Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #5296
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
I am 6'1", 230 lbs on a 230L! On gnarly singletrack mountain trails I can pick my bike up and spin it around! Pulls my big carcass very well < 45 MPH, climbs steep stuff to limit of traction. The tractive power band does not tend to spin the rear wheel- it just sticks and climbs! When loaded, the light bike is still light compared to others, and still easy to handle. Seat Concepts, 1 7//8 " handlebar risers. Stiffest shock setting, 15w in the forks, emissions can off and rejetted, XRs Only footpegs, MSR folding alu shifter, Flatland skid plate, TCI windscreen, rack, Kolpin 1.5 gal. Stock tank is 2.3 gal; 63 to 70 MPG loaded, 63 on hwy wide open up mountain pass, 70+ mpg on dirt. Honda handguards, Cannondale 30 oz bottle & holder attached by Topeak handlebar mount. Crossbar map holder. I have a 12 t front sprocket that I like for dirt riding but will probably use the stock 13 t traveling; neither allows uphill on a mtn pass > 50ish MPH loaded or unloaded- not enough HP. Giant Loop Great Basin 50L with a 20L dry bag in photo (I now have a 30L dry bag). Camp: The same light stuff I pull in the BOB trailer behind my Cannondale bicycle on family trips. Sub 4-lb tent, 2 lb sleeping bag, 1 lb REI inflatable insulated mattress, ultralight puffy coat with hood, 2 oz cookstove/ isobutane, titanium pot 1L, titanium skillet, freeze dried food and some ready to eat eg Dona Maria chicken en mole, Starbucks French Roast coffee tubes, light MSR water filter, 2- 1.5 L nalgene water bottles plus the 30 oz handlebar bottle, Petzl headlamp, Asolo walking shoes and nylon trousers and travel shirt when out of riding atttire. Small 2 oz AM/FM radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh.

Thanks Wenatchee Honda guys for advice, service, seat installation, and emissions removal/ jetting.

Great trail bike, 83 MPG easy trail and dirt road riding! 63 MPG with camp load trying to go highway speed in the mountains. 70 MPG on tight technical trail riding. With the low-end power I think I am riding faster at lower RPM = > MPG, as I learn this bike.

Thanks sendler
Neat 230L! I think people will appreciate their lightness and simplicity more after they've wrestled the new 250 beast around some. I used to ride a TW200 and I know exactly what you mean about having JUST enough power to get up the hill - but not enough to spin the rear wheel! Crazy the mountains little bikes can climb, wound out in first gear.
TexaNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #5297
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPainter View Post
Excellent write up!

Other than some JB Weld in ones tool kit, do you have any suggestions on what to carry? It seems like anything that could have happened did, I never get tired of hearing creative stuff people pack on their excursions.
Gorilla Tape or just ride with Garth, he carries it! When we changed tires before the ride we used only the tools on the bikes. That showed us what we were lacking. I went through my bike touching every nut, bolt and screw to make sure the tools were on board. The allen wrench for the bash plate was missed. Three tire irons work way better than two. A valve stem removal tool helps. A piece of rope capable of towing (i consider that hazardous duty). Bug spray or wipes in case your'e in a swamp when the bike breaks. A flashlight. Waterproof matches. A shop towel. A self adhering velcro strap. Flexible gear grips (think Gumby's legs).

I am by no means an expert on what to bring. So far the only situation that required field repair found me short a tool and borrowing Garth's tape.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #5298
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPainter View Post
Excellent write up!

Other than some JB Weld in ones tool kit, do you have any suggestions on what to carry? It seems like anything that could have happened did, I never get tired of hearing creative stuff people pack on their excursions.
Gorilla tape, zip ties, including 3 or 4 of the real big ones, stainless safety wire (and a Clamp-Tite), a small bottle of denatured alcohol (for degreasing those JB Weld and JB Kwik repairs), hose clamps (great for frame, exhaust and rack repairs), a spare oil drain plug, oil filler cap, and carb drain screw, a good sharp knife (not the one on your Leatherman). Talc for your shorts and your tire beads. Cigars. Whisky.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #5299
JohnPainter
XRing

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
a small bottle of denatured alcohol (for degreasing those JB Weld and JB Kwik repairs), Whisky.
I tend to carry a small flask of Cold River Vodka, it kills those two birds with one stone.
JohnPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #5300
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 852
Bought this nearly cherry xr250r trying to post right

I'm a big time xr fan. (Have a xr400 and xr600) Bought this for my teenage daughter. She no likey- no electric start. What's a dad to do? Yep! Keep it n ride it! The bike had probably less than 300 miles on it, street legal 2002. Came out of a time warp 2002. I put a aftermarket seat, mt43 on it (back tire original and starting to crack) and proceeded to put over 1000 miles on it primarily off road. It's done the nastiest single track, rock scrambles and even some tough hill climbs I was surprised I could pull! I did need to watch my line better because i didn't have power to solve problems though. Also was really impressed in Mammoth on the trails and fire roads...hung tough with faster bikes! All that and 70+ MPG!! ?! Probably one of the best bikes around below 50 mph.

