Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #241
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by work750
Hi all,

In a moment of madness (repeated far too often I'm afraid). Adelaide (australia ) to Philip Island for Moto GP( 2200 KM round trip). KLX250 with the 300cc big bore kit. Return trip done in one, ass numbing go. Perfect bike for touring. Cheap to run, 23Km per litre, with a whopping 30ish rear wheel Hp , it's never going to wear a tyre out. Only probs were synthetic oil was worn out after only 1800Km. On the return trip it started to burn some oil. However when I got home and changed the oil. It didn't use any again till about the 1800Km mark again. Could it be something to do with the 9000RPM cruze revs? Naaaaaaaaa
Awesome ride!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #242
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
DR 200SE Tests, Parts, and GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound
DR200 preliminary numbers:

Received lots of stuff last week: 39 tooth sprocket, Keintech jets, electronic tach, et al. The jet installation will be next: the bike shows a good bit of lean surge when you whack the throttle open after it warms up. Thereafter I'll install the 39 tooth and see how it goes. I'm hoping the increased torque resulting from the jet/airbox change will partially compensate for the loss of performance due to the smaller sprocket. This is coming together !
My '97 has never given me any problems with throttle response but by adding the extended pilot screw the idle stability has ceased to be a problem by having adjustability. I also received the slightly larger main(127.5 vs 125 OEM) and pilot from Jesse as of late, yet to install. Look forward to your performance test with the 39 wheel sprocket.

Also for you riders out there interested in an online microfiche (main Japanese lines)check out Ron Ayers Motorsports(www.ronayers.com/index.cfm). I'm sure there are others out there but I am very happy with the service I've received so far.

I also recently posted in the tracks forum regarding the power requirements of the Garmin 478 GPS.

I'll repeat here;

unit on and charging battery pack, .650 A;

unit off and battery pack charging, .560A;

unit on but battery pack fully charged, .120A.

This all started with someone posting about their battery going down with the gps connected. Since the DR200SE, DR350SE, and I'm sure others use the Yuasa YTX7L-BS we don't have much to spare and missing this issue could leave us in trouble with only an E-start. Also, there have been many complaints about the Garmin power connector breaking as the unit is put on and taken off the mount. I have a fix for this problem and will post this in the near future.

I work with GPS almost daily at work (marine) but have skipped it for my personal life because I had always been a map and compass guy, until now. Though maps (DeLorme) are of vital importance electronic mapping is a great tool in route planning and execution. Plan out your route on your computer with your electronic map and Delorme, download to your gps/map unit, make a paper backup, and you have a minimum package for MT'ing.

Will post pics of GPS install once I pull my 200 from hibernation. I think we have old man winter on the run.

steve gs screwed with this post 03-12-2007 at 04:49 PM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #243
DreadPirateKermit
Ribit.

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminded
250 ninja. run about 100 mph 3200 u.s. out the door and I believe 1 placed 12th in the ironbutt rally last year. Oh did I mention it gets around 70mpg.
Actually, Leon Begemen rode his Ninja 250 in the Iron Butt in 2003. He was one of 5 "Hopeless Class" starters; only two finished. Leon finished 12th on his little EX250, and I finished 30-something on my GL500.

Leon had a pretting interesting luggage solution. He had a 30 or so gallon Rubbermaid storage container mouted to the rear seat / rack and just threw everything in it.

Ken

'04 Suzuki DL1000 Blue
IBA #257 IBR '03, '07 Ten 'n Ten, '10
"Excluding diamonds and Vicodin, there’s nothing more precious than children." Ella Morton, The Elegant Guide to Children
DreadPirateKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #244
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby wing
Actually, Leon Begemen rode his Ninja 250 in the Iron Butt in 2003. He was one of 5 "Hopeless Class" starters; only two finished. Leon finished 12th on his little EX250, and I finished 30-something on my GL500.

Leon had a pretting interesting luggage solution. He had a 30 or so gallon Rubbermaid storage container mouted to the rear seat / rack and just threw everything in it.

Ken
Ken;

Though many are critical of the Ninja 250 it is a terrific MT street platform. Once the ergo's (seat and bars) are sorted out and the final is changed (15:41) it can do almost anything. Can run all day at 70mph or if you want economy keep the rpm below 6000 with a 15:41 final and get nearly 90mpg. Straightforward and easy to work on, lightweight (300lbs), clearly the class of the 250 street bikes offered here in the USA. A favorite here at the ranch.

Work750..... A 9000 rpm cruise ... that's up there.

steve gs screwed with this post 03-13-2007 at 06:23 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #245
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Ken;

Though many are critical of the Ninja 250 it is the a terrific MT street platform. Once the ergo's (seat and bars) are sorted out and the final is changed (15:41) it can do almost anything. Can run all day at 70mph or if you want economy keep the rpm below 6000 with a 15:41 final and get nearly 90mpg. Straightforward and easy to work on, lightweight (300lbs), clearly the class of the 250 street bikes offered here in the USA. A favorite here at the ranch.

