Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #5101
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaZit View Post
Are any of you folks riding smaller bikes, er, um, larger fellas? If so, how have your mounts handled that? I'm talkin' like 290 pounds.
Depending on what you expect out of it, you are probably a little too heavy for the CBR250R to pull you around well although some couples ride them around two up with that much weight. The front will feel soft and you would have to run drop down a couple gears to pass up the hills but it could work as a steady commuter if you are willing to work with the bike. A 650 would be a safer bet.

sendler screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 05:46 AM
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #5102
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Are any of you folks riding smaller bikes, er, um, larger fellas? If so, how have your mounts handled that? I'm talkin' like 290 pounds.

Thanks,
Alan
Finger Lakes area of NY
I'm 225-230lbs. The current KLX250S/SF does fine, WR250R does even finer. Lot's of folks carry passengers on 250s (or whole families + livestock in other places). Depends on your expectations.

Most of the 250cc class bikes can do it. Suspension OTOH, not so much without work.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #5103
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:

Thanks,
Alan
Finger Lakes area of NY

My TTR-250 got me along just fine when I was 290. Did better at 210 though, but the difference wasn't staggering by any means.

Suspension will be a limiting factor. Most bikes- especially the small ones just aren't setup for that weight. Still works, just not "ideal".
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #5104
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,634
My TU250 does fine with weight.
I am 200 pounds, the wife is about 170, that is 370 pounds on a 320 pound bike and the suspension handles it fine (better then a lot of bigger bikes I have had) and we do not slow the bike down much.
There are no real hills around here, and the bike does great.
No problem keeping up with traffic up to about 70 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I'm 225-230lbs. The current KLX250S/SF does fine, WR250R does even finer. Lot's of folks carry passengers on 250s (or whole families + livestock in other places). Depends on your expectations.

Most of the 250cc class bikes can do it. Suspension OTOH, not so much without work.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #5105
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:

Thanks,
Alan
Finger Lakes area of NY
I'm certainly considered "larger size" and my TW200 hauls my fat ass around just fine.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #5106
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
The TW200 is geared quite well for such things....again, as mentioned above,it will depend on what you EXPECT the machine to "really" do...so you won't be bummed.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #5107
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
solar charger for bike battery

So,in order to save some $$$$(I think?) I've been wanting to use some additional lights on my TW. My plan was to get a Shorai battery ( Lithium ) and power two low amp auxiliary lights,but use a solar battery charger for the Shorai.This way,I could switch this battery and light unit from bike to bike.....one set up for multiple bikes.So,can anyone advise on info for this.....a solar charger that is?. Thanks.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #5108
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Howdy folks I just got myself a dr250
Very excited - I've been thinking about how I might add some cheap bags to the bike without racks

Can anyone help me with some pics of how I might attach bags/backpacks whatever over the back of the seat in a way that won't melt the sidecover or end up in the wheel?

Can you make a stand off for the side cover on the muffler side to give it some airspace? Would that work?
Many thanks for the large repository of info here! Inspiring!
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #5109
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,466
I smashed a 25 oz. beer can flat and wired it between the sidecover and the muffler. It works perfectly. I use Ortlieb bags and throw them over the seat far enough forward not to touch the muffler behind the sidecover.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #5110
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,466
(the melting happened before I had a beer can in there)

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #5111
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,607
I used a piece of aluminum door track (or maybe it was a window frame?) added to my Dirt-Bagz racks to make a stand off for my Ortliebs.

I've read good things about this one from Giant Loop:

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...gs-heat-shield

Sarah
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #5112
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
I used a piece of aluminum door track (or maybe it was a window frame?) added to my Dirt-Bagz racks to make a stand off for my Ortliebs.

I've read good things about this one from Giant Loop:

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...gs-heat-shield

Sarah
Thanks for the link Sarah! I just purchased one. This should help to avoid future melting issues with my Ortlieb saddlebags (that I experienced on my recent trip).

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #5113
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Nice I've been looking at those- giant loop things
So really all you need is some sort of standoff and all will be well -?

How about on the other side to keep things out of the wheel? It's all probably easier than I'm making it out to be.

I'm going to go to the surplus store this weekend and see what I can concoct -.i also have some ortlieb bicycle panniers that might some how be adapted though their mounts are all assuming a rack to hang off.

Thanks for your help
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #5114
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashopolis View Post
Nice I've been looking at those- giant loop things
So really all you need is some sort of standoff and all will be well -?

How about on the other side to keep things out of the wheel? It's all probably easier than I'm making it out to be.

I'm going to go to the surplus store this weekend and see what I can concoct -.i also have some ortlieb bicycle panniers that might some how be adapted though their mounts are all assuming a rack to hang off.

Thanks for your help
On my last trip there was a bit of melting (minor) of the protective surface on my Ortlieb bag near where the exhaust tip is exposed beyond the heat shield. The Giant Loop shield should give the bag a bit more room away from the exhaust heat shield and allow air (wind) to pass between the two.

I've never had a problem with my saddlebags angling down toward the wheel. Then again - I usually have a tailbag that attaches to both saddles that helps to hold them up.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #5115
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 25,918
Quote:

Thanks,
Alan
Finger Lakes area of NY
I'm a porker (5'8" & 250 lbs) and my woods bike is a Super Sherpa. Takes me anywhere. Here I'm at 12,192' elevation. No problem hauling me around. But I can see where a full size frame and somehwhat more modern suspension (think WR250r or KLX250) would be better. Better but not necessary. This one is paid for and takes me everywhere I have the (limited ) skills to ride.

Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote