Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #4546
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
I know it has been in the works a long time. It's a Sym and I believe very well built.

http://teamsymba.blogspot.com/2011/0...assic-150.html

http://www.sym.com.tw/eng/showroom/i...d&tid=2&bid=41

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #4547
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Back to the Mattel toy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
That bike looks beautiful and unstoppable. Also unobtainable.
This would be the perfect "runabout" on the back of a van, RV, or even aboard a boat.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #4548
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Heated grips are an absolute "must-have" for me, and I dearly love my heated jacket liner, but I've never really hankered for heated pants. I get along very well with a pair of insulated waterproof/windproof overpants such as the First Gear HT or Tourmaster Caliber. Up top, go ahead and fork over the $$ for a full jacket liner rather than a vest.

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Yes, I need to pick myself up some heated gear. Maybe I'll make it a christmas and birthday gift to myself. My current hour+ commute doesn't work for me when it's below 50. I'm hoping heated gear can change that. The old 20-30 minute commutes were nothing into the high 30s. Would just start getting that really cold feeling upon arrival. Now I end up sitting with it for 1/2 the trip or more. No fun so I don't. It's a shame because there have been so many missed riding days due to my lack of warmth.

Sounds like all I should need to get started is a liner and gloves. I have plenty of "shells" to use though I am a bit concerned about the legs and feet getting cold. Do the top parts really keep the blood warm enough and pumping well that the legs/feet stay good to go?
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #4549
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
[QUOTE][From what I can see, that wolf looks good.
Its got a tach?
Even my powerhouse TU250 does not have a tach!
Know what design its based on?

/QUOTE]

The tach is useful in that while the engine seems to be screaming it's guts out at 60mph you can look down and get a warm fuzzy feeling you are only 8,000 rpm into it's 9,500 rpm redline!

I'm not aware of any pedigree for the design except SYM has been making suchlike bikes for over 50 years. Lots of people have commented it looks like a CB125. it's certainly sized exactly the same with a 48 inch wheelbase.

I wished Suzuki got the TU250 into Cali, it's a cool retro and I probably would have gotten it instead just because of the extra capacity
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #4550
TRRcheck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I want to pick up a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, but I've yet to see much about the bike here.. Anyone have one or ridden one??
TRRcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #4551
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRcheck View Post
I want to pick up a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, but I've yet to see much about the bike here.. Anyone have one or ridden one??
I used to teach motorcycle rider safety. We had a number of Kawasaki, Eliminator 125 bikes in our fleet, so I got to ride them a lot.

I prefer the upright riding position, and the versatility of dual sport motorcycles. However, if you like cruisers, the Kawasaki Eliminator is a nice little bike. The bike performs surprising well for a 125cc motorcycle. However, the Eliminator 125 will still have significantly less power than a bike with a 200cc engine.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #4552
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Yes, I need to pick myself up some heated gear. Maybe I'll make it a christmas and birthday gift to myself. My current hour+ commute doesn't work for me when it's below 50. I'm hoping heated gear can change that. The old 20-30 minute commutes were nothing into the high 30s. Would just start getting that really cold feeling upon arrival. Now I end up sitting with it for 1/2 the trip or more. No fun so I don't. It's a shame because there have been so many missed riding days due to my lack of warmth.

Sounds like all I should need to get started is a liner and gloves. I have plenty of "shells" to use though I am a bit concerned about the legs and feet getting cold. Do the top parts really keep the blood warm enough and pumping well that the legs/feet stay good to go?
I've been using heated grips and vest for a long, long time, and they work well, but more recently I added heated insoles, and that alone made a very big difference.
http://cozywinters.com/shop/wg-hil.html

Everyone is different, but I found no matter how warm my upper body was, my feet would get cold as temps dropped. With the heated insoles, that's not a problem any more. I have mine wired into the same controller that the vest is on, so more heat up top means more heat down low too. You do need a pair of boots that have a bit of room, as the insoles are a little thicker than what typically comes with the boots.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #4553
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thanks for the heated gear advice. I'll take it all into consideration as I try to decide what I'll treat myself with over the holidays. Hopefully it'll be put to use on some adventure riding or at the least some simple trips this coming spring/summer/fall.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #4554
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Basri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basri View Post

Also, please advice me a waterfroof tank bag for such a small metal tank..
Expensive, but the only waterproof tank bag I know of, which doesn't require a seperate rain cover. Don't know if there's a European distributor. Wolfman made one which proved to NOT be waterproof and pulled it from the market, I think.
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/fandango-tank-bag
The bag is small, smaller than it looks in the ad.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me

poppawheelie screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 09:40 AM
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #4555
scootertooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRRcheck View Post
I rode an Eliminator 125 in a MSF rider training course. It was fine to learn on, and ride on flat terrain at low speed. As long as you have NO intention of ever taking it beyond say 50 mph on level roads it would be fine, and probably last a long, long time. But a 125cc scooter being lighter would perform as well or better and provide some additional amenities like storage and possibly a 12V outlet, all at a lower MSRP (which may be why Kawi no longer produces the little Eliminator).
Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #4556
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,608
I rode both the eliminator and the rebel in Msf and granted I was a noob but felt no difference. If I had to choose one it would be the rebel without a doubt
Old 12-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #4557
Krasi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Apparently a mixture of offdays, bad weather and Internet access is not the best one can experience.

Hoovering around the virtual reality, I came across a thread called "Pooratech" ( for the title) in a South-African forum (tell me about it!) - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...&topic=12116.0
I think I got it from this thread, actually.

So, reading there I was inspired to build myself a toolbox for the new toy. I may not be riding, but can do lots of dumb things.

I got myself a PVC pipe from the local hardware store:

2 caps (apparently this is how they are called) and a drawer lock:

One afternoon of cutting, drilling, swearing, scratching my head, bum, crotch, and voila:

The masterpiece is 450mm long and 125mm in diameter (that's about 18x4.5 inches for our imperial viewers), which turned out quite big:

If it turns out that these sticking bolts get in the way, I'll swap them with rivets.

The "cool" lock:

The official version for the insulation band is that it's there to improve water tightness, but the cruel truth is that I put it to cover the dodgy cut I made:

Well this is for now. I made it that far.

Now I'm contemplating on the next creation - cheap and simple pannier racks... I hope I won't mess up the nice bike until spring time (my wife hopes!).
Krasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #4558
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,994
Nice. With the locking end cap, it's a bit more sophisticated than the PVC tool tubes a lot of KLR and other riders make. If you could find a way to mount it to the bike with hose clamps, you might avoid the screws altogether.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #4559
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
Nice. With the locking end cap, it's a bit more sophisticated than the PVC tool tubes a lot of KLR and other riders make. If you could find a way to mount it to the bike with hose clamps, you might avoid the screws altogether.
trying putting the bolts in from the inside with dome nuts on the outside..
will clean up the inside & look good on the out side..

But all in all its a kool idea...
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #4560
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 938
Krasi, nice write up and idea for a tool/storage tube! Thanks for the idea.

I'll interested in seeing the next project with the pannier racks. I need to build a set to mount up some cheap cases I bought months ago.