An EX250 would make an excellent long-distance touring bike. The ergos are fine for me without any modifications...I'm 5' 10" and 200 lbs.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #246
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
An EX250 would make an excellent long-distance touring bike. The ergos are fine for me without any modifications...I'm 5' 10" and 200 lbs.
I forgot all about the baby Ninja. Here's one I saw at the end of the 2005 Iron Butt Rally.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #247
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,600
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
I forgot all about the baby Ninja. Here's one I saw at the end of the 2005 Iron Butt Rally.
This is a perfectly AWFUL thread.... you guys are killin' me.

fascinating little platform all decked-out. now I gotta get one.... "just to see". Would love to have THAT powerplant in an enduro-like frame ....
what does the Ninja weigh?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #248
puddlejumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
This is what the baby ninja powerplant in an Enduro frame would look like...

It's a KLE 250. But it's not available in the US.
2004 Suzuki GS500F (now)
???? ?? Thumper (soon)
puddlejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #249
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
That is, simply, incredible. Does it have a VIN number stamped into the headstock ? Where CAN you get one ? As a pilot for a major airline, I can get over there for free, buy a used one then throw it in the back of the airplane to get it home. Friend of mine did exactly that with a Duc.

Note: later searched Google and found Japanese websites advertising same for $449,000 Y. I'm in Japan quite frequently; next time I'm there I'll look for a used one.

Outwardbound screwed with this post 03-13-2007 at 07:40 AM
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #250
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Next issue.....

Where can I get a maintenance manual for my DR200. Ron Ayers wants $75 freaking dollars for the thing. Any one know of a source that's more realistic ?
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #251
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Long-time Adv participant, but just discovered this thread. It's excellent.

I suffered a pretty bad concussion playing hockey and have been trying to divest interest in motorcycles, since even a minor get-off would only make things worse. So I sold the Heritage Softail, the GSPD and the R100R. Going to sell the DR650 also. But I've been passionate about bikes since I was about 7 or 8 years old and I hate to, (can't!?), give them up completely. So when I saw a cheap '91 XR250L for sale, the light came on and I grabbed it.

It needed some TLC, so it's given me something to tinker on. It's super simple with screw-type valves, one carb and kickstart, (it's a bitch to start occassionally, but I should be able to get that sorted out). I'm gradually going to change the look to be more of an "Adventure bike". I've taken it for a few very easy, very careful rides and you know what? It satisfies the itch suprisingly nicely. It's comfortable and has more than enough power for putting around. It even sounds pretty nice. And, it doesn't seem to use ANY gas at all!

So right now, I'm big on small bikes.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #252
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound
Next issue.....

Where can I get a maintenance manual for my DR200. Ron Ayers wants $75 freaking dollars for the thing. Any one know of a source that's more realistic ?
The factory service manual is extremely good, and it's 50 or 60 bucks...can't remember. It's well worth the money.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #253
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper

Once again we're denied the coolest stuff...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #254
extra-average
n00b

Oddometer: 1
here goes nothing

Ok then, this is it ... This very thread has pulled me out of the 'lurking' depths and conviced me to take the plunge, becoming an official member and writing my first post!
So what should I expect now? Just the usual side effects (lower productivity at work, becoming more opinionated, learning new vocabulary, etc).
I have actually been intending to take this all-important step in my life for a while, but just couldn't decide where my first post should go.
Ride Reports - I don't actually have a ride yet, so that won't really work.
The Perfect Line - n00b status doesn't really allow me to post any experienced / insightful advice.
Face Plant - Lets hope that I don't need to post there for a while.
Jo Mamma - Not really a place for beginners, I may never come back out.

Well, I had previously been looking at a wee-strom, so Beasts might be a good place. Then I more recently fell pretty hard for the ninja 250. It isn't a single cylinder so it wouldn't fall under thumpers, can a 250 really be considered a Beast, I guess Road Warriors may be the best place.

Then I discovered this thread and all of my problems were solved! What a great topic and this is right up my alley. I am just looking to get into riding, and as a self-proclaimed 'anti-excessive-ist' this thread should fit perfectly.

Now, if anyone is still reading this long rambling post, I do have a legitimate question. Can the ninja 250 adequately handle dirt / gravel roads?
I do mean roads, not trails / paths / passes etc. My daily commute is 70 miles roundtrip, about 7 miles of which would be dirt or gravel roads.
How good are the stock tires / are there any alternatives?
Can the lower fairing be removed for a little additional clearance?
Would anything need done to the suspension?

Any info is appreciated.

And thanks for a great thread (my wife and boss probably don't agree though)!
extra-average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #255
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper

Wow! I may have to get one of those [cough] for ColoWife [/cough]