Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #226
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,880
I toured the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to Oregon and back on a Bandit 400 back in 1992. I have an XT225 but have only gone on overnight trips with it; for longer DS rides I have a DRZ400 and for street a CBR929 (both with luggage).

I don't think I could take the XT's seat for more than two or three days. I wish you nutjobs the best.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #227
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant
I toured the Pacific Coast Highway from San Diego to Oregon and back on a Bandit 400 back in 1992. I have an XT225 but have only gone on overnight trips with it; for longer DS rides I have a DRZ400 and for street a CBR929 (both with luggage).

I don't think I could take the XT's seat for more than two or three days. I wish you nutjobs the best.
Minimalist touring men are toughtoughtough.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #228
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Zapp, the essential difference between the bikes other than e-start vs. kick is the KLR250 is water cooled and the Sherpa is air cooled. Some think liquid cooled engines are longer lasting.....but I don't really think so from reading many discussions about that. The Sherpa does sit a bit lower than the KLR (both can be lowered for the vertically challenged). There is not much aftermarket stuff for either bike. Maybe a little more for the KLR since it had a longer sales run here in the US than the Sherpa. The KLR has a six speed tranny...Sherpa?? Don't know how the ratios compare.
There are times it would be nice to be able to hit "the button" rather than kick it. The Sherpa does have a rear disc brake, the KLR has a drum.
Driller
The Sherpa (as opposed to the KLR) has e-start, a rear disk brake, an aluminum swingarm and a stainless steel muffler. The KLR250 makes about 0.6kw more power but it weighs 9 pounds more. Both have 6 speed trannys.

The most important difference on the trail is e-start, IMO. Colowife (Sherpa) and Lady Hannda (KLR250) tried to ride up this hill.

Both stalled out about 2/3ds of the way up. Guess who was able to re-start and make it to the top?

(Hint: It wasn't the KLR250.)

Colorado screwed with this post 03-06-2007 at 06:06 PM
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #229
motocyco
nOOb

Oddometer: 555
Here's a pic of my XT225 loaded up for a three day trip to the Scrub for Bike Week.

Seventy miles one-way to my destination might not exactly be considered touring , but it's not my fault that the event was basically in my back yard. Riding is riding.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #230
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler
Steve,

Would luv to see a pic or three of your DR200 in MT mode.

K eh? LR
Ok, you saw some of the pannier pics of the 200. Here's another one from 1/07 (but a side shot) when I was riding the NC Barrier Islands. Had NC biz trip and took bike along in van to spend an extra day or two riding once the biz was done.

This was first roadtest of the pannier setup and weather conditions were perfect ; temps in the low 40's with a 35mph headwind on the 65mile return leg. No handling or power issues whatsoever and don't expect even with a full load because for normal touring I would only be adding a tankbag (I use a Wolfman Denali, it's big) and small tailbag. Plus, my touring load is less weight than my daughter when we would ride 2 up.

Not a great photo but no other options to configure.

Can't wait to get rid of old man winter.
Attached Images

steve gs screwed with this post 03-08-2007 at 11:19 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #231
adaycj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Possibly relevant info about ratios. I have owned a TW200, and a XT250 (1980). The XT could pull to 60 mph fine and needed a long time at WOT to get to a top speed of 72 mph. The TW always seemed very underpowered, but could pull 62 mph with me on it at WOT for a 1/2 mile or so. Both were entirely stock. And all speeds are indicated and likely have the usual 10% optimism. The point isn't my "racing" abilities, simply that operating a thumper at WOT for extended periods is not desirable to most.

My current KLX250s can pull 80 mph with a 13 tooth front sprocket. I can rely on it to pull 70 mph speeds for miles at a time on the expressway. This keeps me out of trouble with traffic on my work commute. The XT and TW did not have tachs, but the KLX turns 1000 rpm for every 10 mph indicated. The engine really doesn't make much power below 3000 rpm and really is in a good place about 6000 rpm with the small sprocket change (1 tooth down in the front). This makes 55 mph roads almost a pleasure because you can travel with most traffic and don't have to hold the throttle fully open.

I personally believe that the KLX is a better choice despite the close ratio box. First gear could be lower off road, but it would have to be much lower to make a difference, since the engine really needs to be at 3000 rpm for good grunt anyway. The KLX expressway behaviour is actually improved with the smaller CS sprocket anyway, so a taller 6th wouldn't really help.

My real concern with the KLX as a touring machine is the durability of the valvetrain. The engine is an almost exact copy of the KLX 300 dirt bike engine. There have been some reports of valvetrain problems on these engines, especially under heavy trail use. Only time will tell if high RPM street running will amplify or mute the problems. It may well be that the engine will need valve work or a new head at or before 10000 miles of street use.
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #232
Ginsu4u
Yakitty Shmakitty.....

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
It may well be that the engine will need valve work or a new head at or before 10000 miles of street use.
I sure hope not!! My valves were at the bottom of the specs at 3800 miles. Check 'em WAY before the scheduled 7,200 miles.
Ginsu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #233
Ianovic
Greeeeeez Moooonkeeee

Oddometer: 91
Well, some may call it a porker, but mines on the operating table for a gastric bypass which should shed about 30 pounds. Who is my patient you ask? The NX250. baby dakar windscreen, 6 speed gearbox, honda reliability, water cooled, e-start, cruises at 70, have had it oh so close to triple digits, does just dandy in the dirt and has GREAT midrange power. Post op pictures to be posted....errr....post op...
Ianovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #234
Ms. Chiff
just a little

Oddometer: 731
Great thread.

I just bought a 2000 Super Sherpa two days ago and plan to take off for 6 weeks this summer. I'll be taking off from eastern Washington and will be spending most of my time in the western states.

I've just skimmed most of the posts, but I think I'll be spending some time here.

I was looking to buy an xt225, but when I found the Sherpa here locally, I couldn't pass it up.

So far it's been great fun!
Ms. Chiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #235
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,643
Thumb

this is an honest post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianovic
Well, some may call it a porker, but mines on the operating table for a gastric bypass which should shed about 30 pounds. Who is my patient you ask? The NX250. baby dakar windscreen, 6 speed gearbox, honda reliability, water cooled, e-start, cruises at 70, have had it oh so close to triple digits, does just dandy in the dirt and has GREAT midrange power. Post op pictures to be posted....errr....post op...
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #236
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,643
hmmmmm..... I have to weigh my response carefully, as I have an iffy estart bike and a 'start every time' kickstarter.....

could we say kawa was lucky with the sherp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
The Sherpa (as opposed to the KLR) has e-start, a rear disk brake, an aluminum swingarm and a stainless steel muffler. The KLR250 makes about 0.6kw more power but it weighs 9 pounds more. Both have 6 speed trannys.

The most important difference on the trail is e-start, IMO. Colowife (Sherpa) and Lady Hannda (KLR250) tried to ride up this hill.

Both stalled out about 2/3ds of the way up. Guess who was able to re-start and make it to the top?

(Hint: It wasn't the KLR250.)
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #237
work750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Eek KLX250 - 1100Km in a day

Hi all,

In a moment of madness (repeated far too often I'm afraid). Adelaide (australia ) to Philip Island for Moto GP( 2200 KM round trip). KLX250 with the 300cc big bore kit. Return trip done in one, ass numbing go. Perfect bike for touring. Cheap to run, 23Km per litre, with a whopping 30ish rear wheel Hp , it's never going to wear a tyre out. Only probs were synthetic oil was worn out after only 1800Km. On the return trip it started to burn some oil. However when I got home and changed the oil. It didn't use any again till about the 1800Km mark again. Could it be something to do with the 9000RPM cruze revs? Naaaaaaaaa
Attached Images

work750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #238
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Laugh

DR200 preliminary numbers:

Recieved lots of stuff last week: 39 tooth sprocket, Keintech jets, electronic tach, et al. I took advantage of a short break in the winter wx to get a short ride to test the induction tach against speed in 5th. From what my numbers show it turns 4100 rpm at 40mph (indicated) in 5th. That turns out to be about 1025 rpm/10mph, which checks against the rpm at 35 , 30 and 25 mph. Perhaps this week (if I can get all my 'honey-do's' done) I'll get a gps calibration of the speedo and some real accurate data. The jet installation will be next: the bike shows a good bit of lean surge when you whack the throttle open after it warms up. Thereafter I'll install the 39 tooth and see how it goes. I'm hoping the increased torque resulting from the jet/airbox change will partially compensate for the loss of performance due to the smaller sprocket. This is coming together !
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #239
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
will the 16t front help much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
So far, here's what I have discovered on the spread of transmissions gears on the bikes that might be considered for minimalist touring. This is an important issue to me, because it's hard to enjoy an adventure if the engine is screaming on the highway in top gear or won't navigate a trail without brutalizing the clutch.

Don't assume that a 6-speed is automatically better than a 5-speed. It will make it easier to keep the engine spinning, but a lot of 6-speeds are not particularly wide ratio. The widest spread of transmission gears I've ever used was the 5-speed in my Honda TL250 Trials bike, which I geared so high that it would barely pull top gear on the highway and would still climb a tree in first.

Of the street-legal bikes currently available, the Yamaha XT225 is the champ, as mentioned in a different post, above. Next comes the Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250, sold from 2000 to 2003 in the U.S., but apparently still selling in Canada. After that comes the surprising Yamaha TW200 with its ultra wide ratio 5-speed, followed by the 6-speed Kawasaki KLX250S. By the way, the ratios of the KLX250S are almost identical to those of the long lived KLR250 that preceeded it.

If all these motorcycles were geared exactly alike to a deliver a Gold Wing-style overdrive top gear, here are resulting first gear ratios:
1975 Honda TL250 20.15
Yamaha XT225 19.74
Kawasaki Sherpa 18.30
Yamaha TW200 17.44
Kawasaki KLR/KLX250 16.72

I'll try to dig up some current Honda and Suzuki numbers.
I got a 16t from Yamaha but have not put it on yet. I went into the Rocky Mountains yesterday and needed the freeway ride, but hate giving up the stump crawling first gear on my XT
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #240
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
There's minimalist and then there is COMFORT

http://www.alaskaleather.com/testimonials.html

I just put the large, black Alaska leather seat pad on my Xt225. I rode 120 miles round trip to Rocky MT National Park yesterday: no monkey butt! I am going to order another one for the y400T today!
Love it. Looks good too.
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote