ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #5941
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,186
The old (2012 and older XT250's) had 16.2 hp.
No one knows if there is any improvement for 2013 with the fuel injection.
The wr250r makes 28 hp, that is 12 more then the xt250.
The crf and klx 250 bikes likely make around 25, and i think all those bikes also have 6 speed transmissions and better suspension for the dirt.

Not that I do not like the XT250, I used to have one.
But these days, not many want a low power air cooled 2 valve 250cc dual sport with 16 hp.

Since I hate water cooled bikes, I would like one if I had to buy a new dual sport and wanted a 250.

The TU has about 19 hp.
My TU seems to be a LOT faster then the xt250 was, at least on the street anyway.
The TU is not very fast in the dirt.

If I wanted an air cooled 250cc dual sport, i think the 4 valve super sherpa would be the top pick.
The old XT225 was much smaller and lighter then the xt250 is, very different bike.
Oddly enough, the xt225 was rated at 20 hp...more then my tu250...

I am not dissing anyone's bike, I was just pointing out there are big active threads about the modern water cooled 250's, not much action in the xt250 thread.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #5942
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 98,309
I didn't realize the TU was 19 hp. I had heard it was down in power a little from the GZ250.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #5943
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,838
Hey Jerry,

We need to compare milk crates somtime.

I got lucky and found a black one to match my black Bryan Swens rack. I wish it was a little bigger, because my chainsaw is a tight fit! I'd like to get something a bit fancier for road trips, but I mostly blaze the backroads & trails close to home. The milk crate is fine for trips to the grocery & hardware stores.


Brett,

You make a lot of good points about the various bikes. I don't really mind water cooled bikes, but that is what makes them heavier, and the FI too. Personally, I'm happy with simple air cooled & carburated engines.

Did they finally put electric starters on the KLR250? That's the same bike are the Super Sherpa, right? I have a buddy that recently bought one, but I haven't had the chance to ride it yet. Extra valves are a good way to gain some Hp. Yamaha even figured out how to shove 5 into a head.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #5944
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR
 
Hawk62cj5's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Va
Oddometer: 574
No not the same ,The Sherpa is more of a weird air cooled cousin of the KLR and KLX doesnt share alot with either .Front Springs will work out of a KLR 250 , I think the engine's bottom end is simular to the klx but I dont think its the same . I like mine though , its happy rolling my fat rear at a 60 mph cruise on the highway and it will do more than I can offroad which isnt saying alot .I dont have any vibration issues with it and its easy to service .

__________________
09 Super Sherpa KL250
62 CJ-5
Trailering a bike is like hiring a prostitute just to jerk off in front of her .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #5945
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The old (2012 and older XT250's) had 16.2 hp.
No one knows if there is any improvement for 2013 with the fuel injection.
The wr250r makes 28 hp, that is 12 more then the xt250.
The crf and klx 250 bikes likely make around 25, and i think all those bikes also have 6 speed transmissions and better suspension for the dirt.

Not that I do not like the XT250, I used to have one.
But these days, not many want a low power air cooled 2 valve 250cc dual sport with 16 hp.

Since I hate water cooled bikes, I would like one if I had to buy a new dual sport and wanted a 250.

The TU has about 19 hp.
My TU seems to be a LOT faster then the xt250 was, at least on the street anyway.
The TU is not very fast in the dirt.

If I wanted an air cooled 250cc dual sport, i think the 4 valve super sherpa would be the top pick.
The old XT225 was much smaller and lighter then the xt250 is, very different bike.
Oddly enough, the xt225 was rated at 20 hp...more then my tu250...

I am not dissing anyone's bike, I was just pointing out there are big active threads about the modern water cooled 250's, not much action in the xt250 thread.
To back up some of the hp claims - here are some links to reviews and rear-wheel dyno figures.

Both the CRF250L and KLX250S produced around 20 hp at the rear wheel on Motorcycle.com's dyno.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-honda-crf250l-vs-2013-kawasaki-klx250s-video-91483.html?page=2

The WR250X (which uses the same engine as the WR250R) produced almost 28 hp on the same dyno.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/quarterliter-supermoto-shootout-87985.html

The Suzuki TU 250X yielded a little over 16 hp from the rear wheel on Cycle World's dyno.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/06/15/riding-impression-2009-suzuki-tu250x/

The XT250 yielded about the same hp as the TU 250X on the same Cycle World dyno.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2008/07/15/frugal-fuelers-yamaha-xt250-first-look/

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #5946
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gryphon12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Carnation, WA USA
Oddometer: 1,227
If you want air cooled, a little more power and more torque, look for a used DR-350SE.
__________________
1990 Honda NT-650 Hawk-GT

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #5947
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,838
Dynobob,

What a great trip to take with your dad. I wish I could that with my dad, but he's a bit beyond his riding days. Thanks for sharing the great pics.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #5948
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer
 
Yokomo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: The Little Apple
Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
If you want air cooled, a little more power and more torque, look for a used DR-350SE.
Don't you dare speak of anything more than 250cc's in here! You'll get kicked out!
If I were to say anything about my 300 or 350 I'd be in big trouble!

__________________
I run Klotz in my weed wacker and chainsaw for the smell
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #5949
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wesdawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Charlotte
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
Or if you want to jump into the 21st century:
WR250R:At the dealer

and prepping for 2 months journey to Alaska & Canada:



Which Led's are you running?
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #5950
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,186
I think there is some variability in the power figures posted.
I know the TU250 gets a LOT better after its broken in at around 3000 miles, and if you dyno a new bike, its going to show a low output.
There is also the power curve, peak power vs broad power output, and the TU is very odd in that it has a lot of power (for a 250) starting at 4000 rpm building slowly to about 7600 rpm where it flattens out to the 8500 red line.
What that means in the real world is good speed on the road wiithout high rpm's.
Its also one engine you can do whatever you want with, without any concern about the engine.
The engine runs smooth and cool, so you can scream the thing across the US and back without worry or discomfort.
And even running at a low (for a 250) 5000 rpm you have no problems doing a real 70+ mph.
Even running at 85 and 7500 rpm is nice and the bike feels like it will do it all day for months.
Unlike some bikes, the TU seems to love heat, the hotter it is out, the better the motor seems to run.

Its NOT a dual sport though, and it sucks in the rough dirt, the forks and 18 inch front wheel do not like rough stuff at all, plus, the way the engine is made to get a lot of mid range power makes it impossible to get much if any more power out of the bike. Airbox and exhaust mods seem to do nothing, but the FI system works very well, not feeling lean even if you do mods.
For any off road use, its very risky, the brake and shifter stick WAY out past the motor, the gas tank is wider and tends to get dents, the headlight would break, levers snap off, etc.
That big headlight is the best I ever had on any bike for night riding though.
That is a shame, as the motor is great in the dirt, nice power curve, and the bike is fairly light.

When I had my xt250, I do not think I could get the bike much over 70 mph under most situations, and it did not like real high rpm's a lot. It did not seem happy at higher speeds, but was one tough bike in the dirt.

The XT250 motor sort of reminded me of the TW 200 motor, as not liking high rpms for long.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
To back up some of the hp claims - here are some links to reviews and rear-wheel dyno figures.

Both the CRF250L and KLX250S produced around 20 hp at the rear wheel on Motorcycle.com's dyno.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-honda-crf250l-vs-2013-kawasaki-klx250s-video-91483.html?page=2

The WR250X (which uses the same engine as the WR250R) produced almost 28 hp on the same dyno.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/quarterliter-supermoto-shootout-87985.html

The Suzuki TU 250X yielded a little over 16 hp from the rear wheel on Cycle World's dyno.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/06/15/riding-impression-2009-suzuki-tu250x/

The XT250 yielded about the same hp as the TU 250X on the same Cycle World dyno.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2008/07/15/frugal-fuelers-yamaha-xt250-first-look/

Mike
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #5951
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,206
My son had a Super Sherpa, and after back to back riding both bikes (XT225), my impression was that the XT was lighter, and had much better brakes. Although the SS had discs front and rear, they just didn't do much. The rear brake actually seemed stronger than the front.
The SS had a nice digital speedo set up though.

Other nice things about the SS were there were no weak rear spoke issues, and no starting issues, both of which the XT has in spades.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #5952
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Other nice things about the SS were there were no weak rear spoke issues, and no starting issues, both of which the XT has in spades.

The XT225's cold starting problems are easily cured by the "3 turns out" of the pilot jet screw that is common knowledge on the XT225 threads. Makes the bike very easy to start cold, and only needs about 15 seconds of choke, instead of the 5 minutes from the factory. It was an emmisions thing...
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #5953
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Hey Jerry,

We need to compare milk crates somtime.

I got lucky and found a black one to match my black Bryan Swens rack. I wish it was a little bigger, because my chainsaw is a tight fit! I'd like to get something a bit fancier for road trips, but I mostly blaze the backroads & trails close to home. The milk crate is fine for trips to the grocery & hardware stores.


Brett,

You make a lot of good points about the various bikes. I don't really mind water cooled bikes, but that is what makes them heavier, and the FI too. Personally, I'm happy with simple air cooled & carburated engines.

Did they finally put electric starters on the KLR250? That's the same bike are the Super Sherpa, right? I have a buddy that recently bought one, but I haven't had the chance to ride it yet. Extra valves are a good way to gain some Hp. Yamaha even figured out how to shove 5 into a head.
I'll post a picture as soon as I find the cord for the camera. I got it at a place called The Container Store. There is one about 20 miles away, but it is a chain store, so there are a lot of them all over. It is an exact duplicate of the real thing, except it does not say "property of such and such dairy" My XT has a Reflex blue Clarke tank and side covers, and white fairing and fenders. I found a blue one that is almost an exact match. It's not fancy, but it was cheap, and you would be amazed at what you can put in and mount all over the outside of a milk crate. I put a bungee net across the top, and can tie my sleeping bag and tent down on top of that. I can also use a fairly large saddlebag on the left, but the pipe gets in the way on the right. I have never taken a trip over 1000 miles on it, and don't plan to. The XT225 is a great bike, but it has the same seat problem as all other dual sports, and I'm getting to old to spend several days in a row on it. I still plan to use it for several years for local trips of 200-300 miles back out into the desert, or the forest up north. AZ has thousands of miles of trails to ride on, and lots of good camping places.
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (engine out, slowly being disassembled) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
2012 Zuma 125, 1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #5954
Keithert
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 628
I'm in the market for a used Yamaha TW200 or XT225. Can't wait to try some minimal touring!
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #5955
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CMS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Southern,OHIO
Oddometer: 240
GW 250 Suzuki

Klay,

Looking at an earlier post I see you have seen the GW250. Your the first one I heard to view the GW. Is it the same as the GZ? I 'm aware of the changes but the bike it's self ,smaller or larger? and the seating position is it a little cramped as the GZ? Old style maybe ,but I still put a lot of miles on the GZ,as you on your DR 200. I overlook the bikes limits and enjoy the ride. I value your opinion. I hope to see one at the upcoming bike show. CMS [Terry]
__________________
09 DL 650 [Grey/Black]
09 TU 250X [Red]
13 GW 250 [Black]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014