Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #5821
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFX View Post
CRF150R big wheel is designed for 12 year old motocross racers, so the wheelbase and overall geometry is cramped for adult riding.

Awesome powerful engine, but it is for racing and does have similar rebuild requirements to the other new-generation 4-strokes like the CRF250 and 450.

FX has similar geometry to CRF230/250, with lower seat, so it is a fully adult-sized trail/dual/adventure bike.
Hey Mike,

That is one super sexy bike. Any idea what the top speed is on that?

If I ever thought you could legally ride them on mtb singletrack, I'd send you a check for full msrp today! As it is, a street legal expedition version might be tempting. Good luck, & ya need to get a demo van of those puppies out here to the US.
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #5822
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I find it funny you posted that in a thread dedicated to minimalist riding.

The thread's title is MInimalist Touring Thread (250cc & under).

I never mentioned shoving a 251cc engine in it.

I was just pointing out that a lot of folks would want a bit more power, and a 2 stroke has a much higher power to weight ratio.

Every single bike specific thread here talks about "squeezing an extra Hp or two" out of whatever bike that group rides. And the same threads all talk about how to shave pounds off of the same bikes...

Btw, the FX site mentions larger engines as options. Right?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #5823
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
The thread's title is MInimalist Touring Thread (250cc & under).

I never mentioned shoving a 251cc engine in it.

I was just pointing out that a lot of folks would want a bit more power, and a 2 stroke has a much higher power to weight ratio.

Every single bike specific thread here talks about "squeezing an extra Hp or two" out of whatever bike that group rides. And the same threads all talk about how to shave pounds off of the same bikes...

Btw, the FX site mentions larger engines as options. Right?
It's just that when I mention to other riders that I have a 250, they usually call it a beginner's bike and tell me I need more horsepower. I thought the same comment from one of us about a smaller bike was ironic, that's all.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #5824
Krasi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Well, maybe not only "boutique" companies are thinking in that direction:

http://www.retrothing.com/2012/02/ya...the-moegi.html
Krasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #5825
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,987
And don't forget the Sachs Madass, a cool minimalist ride that people are actually out riding:

At the bike show last year, there was a touring version with soft luggage.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #5826
richsuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz View Post
And don't forget the Sachs Madass, a cool minimalist ride that people are actually out riding:

At the bike show last year, there was a touring version with soft luggage.
Being a person willing to try anything, jumped at the opportunity to try one of them. 320 kms, asphalt/dirt 90/10. top speed 91 kms/h. very unstable, as there is no tank to grap onto with your legs, if you let go of one hand, you end up kissing the handlebar. I did to indicate riders behind me of an obstacle, touch the front brake for a minute and I was on the bars!

BTW, anyone wonder why they call them MADASS? After 200 kms I knew the answer
richsuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #5827
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Gz250

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBryan View Post
Just a quick introduction here.. I'm 50 yrs old in south central missouri.. Yep Great riding both off the beaten path and great backroads..My main ride is a 2006 suzuki gz250 and I also have a 73 honda SL100.. Love this thread here..I take the gz many places maybe IT and I shouldn't be by most peoples standards.. But you know what they say ALL bikes used to be whatever you needed.. No hill climbing or jumping but If I can make it nice and slow and see something new I'll give it a go... I've had the bike have been down many a rough gravel roads and even forest 2 tracks..When I can figure out how to get some pictures off My phone I'll show how I have My bike fixed up..You have to see it to understand LOL.. Am a firm believer in making do with what I have or can get a hold of cheap..That and My budget kind of demands that...Planning a couple at Least weekend trips this spring.. Anyone enjoy close to the Van Buren area let Me know that'll be one of my trips this sping..I have a buddy with a 03 super sherpa and we'd be happy as hell to meet up with others who enjoy small bikes.. Sorry as I look up I notice this post is kind of rambling and disjointed but that kind of describes Me at times..

OBryan, I too have a GZ [08], of my three bikes I seem to ride it the most. Its my mini tourer, with a Givi 30L on the Suzuki backrest/ rack [cut the backrest off] also has Tourmaster soft saddle bags and if needed a Tourmaster Tank bag. I do enjoy riding with this set up. The trips are more fun with time to see where I been and where I'm going.Glad to see someone else enjoys the merits of this bike. Terry [CMS]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #5828
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 194
Good to see people enjoying the "lowly" GZ250, which gets a bad rep as only a beginner's bike (it's mostly what is used for MSF classes around here)...

I would love to pick one up for cheap, put on saddlebags and a backrest- then hook up a sidecar and take the whole family out for rides!
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #5829
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
Good to see people enjoying the "lowly" GZ250, which gets a bad rep as only a beginner's bike (it's mostly what is used for MSF classes around here)...

I would love to pick one up for cheap, put on saddlebags and a backrest- then hook up a sidecar and take the whole family out for rides!
We had a FSSNOC Thumper Cafe in Gillead Nebraska in 2011. A little guy (I think he was about 6'2") rode his GZ250 up from, I think, Houston, TX. Took the Thumpette (250cc and under) long distance trophy. Seemed to be quite happy with the ride!

If he's on ADvrider hope he chimes in.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #5830
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
We had a FSSNOC Thumper Cafe in Gillead Nebraska in 2011. A little guy (I think he was about 6'2") rode his GZ250 up from, I think, Houston, TX. Took the Thumpette (250cc and under) long distance trophy. Seemed to be quite happy with the ride!

Cool! Houston to Nebraska is a hardcore ride... I hope to have the time to be able to tour like that someday.
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #5831
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
It's just that when I mention to other riders that I have a 250, they usually call it a beginner's bike and tell me I need more horsepower. I thought the same comment from one of us about a smaller bike was ironic, that's all.

It is ironic.....folks just can't be happy with what they have....always have to 'improve" it.....hmmm,as if the 6---7 figure engineer(s) know anything.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #5832
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
125 honda

posted to another thread, but thought this group would like to see...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #5833
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post

I'am not the Texas rider, but I 'am a member of the FSSNOC Club . I read the artilce in our publication and he indeed did ride from and back to Texas. Great story. I've modded my seat on my GZ, I wonder if he did also. The seat is a weak point IMHO on the GZ . Made a big difference for me in comfort and longer trips after the mod. CMS [Terry]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #5834
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
So could the fx bikes be the ultimate minimallist touring bike? 125lb 125cc 125mpg
I just added my name to the reservation list (planning on waiting for the DS version). I'm very excited to throw a leg over one of these, and hope that I get the chance to do so before 100% committing to buy. I see this as a great little exploration bike/camping companion/wife trainer/pit bike. At 250 pounds, I should look pretty interesting on it.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #5835
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
posted to another thread, but thought this group would like to see...

Cool video! Thanks.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote