Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #1576
gelato
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadCruiser
I agree with John L. if the bike runs fine while on the 'PRIME' setting then I also suspect the vacuum fuel auto shut-off system.

You can test ride it on the prime setting without any problems but remember to turn the tap back to 'ON' when you stop riding. Also you will not have any reserve fuel so keep the tank filled.

If your test ride(s) using 'prime' are OK then I would not mess with the jetting but check all the parts of the fuel shut-off valve and the vacuum connection.

You could also replace the fuel valve with an older model that has the 'OFF' 'ON' and 'RESERVE' settings and no connection to the vacuum fitting. Be sure to plug the vacuum connection if you make the change to this manual fuel control valve but now you would have to remember to shut the fuel off after each ride all the time.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Carl

We pulled it apart and took a look. My hubby had suspected the same thing... that or that I ran out of gas. What we came to the conclusion of is that the vaccum is fine. It was weird when we were trying to drain the tank becuase the gas wasn't draining when it was on "on". So, we pulled the whole thing out of the tank and discovered the "on" setting pulls gas from so far up the tank that after a gallon or so has been used (in the 2.4 gal tank), the "on" setting can't pull fuel anymore... it's too high. "Prime" and "reserve" both pull from a lower fitting. So, I'm going to try running the bike in "prime" or "reserve" on my way to work tomorrow... I had almost a gallon left in the tank when we drained it.
So, I figure I will try again tomorrow, fill up, and see if it still does that with a full tank in "on". If it does... we've got some more digging to do. If not, I think the problem is solved... I ran out of gas without being out of gas.
yay! Love my little jelly bean tank!

-62 Gilera
106cc's of speed & adventure!
-01 Super Sherpa KL250
gelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #1577
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelato
Anybody here have any experience with the Super Sherpas and the jetting?
I picked up a 2001 a few weeks ago and have been having some troubles... but love it anyway! Tonight on my way home at a crusing speed of 67 mph, the thing just stalled completely... of course I was in the left lane too.
I pulled over, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, flipped the gas to "prime" and started right up and made it the rest of the way home.
And yes, I did have gas in the tank.
If there's a fuel filter in the gas line remove it. If the gas line is too long and droops too much from the tank to the carb, shorten/replace it.

My Sherpa did the same thing when I tried to put in an inline fuel filter. I'm running a transparent piece of straight hose now, so I can see when/if there's no fuel in the line.

It's probably also worth checking the petcock, to see if the vacuum line still holds vacuum. If you do a little searching, you'll find information on how to replace it with a manual petcock from an XT350. There is a Yahoo Group called "1999-2003 Super Sherpa" that has a lot of information in it.

Your problem is almost definitely not jetting, but if you do want to rejet, put a message in to DrJeckle in the Yahoo group. He can set you up with the jets and instructions.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #1578
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Might try cutting the pipe that is 'too high'

Quote:
So, we pulled the whole thing out of the tank and discovered the "on" setting pulls gas from so far up the tank that after a gallon or so has been used (in the 2.4 gal tank), the "on" setting can't pull fuel anymore... it's too high.
You could try cutting the pipe that is 'too high'. The more you cut off that pipe the less reserve you will have but most small bikes only have one quart or two reserve so one gallon seems excessive.

As long as you remember to pull into the very next gas station once you switch to reserve you should be fine. or get hubby to carry spare gas for you

Carl
OffRoadCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #1579
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadCruiser
You could try cutting the pipe that is 'too high'. The more you cut off that pipe the less reserve you will have but most small bikes only have one quart or two reserve so one gallon seems excessive.

As long as you remember to pull into the very next gas station once you switch to reserve you should be fine. or get hubby to carry spare gas for you

Carl
I really should do that to my sherpa as well. The reserve on my sherpa sounds like it's a bit smaller, but it's still 1/3 of the tank - theoretically giving me 70km+ range in reserve, but running the bike a loooong way on reserve doesn't seem like a good idea, so a lot of the fuel capacity doesn't get used.
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #1580
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Wow! I'm speechless, Hammock dweller. I'm retired American military, so the post was very moving. Beautiful shots, btw.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. What model of Givi is your top box.
2. What's the make and model of your tent. That thing looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock dweller

Edited by Doc250 (09 April, 2008 03:29 PM)
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #1581
h17
Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer: 747
same with yours

mine is an E52 Top Box

http://haryowidodo.com
h17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #1582
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Very nice! Are those E21's on the side? Tell us more about the Yahama. I don't think I've heard of that model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h17
same with yours

mine is an E52 Top Box

tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #1583
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Just checking, you have cleaned the carb, I presume? Of course it would run lean if some of the jets were partially varnished.

Klay;

As we had already exchanged via PM's the carb had high altitude jetting. Such would not cut it here in Michigan.

Just thought I would also mention here.

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #1584
h17
Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
Very nice! Are those E21's on the side? Tell us more about the Yahama. I don't think I've heard of that model.
Yes it is E21's on the side...

Yamaha Nouvo is A small Scooter... smaller than Yamaha Majesty/ Piaggio X9

http://haryowidodo.com
h17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #1585
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Anybody here have any experience with the Super Sherpas and the jetting?
I picked up a 2001 a few weeks ago and have been having some troubles... but love it anyway! Tonight on my way home at a crusing speed of 67 mph, the thing just stalled completely... of course I was in the left lane too.
I pulled over, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, wouldn't start, flipped the gas to "prime" and started right up and made it the rest of the way home.
And yes, I did have gas in the tank.
This is the 5th? time it's done this to me this week. Each time was a bit different, but all the same... humming along and no signs of trouble... then it just dies.
No noise, no lurching, no sputtering... nada.
I'm convinced it's either the jetting and it's starving itself or the carbs are completely shi-lacked and need to be cleaned. I haven't checked the carbs yet... have to sweet talk the hubby.
Suggestions?
Join the sherpa yahoo group and there is a guy on there that sells a little jet kit and very detailed instructions on setup. I think it involves drilling the fuel screw (brass cap) and installing a larger main jet....possibly a new needle or a spacer. I did this to mine several years ago. The kit is cheap...$15 IIRC and is a great improvement. You can just start it and ride after dialing it in....no more 10 minute warmups.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #1586
rapidrider
rapidrider

Oddometer: 224
You might check for a pinched fuel line or clogged inline fuel filter. Sounds like fuel starvation under load.

Re-jetting these small bikes really helps also. From the factory they are all too lean in order to meet EPA standards.

Good luck tracking the problem.
rapidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:16 AM   #1587
Hammock dweller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
tremor38, to answer your questions...

The Givi is an E52 maxia. It looks huge on the little XT but when you have to cram all of your camping gear on the bike there is no substitute for cubic inches, as the saying goes. It fits well onto my homemade rear rack and it handled the weight no problem. If I lean right back I can use it as a backrest. No room for a pillion on there!

The tent is a Hillerberg Nallo GT 2. This is a lightweight, fullsize 2 man tent with a large vestibule on the end. I can get all of my panniers inside there and still have enough room to sit and even cook if it's raining. This means that I don't have to keep going in the sleeping area when the bugs are out. It packs down pretty small, I fit it inside my E36 side pannier when I'm on my Tiger and it only weighs 2 1/2 Kg, 5 1/2 lbs. The only downside is they cost 400!!
Hammock dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #1588
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock dweller
tremor38, to answer your questions...

The Givi is an E52 maxia. It looks huge on the little XT but when you have to cram all of your camping gear on the bike there is no substitute for cubic inches, as the saying goes. It fits well onto my homemade rear rack and it handled the weight no problem. If I lean right back I can use it as a backrest. No room for a pillion on there!

The tent is a Hillerberg Nallo GT 2. This is a lightweight, fullsize 2 man tent with a large vestibule on the end. I can get all of my panniers inside there and still have enough room to sit and even cook if it's raining. This means that I don't have to keep going in the sleeping area when the bugs are out. It packs down pretty small, I fit it inside my E36 side pannier when I'm on my Tiger and it only weighs 2 1/2 Kg, 5 1/2 lbs. The only downside is they cost 400!!
Haha! Yeah, I figured it would look pretty big on the XT. I use a motofizz most of the time, but I find myself craving the simplicity of the Givi, no matter how big it looks. I have a KLX250 D-tracker, so the E52 wouldn't look any smaller on my bike . Not having to worry about a rain cover and having the one key lock/release is definitely a plus though.

I dug through the entire thread a bit earlier, found the brand of your tent and went to the website. Looks like a quality product and I love the design.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:16 PM   #1589
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 341
Talking Random factoid...

I just felt like I had to brag about this all of a sudden. This looks like a good place to do that...My TW200 with a 55 tooth rear sprocket has ample hill-climbing torque at an indicated 2 mph without using the clutch. AHAHAHAHA. I just really like my TW and my snail tractor gearing...felt the need to write about it.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #1590
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687
I just felt like I had to brag about this all of a sudden. This looks like a good place to do that...My TW200 with a 55 tooth rear sprocket has ample hill-climbing torque at an indicated 2 mph without using the clutch. AHAHAHAHA. I just really like my TW and my snail tractor gearing...felt the need to write about it.
Sounds like a Rokon...
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote