Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #5416
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,873
Thumb

150ron,

Totally agree with everything you said. My Xt225 has proven itself to be able to "hang" anywhere I want to go. I have to admit that it's a bit "too much" for me to ride WOT on the freeways & interstates for more than 20-30 miles. I don't like riding slower than traffic, and going much over 70 on the Xt225 is tiring after a while. After a 40 mile ride on the Charlotte beltway my fingers were "tingly" for about 30 minutes afterward.

I can ride those same 70+ speeds on the curvy mountain 2 lane highways much more comfortably. Less wind and more hills, curves, and gear & throttle work. I think it's easier on the bike and my body to change positions & rpms often, rather than just than the constants of riding the slab.

Offroad the little Xt225 can go almost anywhere, and I'm saying "almost" mainly becase I'm running 50/50 tires. I'd love to try a full knobby sometime, but can't make myself waste the time & money to mount one, considering I can handle 98% of the trails fine now. I just love the super low first gear and the low seat height "when the going get tough". The Xt plods right along, through stuff that make the bigger bikes a real "handfull" to handle.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #5417
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Yet another punk blowhard who talks KTM here, eh? Were you trying to insult someone there girly man?
Your group dynamics, I-Ching, numerology and astral self parenting are not favorable. Relax, have a beer, get laid.

By the by, I ride a TW.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #5418
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
Your group dynamics, I-Ching, numerology and astral self parenting are not favorable. Relax, have a beer, get laid.

By the by, I ride a TW.
But you post about your KTM 640? And no worries, completely up to date on those activities which you seem to talk about on your profile...dreaming? BTW, the little phrase with Maine, Spain, Spokane- no rhyme. The proper pronunciation of the last is Spo CAN not Spo CANE...d'oh

ADVNCW screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 07:14 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #5419
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
150ron,

Totally agree with everything you said. My Xt225 has proven itself to be able to "hang" anywhere I want to go. I have to admit that it's a bit "too much" for me to ride WOT on the freeways & interstates for more than 20-30 miles. I don't like riding slower than traffic, and going much over 70 on the Xt225 is tiring after a while. After a 40 mile ride on the Charlotte beltway my fingers were "tingly" for about 30 minutes afterward.

I can ride those same 70+ speeds on the curvy mountain 2 lane highways much more comfortably. Less wind and more hills, curves, and gear & throttle work. I think it's easier on the bike and my body to change positions & rpms often, rather than just than the constants of riding the slab.

Offroad the little Xt225 can go almost anywhere, and I'm saying "almost" mainly becase I'm running 50/50 tires. I'd love to try a full knobby sometime, but can't make myself waste the time & money to mount one, considering I can handle 98% of the trails fine now. I just love the super low first gear and the low seat height "when the going get tough". The Xt plods right along, through stuff that make the bigger bikes a real "handfull" to handle.
Yep, I would say pretty much the same with the CRF230L.

Just got D606s and last evening rode pavement, tight mountain singletrack and forest roads. Great tires. Most impressive was how they stick to asphalt so much better than the Trail Wings. And great in the dirt also..
Old 08-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #5420
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Yep, I would say pretty much the same with the CRF230L.

Just got D606s and last evening rode pavement, tight mountain singletrack and forest roads. Great tires. Most impressive was how they stick to asphalt so much better than the Trail Wings. And great in the dirt also..

But man, those 606's are some major Pinky Pinchers! Especially the front one got me "stressed". Those stiff sidewalls are so much harder to pry on than the dual sport tires. A 1 beer job turned into a 6-pack job, and a lot of apologies to God afterwards!!

Do you feel like the 606's are heavy & slow the bike down a bit? I was wondering about looking for a lighter knobby, but don't know which ones are lighter.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #5421
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Many people think a small displacement bike cannot be ridden on the freeway, claiming it would be near suicide to even try. I have ridden my Vino 125 scooter on I-8 from Phoenix to San Diego and back twice. It's not technically legal, because riding on the freeway legally requires at least 150cc, far less than 200, 225, 230, or 250cc. Now I am talking about interstate highways, not urban freeways, where it is dangerous to be even in a car. But I have ridden my 225 over 1000 miles at the time on I-40, getting off only for food and gas, at about 60 mph in the right lane. I don't see anything dangerous about it. Before the XT, I had a Honda Rebel, but just wasn't able to fit on it. I still put 18,000 miles on it. And I know one guy who is 6'6"270 who has worn out 2 Rebels, riding them wide open on the freeway, also loaded with stuff. They both lasted about 80,000 miles before the valves ate themselves. People have crossed the country on 50cc scooters, mopeds, and bicycles. I found the hard part of doing that is crossing from state to state. Sometimes you almost have to get on a freeway to get across a state line..
I commute and tour on my Rebel, it goes everywhere. Awesome, big hearted, little bike!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #5422
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
But man, those 606's are some major Pinky Pinchers! Especially the front one got me "stressed". Those stiff sidewalls are so much harder to pry on than the dual sport tires. A 1 beer job turned into a 6-pack job, and a lot of apologies to God afterwards!!

Do you feel like the 606's are heavy & slow the bike down a bit? I was wondering about looking for a lighter knobby, but don't know which ones are lighter.
No, they look beefy and bad but do not at all feel 'heavy'. I found myself going faster, immediately, on asphalt and on dirt. On my local singletrack I overshot a turn, which I seem to do whenever I make an improvement to my moto On the way home I hit the 50MPH section of Hwy 2 to feel the new tires, felt smooth- I think smoother than the Trailwings that I took off (my town has 50MPH road in and out, one hour from a freeway).

I am heading out today to do the WABDR. Pondering what mix of dirt road to pavement I will choose to get to the start on the OR border...I live exactly in the middle, so my second stop on the WABDR will be my home. But anyway, my ride last evening gives me pavement confidence as well as dirt confidence on the D606s.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #5423
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Man! I've been changing lightbulbs the hard way.

Hey, wait a minute. How do they get them to "unscrew"....maybe that's for the Harleys. They just rev their un-mufflered V twins and the noise vibrates the bulbs out'a the sockets.

Maybe a KTM guy and a Harley guy should go into a lightbulb changing partnership, and they wouldn't even have to argue about the color of the uniforms!!! Orange makes both of em' happy!!
Funny!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #5424
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I commute and tour on my Rebel, it goes everywhere. Awesome, big hearted, little bike!
Cool. In the '70s I had a Suzuki GT250 that I toured a few states with. Fast little two smoker!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #5425
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Ive been riding the shit out of my ''LITTLE'' XT250, 280 pounds, 16 HP, does freeway speeds of 75+mph, and hits the hardest black diamond trails around me in the same day, just the other day i did 50+ miles of freeway at near wot for the whole time

Who says you cant take these bikes on the freeway

i really laugh everytime i read something like

'' if you are going to be doing any kind of freeway riding, you need at least a 650'' hahahahah, right...

man, a 250 is great, and it will keep you out of trouble, not to mention you can man handle these bikes, i only weigh 145 and can pick it up, do a 360 turn in place with it, easy to ride.

Every time i ride with my buddy who rides a DRZ400S, either on the road or in the trails, hes always saying hes chasing me, trying to catch up.

id really like to make a top speed video for my bike, but i do not have one of those go pro cameras, wish i did.
Agree except my CRF230L would not be comfy on freeway- but I never took it there. No freeways close to my home.

Really I ride for enjoyment- not ego/ competition but like you I find that on the true tight and gnarly really nice bigger motos are left behind...while I just cruise along like normal, quick and efficient, no big roosting, no spinning around switchbacks, just ride the small bike smoothly.

Off now for the big test touring the WABDR on the 1/4 liter moto. I will see if I am again drawn back to something larger. In my youth (70s) I spent two summers touring on a 750 and including riding gravel on street tires on the Alaska Hwy- ADV touring before the fad was formalized.

Even if I were to want a bigger moto for distance, the little moto is unbeatable for trail riding for my purposes!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #5426
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:

I've run through two fronts and 4 rears on the Kenda Trakmaster II's. The front seemed quite a bit lighter than a similar sized D606. It is still DOT approved but it looks more like a true dirtbike tire, it's fine on the road and even not too bad on the interstate but the D606 is definitely stickier on the pavement. Even with my little 250 I can get the Kenda to step out in the rear when I roll on the throttle exiting a turn, the D606's just grip. Once they get down below about 40% tread they do howl, but so do the D606's. I have been getting about 2,000-2,500 miles out of the rears and 5k or so out of the front.

Anyone have recommendations on trials tires? I want something that will stand up to some pavement miles and hopefully be a little smoother ride on the slab than a knobby but still perform well on the trails.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #5427
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

For a trials tire I'm running the Pirelli MT43 on my WR450 right now. I've only been a 100 or so miles on it, but so far it seems good. I did run into one section on a fresh cut trail that I could have used a true new knobby on because it was very loose loamy stuff. But new trails are "rare" and won't stay new very long.

It only comes in one size, but I think it'll fit the Xt225. I think the rear is a 4.00 x 18, and I didn't get the front yet.

If you do a search you will see a lot of guys have switched from knobbies to the MT43 and say that they'll never run a knobby again. Supposed to last like a 50/50 tire and really grippy on rocks & roots.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #5428
RyanR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
For a trials tire I'm running the Pirelli MT43 on my WR450 right now. I've only been a 100 or so miles on it, but so far it seems good. I did run into one section on a fresh cut trail that I could have used a true new knobby on because it was very loose loamy stuff. But new trails are "rare" and won't stay new very long.

It only comes in one size, but I think it'll fit the Xt225. I think the rear is a 4.00 x 18, and I didn't get the front yet.

If you do a search you will see a lot of guys have switched from knobbies to the MT43 and say that they'll never run a knobby again. Supposed to last like a 50/50 tire and really grippy on rocks & roots.
Cool that's the tire I was thinking of going with. Do you run the MT43 front as well or are you running a knobbie up front?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #5429
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Cool that's the tire I was thinking of going with. Do you run the MT43 front as well or are you running a knobbie up front?

My front tire wasn't gone yet, so it's still a knobby. I don't know what I'll replace it with yet. Considering over 50% of my riding is pavement I don't think I will replace it with a knobby, but I'll read up and see what other folks are using to decide.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #5430
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
I recently bought an 18" Corona pruning saw to carry on the bike. It has the high tech razor teeth and is rated for cutting up 10" diameter. They also make smaller ones & folding ones which would be simpler to carry, but the ones in stock at Lowes were too small, so I figured I'd try the 18". I think I can get it to fit somewhere on the bike.
I got it to clear trees off of the trails. I wouldn't want to do too many 10" cuts with it, but it would make short work out of a 5 or 6" cut. It would be great around the campsite. I think it was about $22.
I have had one of those in my car-camping kit for many years, and have cut larger than 10" lags with it!!! I carry a mini (sliding version) made by Fiskars on my bike. It's about an 8" blade, and enough to cut anything I would need while camping off the bike. The blade slides inside the handle which makes for better packing...