2012-07-07_15-20-31_5
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #5301
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Not exactly touring, but dual sporting on WR250R and CRF230L. I enjoy the pics on this thread, thought I would share a video. The 230 is pretty much stock other than an airbox mod and Q4 pipe. My WRR has the IMS 3 gal tank, 46T rear sprocket, open airbox, Q4 pipe, and I highly recommend the T63 rear tire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98seutPNKD0&feature=plcp
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #5302
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
doesn't all that gas weight on the front end make the bike steer slow?
that is an odd place for extra fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
I am 6'1", 230 lbs on a 230L! On gnarly singletrack mountain trails I can pick my bike up and spin it around! Pulls my big carcass very well < 45 MPH, climbs steep stuff to limit of traction. The tractive power band does not tend to spin the rear wheel- it just sticks and climbs! When loaded, the light bike is still light compared to others, and still easy to handle. Seat Concepts, 1 7//8 " handlebar risers. Stiffest shock setting, 15w in the forks, emissions can off and rejetted, XRs Only footpegs, MSR folding alu shifter, Flatland skid plate, TCI windscreen, rack, Kolpin 1.5 gal. Stock tank is 2.3 gal; 63 to 70 MPG loaded, 63 on hwy wide open up mountain pass, 70+ mpg on dirt. Honda handguards, Cannondale 30 oz bottle & holder attached by Topeak handlebar mount. Crossbar map holder. I have a 12 t front sprocket that I like for dirt riding but will probably use the stock 13 t traveling; neither allows uphill on a mtn pass > 50ish MPH loaded or unloaded- not enough HP. Giant Loop Great Basin 50L with a 20L dry bag in photo (I now have a 30L dry bag). Camp: The same light stuff I pull in the BOB trailer behind my Cannondale bicycle on family trips. Sub 4-lb tent, 2 lb sleeping bag, 1 lb REI inflatable insulated mattress, ultralight puffy coat with hood, 2 oz cookstove/ isobutane, titanium pot 1L, titanium skillet, freeze dried food and some ready to eat eg Dona Maria chicken en mole, Starbucks French Roast coffee tubes, light MSR water filter, 2- 1.5 L nalgene water bottles plus the 30 oz handlebar bottle, Petzl headlamp, Asolo walking shoes and nylon trousers and travel shirt when out of riding atttire. Small 2 oz AM/FM radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh.

Thanks Wenatchee Honda guys for advice, service, seat installation, and emissions removal/ jetting.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=6cf5f60778

Great trail bike, 83 MPG easy trail and dirt road riding! 63 MPG with camp load trying to go highway speed in the mountains. 70 MPG on tight technical trail riding. With the low-end power I think I am riding faster at lower RPM = > MPG, as I learn this bike.

Thanks sendler
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #5303
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
doesn't all that gas weight on the front end make the bike steer slow?
that is an odd place for extra fuel.
Seems ok so far. I rode FS mountain singletrack with that load and gas tank, and a lot of rough FS/ DNR mountain road.

That is a small motorcycle. I am 6'1". Just enough room on the short moto to put my Giant Loop Great Basin behind. The gas on front is better balanced I think. Did not work my arms.

I was happy to discover that when you start with a small, easy to ride moto, and hang on 60 lbs total gear, it is still relatively light and easy to handle. 32 inch seat height. Low gearing. Short wheelbase. I can pick it up, spin it around on the rear tire unloaded, and still easy to handle loaded as shown.

If the gas up front becomes a problem, I could mount it on the back. But I have avoided adding a back rack- weight, complexity.

Acerbis sells a front gas tank for dirt bikes. And the couple around the world on Symbas strapped their tanks to the front.

So far, so good.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #5304
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 209
chain cleaning?

What do you guys use to clean your chain?
( Commercial product, dealer product, or whatever? )
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #5305
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
Pour a cupful of kerosene and use a toothbrush. I usually have some newspaper under the length of the chain to not make a mess of my driveway.

"we as riders stick together as no matter what ur race maybe!!!!"
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #5306
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
No chain cleaning/lube regimen has been shown to give longer chain life on a dual sport bike than regular hosing down with WD40. Use a grunge brush or similar to deal with encrustations.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #5307
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
No chain cleaning/lube regimen has been shown to give longer chain life on a dual sport bike than regular hosing down with WD40. Use a grunge brush or similar to deal with encrustations.
That is quite a statement! Perhaps you can support it?

WD-40 is controversial, and many argue is will ruin your chain. Here is a Webbikeworld article in which a former WD-40 chain cleaner renounced it after being presented with evidence from an engineer that it is harmful.

I certainly don't know scientifically whether WD-40 is good or bad, but if it is controversial, I'd prefer not to use it.

I use Varsol (or paint thinner or kerosene) and a small bristle brush, then spray-on DuPont Multi (now reformulated and reportedly not very good, so not what I'll be using once my supply is gone).
Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #5308
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't touch my chain. My the O-ring chain is internally lubed and I wish not to alter that. I just ride. The surfaces that do not flex or touch other surfaces are caked with crap. The surfaces that make contact, shine.

So far my sprockets and chain are looking great after 6700 miles. If I get another 5000 more out of them I'll be happy.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #5309
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I don't touch my chain. My the O-ring chain is internally lubed and I wish not to alter that. I just ride. The surfaces that do not flex or touch other surfaces are caked with crap. The surfaces that make contact, shine.

So far my sprockets and chain are looking great after 6700 miles. If I get another 5000 more out of them I'll be happy.

What kind of climate are you in? My chain would rust to pieces if I did that. I haven't found any good solution for chain maintenance. I've fallen back on chain wax as the best compromise...not penetrating, not too sticky, yet still affording some rust protection.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #5310
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
What kind of climate are you in? My chain would rust to pieces if I did that. I haven't found any good solution for chain maintenance. I've fallen back on chain wax as the best compromise...not penetrating, not too sticky, yet still affording some rust protection.
I'm in New England. I think the coating of crap prevents, or at least, hides the rust.