Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #4276
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,299
Thanks for the note on a trailer to pull a smaller bike behind a big one, I'll be doing some investigation now.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #4277
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Beautiful bike

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #4278
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,212
Well, was there not states out west with no limit?
Something like the fastest safe speed for conditions?
I know some states have a 75 mph limit, so that means 80, which a 250 is going to have problems with.

75 mph with hills, mountains, head winds, rough on a 250...

I was thinking put the bike on the sail boat, sail someplace for free using the wind, ride the bike around, go to the next stop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
I just came back from an Alps tour on a BMW, and that's true. German, Austrian and Italian riders ride FAST and that's no joke. You can pass anywhere you have the balls and the bike to do it. Then the locals will pass you.
State side, 250cc is enough to do the speed limit just about anywhere.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #4279
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l..._United_States

Quote:
I know some states have a 75 mph limit, so that means 80, which a 250 is going to have problems with.
I have no problems hitting 85 to 90 with my WR250X. Sure, not uphill against a headwind. But it easily holds 65 in those conditions. No problem so far.

And - who cares about max speed limit? Germany has no max speed, some stretches of Autobahn have no limit at all. Do all people buy bikes that go at least 200km/h? Nope. Lots of scooters and small bikes around there.

Saying a 250 isn't enough because there is a place in the world where you can't hit the speed limit is kind of weird.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #4280
FalconOne
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Beautiful bike

Thanks!

@Clay - tks for helping me post the pix... I need to learn how to do that! ;p
FalconOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #4281
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791
Wink XTTR225 Chupacabra

Nice thread you guys have going here.

I think the Chupacabra is a good "minimalist" bike.

it will go through and over anything in its current configuration.

i just saw this thread. so, now im subscribed. hit me up with any questions about the bike.

most recent trip with this bike

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730691

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #4282
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,027
Donovan, I have been meaning to ask you about the last trip and the items you carried. I saw you list of stuff, and you hit the necessities for sure. What did you do about clothing though? I assume that you had essentially a set of riding clothes, and a set of lounging clothes? How often did you do laundry? How hard was it to do so with the amount of camping that you did (did you camp much)?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #4283
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,523
I like this picture
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #4284
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791
Thumb good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Donovan, I have been meaning to ask you about the last trip and the items you carried. I saw you list of stuff, and you hit the necessities for sure. What did you do about clothing though? I assume that you had essentially a set of riding clothes, and a set of lounging clothes? How often did you do laundry? How hard was it to do so with the amount of camping that you did (did you camp much)?

Thanks!

hey scout _

i did not have lounge clothing.
i wore my riding clothes the entire time or ... just didnt wear them

One pair of underwear
two pairs of socks
sometimes i didnt wear any socks or underwear.

if you look at my front fender bag in the above photos you will see where i kept my slippers .

I think i stayed in 4 hotels .
the rest of the time i camped.
when i did hit a hotel i washed my socks / underwear in the sink.

every day before the ride and before sleep i applied athletes foot cream as a preventative (ive had it so bad from a long multi-day ride that it went up to the top of my enduro boots, i could barely walk or stand on the pegs, my feet bled when i removed the socks..). so this is important.

packing light is the way to be if you want to be unstoppable.

you will pack to the size of the bag. . so choose a small bag. it will force you to be honest about what you NEED.

its taken me a while but ive got this shit down to a science now.

the only things i took that i didnt need and didnt use was one of those cigarette plug adapters that runs off of the battery.. and an extra green glow-stick

yea.. i smelled like a dirty baboon vagina. did i care ? no.

also, those giant loop bags are not waterproof. i seam sealed them twice before i left.
the zippers leak and when they leak the water pools in the "toe" of the bag... then it mildews very quickly .
what Giant Loop should have done is make a roll down system. like the dry-bags used in kayaking and rafting.
if they make the mojavi system in a roll-down dry bag style it will be the ultimate set up. .. just my 2 cents.

off the grid and deep in the woods

swamp screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 05:05 PM
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #4285
NJ-Brett
Brett

That is really light.
On my long trips I skipped the cooking stuff, took 3 changes of clothes, wore one, had two sets in a bag, tent, sleeping bag, bag o tools.
I stayed in campgrounds, mostly ones like the KOA, showers, pools, laundry, store, went out to eat or ate before stopping.
Sometimes I stayed at free places or was in a state campground after 6 pm and out before 9 so no fee, just a place to put the tent up...
Four weeks, no motels.
Only needed to do laundry every 3 or 4 days.

There is nothing like a dip in the pool after riding all day long!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #4286
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:

75 mph with hills, mountains, head winds, rough on a 250...

I was thinking put the bike on the sail boat, sail someplace for free using the wind, ride the bike around, go to the next stop...
Yes, speeds are higher in the wide open west. More than that, the wind on the open plains sucks the power away. If you're on the Interstate, loaded, and in a head wind... You'll see a lot of Gold Wings and other maxi tourers out there on the Interstate. Don't have to worry about speed in California. It's not allowed, heavily policed.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #4287
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Traveling light is something I've practiced for years while vagabonding on the Gringo Trail around the Third World. But to do it on a bike is more difficult and I commend you for that, big time. I don't like smelling like a funky old baboon vagina so I usually take a little more gear than that.

NJ Brett, I have followed some of your musings on the TU250 thread and aprpeciate your dedication to that machine. I think it would be a fun platform to convert to a dual sport. Have you checked out some of the Japanese Grass Trackers that use that engine??? Love 'em.

Still Riff Raff....

Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #4288
NJ-Brett
Brett

That is actually the gz250 motor, and I think the TU motor would be better for a dual sport with its flatter power curve.
I keep thinking about it, but there are some good points, and bad points:
No aftermarket at all for the TU, no bash plates, no exhaust choices, limited tire widths on the back.
The suspension is under damped, and there seems to be no other rear shocks made for the TU, maybe something else could be made to work but who knows. The forks could be fixed with some preload and thicker oil.

The light weight is a plus, as is the smooth power delivery, ground clearance is ok, but the lack of bash plate will have stones through the cases and a screwed up exhaust.
The air intake is up high and the bike uses a foam filter, all good.
Mirrors, turn signals would be broken in the first fall, along with the brake and shift levers, messed up headlight and dented tank would be next on the list, along with cracked fenders.

I dual sported a 1969 Daytona for 5 years and it held up very well, nothing broke in many falls, but I do not think the TU would hold up like that.

I am very up in the air about what to get as a dual sport, or rather a street legal dirt bike.
I want something I can get parts for, something cheap used, something low and light, something that does well in thick sand and something I like the looks of.
I am done with going fast, (at least I tell myself that) as its getting to the point where I may be lucky to go at all, let alone fast.
I am thinking about the tw200 with a big fat full knobby on the front, but cant find one locally except for a new leftover for $3600.00 which is too much, I do not need a new bike to ride into a swamp.
Thought about a dr200, xt225, but they have narrow front tires, not great in thick sand.
I would love an old xl250 or sl350, but parts are a problem, the bikes are rare, and the tires are narrow.

I rate the bikes in your pictures the same as a Triumph scrambler, just a style, not really intended for any off road work.
The scrambler is WAY too heavy for dirt work, and fragile and expensive to fix when you crash it.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #4289
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,400
Tw200.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #4290
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

"I rate the bikes in your pictures the same as a Triumph scrambler, just a style, not really intended for any off road work.
The scrambler is WAY too heavy for dirt work, and fragile and expensive to fix when you crash it."

Yes, that's why I chose the Tiger XC. It is somewhat heavy but well balanced. I took it on a dual sport ride with guys on KTM 950 Adventures and a V-Strom. I was amazed at it's agility for such a big machine.
The DR200 works well on the trails but I think the TW200 is a much better, all around choice.

Still Riff Raff....