the best way to MT with a group is to allow each to run at their own pace and have rally points along the route to keep track of riders.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #1557
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,050
That's gorgeous. Another unavailable Suzuki here.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #1558
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1952
If there is a group passing thru SE MI I would be interested in riding part of the way up. Can't commint to it all but maybe a couple of days headed north would work. I would be using a DR200.
in conjunction with this, i live about 1/2 way up michigan in the thumb, 30 minutes east of i75 and m81. i have tools, a compressor, a garage and an understanding and patient wife.

should anyone need assistance i can provide contact information ahead of time.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #1559
yaitisme
Gigity gigity Gig-it-y!

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
That's gorgeous. Another unavailable Suzuki here.

That is a sweet lil machine!!!

2008 Kawasaki KLR6Fitty (red, the fast one)

Yamaha XJ600S Seca II (red, the fast one)

RIP '04 Kawasaki KLR2Fitty (red, the fast one)

"The North American P-51-D Mustang with the Rolls-Royce designed, Packard built, Merlin engine and Laminar flow wing is the greatest airplane ever built. We should build more of them, just because we can." Brian Nelson
yaitisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #1560
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeker43
in conjunction with this, i live about 1/2 way up michigan in the thumb, 30 minutes east of i75 and m81. i have tools, a compressor, a garage and an understanding and patient wife.

should anyone need assistance i can provide contact information ahead of time.

Great, we'll be there in the morning!

Route plan is rather simple, northbound through the lower (something like find way to 15 then to 13, pick up old 76, to 27, and run Grayling Hwy (old 27) and then I-75 to Mac). The UP is easy, stay with 2 or jump a bit north to run 28, depends what you want to see. Willing to pick up riders anywhere along route. I cruise at 50 mph.

I have to travel to the BMWRA annual rally at Houghton (UP) in June and will run planned route for this trip.