Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #1561
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeker43
in conjunction with this, i live about 1/2 way up michigan in the thumb, 30 minutes east of i75 and m81. i have tools, a compressor, a garage and an understanding and patient wife.

should anyone need assistance i can provide contact information ahead of time.
Along this line, I am in Brighton (interchange of US23 and I-96) have tools, oversize garage, computer and a state rec area campground a few miles away.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #1562
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Great, we'll be there in the morning!

Route plan is rather simple, northbound through the lower (something like find way to 15 then to 13, pick up old 76, to 27, and run Grayling Hwy (old 27) and then I-75 to Mac). The UP is easy, stay with 2 or jump a bit north to run 28, depends what you want to see. Willing to pick up riders anywhere along route. I cruise at 50 mph.

I have to travel to the BMWRA annual rally at Houghton (UP) in June and will run planned route for this trip.

m33 is easily accessible from bay city (m13) and goes almost all the to mackinaw. plus there are lots of nice dirt and back roads to check out on the way.

are you taking the f650 to the bmw rally? i debating whether or not to go... there are several other advers in the area.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #1563
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeker43
m33 is easily accessible from bay city (m13) and goes almost all the to mackinaw. plus there are lots of nice dirt and back roads to check out on the way.

are you taking the f650 to the bmw rally? i debating whether or not to go... there are several other advers in the area.

Taking the F650 to Houghton and wifey, if she goes, will ride hers up too. She's a little weak on gear if the weather turns sour and needs put that part of her kit together. Though I was just there in Sept being a Tech alumni it's always fun to visit the area. Sure has changed in 30yrs. It will be a tight timeframe window for me. Will go for dorm room accommodations. I set the cruise (wrist) to 50 mph and let it roll and roll and roll.

The Aerostich trip on the 250 (hopefully) will also include a Superior/Huron looping on the return trip since I'm already near the midpoint. I also really like Duluth. Wifey and I did the ole honeymoon in the BWCA. I generally avoid tourist season tripping/camping opting for the fall but these two rallies will break the rule. No time to smell the roses on this trip either, save that for late Sept and Oct.

The DR250SE seems to be okay but for it's overall economy and power it is a bit lacking. With the recent cold dense air days it is apparent how lean this thing is jetted. I'm going to try a couple of experiments. First, will be the airbox mod, rejet, and fit my cored DR350SE muffler which is still quiet. Second, swap out carb with DR350 pumper carb. I'm trying to find a balance between economy and power hoping to remain above 60mpg for the 250.

Head to head in STOCK form the DR200SE engine outperforms the DR250SE engine below 5000 rpm. The 200 carries it's muscle down low and is finished by 6000rpm and the 250 starts at 5000 and carries it up from there. Sure, the 250 is more powerful and the bike is bigger but the 200 surely has some grunt. We'll see what the experiments reveal.

Jumping ship to my F650GSD, though I have many criticisms (weight, vibes)you have to give credit where credit is due. For a solid overlanding platform it delivers. Riding solo you can load it down like a packmule, cruise at 3800-4000rpm, and still get 60+ mpg. Once you learn the game it's easy to service. It is my benchmark.

steve gs screwed with this post 05-02-2008 at 05:25 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #1564
dunkee
life is elsewhere

Oddometer: 18
"...as the ultimate in baggage, also consider taking a companion of the opposite sex." -Ed Buryn, Vagabonding in Europe and North Africa (1971)

my first touring bike was an '87 KZ305. i've had faster and heavier machines since then, and 90% of the time they have been overkill for the type of riding\roads i enjoy the most.

the only time i appreciate the extra power is when i'm going up a mountain with a girlfriend on the back; and even then, what's the hurry?

this is a great thread. (i haven't read much of it, but i've looked through most of the pictures.) my next bike will be air-cooled, easy to pick up, and probably about 400cc.
dunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #1565
Supersignet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Just thought I'd updeate the news on my bike. The Shineray GY-7 has been doing great. I've hit 3300km today and have had the bike about a month. It's been perfect for me and I'm only unhappy with the fact the paint on the plastic gastank is falling off. I'm currently waiting for a new tank to arrive from the factory.

I talked to the factory about people getting the bike in Canada and the US because I've received a lot of emails about it. The factory is looking for a partner in the US and Canada. What they really want is for someone to bring the bikes to the US under the Shineray name. The bikes are currently EPA and DOT certified, but until they find the right person to help them with their sales in the US they will remain in China.

Click here to read a review of the bike

Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #1566
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,517
If anyone is interested in a NX250 that is setup for Adventure riding and ready to go, I have one for sale... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336551
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #1567
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,120
Picked up this little guy for my son's 15 b-day (and maybe a bit of X-mas).

1995 Dr250s, nicely farkled (exhaust/sprocket/guards/bags/new tires), 2nd owner.

4k miles!

He was stoked, we just need to find some dry weekends to play with it.

Nice to see this thread.

"If I wanted someone to clean me up I'de find myself a maid"-Dawes
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #1568
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod

1995 Dr250s, nicely farkled (exhaust/sprocket/guards/bags/new tires), 2nd owner.

4k miles!

Nice to see this thread.

Congrats on the 250.

Added a 250 to join my 350 this past summer with rehab over winter. Hit the road for the first time a couple of weeks ago; pictures a page or two back.

Found it necessary to rebuild rear suspension (bearings and bushings) and several other things. Though a generation behind, once sorted the performance is quite respectable. My DR350SE (rejetted w/airbox and exhaust mods) is deceptively quick and can leave our F650GS behind.

Though my aim with the 250 is a tourer, the jetting was so lean that I will have to compromise somewhat with the economy to get a better cushion with the jetting.

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #1569
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Though my aim with the 250 is a tourer, the jetting was so lean that I will have to compromise somewhat with the economy to get a better cushion with the jetting.

Just checking, you have cleaned the carb, I presume? Of course it would run lean if some of the jets were partially varnished.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #1570
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,400
Handguards ??

Hey Tripod ....
Looks like a nice DR .... what handguards are those ??? Do you have a picture from the front ??

Thanks - Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod

4k miles!

Nice to see this thread.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #1571
Jaqhammar
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
Speaking of small bore touring...

This couple are legends, guy and a gal on 125 Yamaha's touring the world.

http://www.re-moto.com/index.php
Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #1572
gelato
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
very, very lean KL250

Anybody here have any experience with the Super Sherpas and the jetting?
I picked up a 2001 a few weeks ago and have been having some troubles... but love it anyway! Tonight on my way home at a crusing speed of 67 mph, the thing just stalled completely... of course I was in the left lane too.
I pulled over, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, flipped the gas to "prime" and started right up and made it the rest of the way home.
And yes, I did have gas in the tank.
This is the 5th? time it's done this to me this week. Each time was a bit different, but all the same... humming along and no signs of trouble... then it just dies.
No noise, no lurching, no sputtering... nada.
I'm convinced it's either the jetting and it's starving itself or the carbs are completely shi-lacked and need to be cleaned. I haven't checked the carbs yet... have to sweet talk the hubby.
Suggestions?

-62 Gilera
106cc's of speed & adventure!
-01 Super Sherpa KL250
gelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #1573
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Does the Super Sherpa have a vacuum line from the petcock to feed the carb. If so, I'd replace it and then make sure the tank is venting.

Turning to prime bypasses the vacuum line so it is suspect to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelato
I picked up a 2001 a few weeks ago and have been having some troubles... but love it anyway! Tonight on my way home at a crusing speed of 67 mph, the thing just stalled completely... of course I was in the left lane too.
I pulled over, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, flipped the gas to "prime" and started right up and made it the rest of the way home.
And yes, I did have gas in the tank.
This is the 5th? time it's done this to me this week. Each time was a bit different, but all the same... humming along and no signs of trouble... then it just dies.
No noise, no lurching, no sputtering... nada.
I'm convinced it's either the jetting and it's starving itself or the carbs are completely shi-lacked and need to be cleaned. I haven't checked the carbs yet... have to sweet talk the hubby.
Suggestions?
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #1574
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
If the SuperSherpa runs OK on 'PRIME'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelato
I... flipped the gas to "prime" and started right up and made it the rest of the way home. .... Suggestions?
I agree with John L. if the bike runs fine while on the 'PRIME' setting then I also suspect the vacuum fuel auto shut-off system.

You can test ride it on the prime setting without any problems but remember to turn the tap back to 'ON' when you stop riding. Also you will not have any reserve fuel so keep the tank filled.

If your test ride(s) using 'prime' are OK then I would not mess with the jetting but check all the parts of the fuel shut-off valve and the vacuum connection.

You could also replace the fuel valve with an older model that has the 'OFF' 'ON' and 'RESERVE' settings and no connection to the vacuum fitting. Be sure to plug the vacuum connection if you make the change to this manual fuel control valve but now you would have to remember to shut the fuel off after each ride all the time.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Carl
OffRoadCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #1575
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftee
Hey Tripod ....
Looks like a nice DR .... what handguards are those ??? Do you have a picture from the front ??

Thanks - Larry
"PowerMadd". The PO put them on, don't know anything about them. Will try to get a picture from the front, but they do touch the blinks. I think they might be ATV guards.

"If I wanted someone to clean me up I'de find myself a maid"-Dawes
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote