User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #6091
Seven7
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What about locks?

I plan to tour for the first time this summer. Thinking of starting with a local trip to a park about 4 hours away, stay for two nights and then home.

I'm not sure what I'll do during the day - find some fire-roads, or park and paddle. I'm an experienced tripper but touring is all new to me.

My question: I'm not seeing anything in the way of bike security. Does anyone use anything? I'm probably being paranoid, but there's nothing wrong with paranoid, right? My plan was to take a chain and a small u-lock that I can use to either chain the tires together, or chain my ride to a tree.

Is it necessary? Has anyone ever lost a bike to thieves on a tour?

ADV is an incredible forum. Thanks guys, for everything.
Seven7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #6092
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,656
A lock doesn't really help in most cases. If someone wants to steal a bike, they can just pick it up if it's locked to itself, or just use a boltcutters if it's locked to something. One of the advantages that the minimal tourer often enjoys is that the bike often isn't of much value, and therefore isn't coveted by potential thieves.

I've carried a cable and a padlock at times to lock helmet and riding suit to the bike, and if I'm really paranoid, I'll carry things such as cameras or electronics with me if I leave the bike for some reason. But in all my years of traveling, I've never had a bike stolen from me or any items taken. It's a worry that usually is unwarranted and interferes with the enjoyment of traveling at times.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #6093
zeeko
shiver me timbers

Oddometer: 62
bike thieves

I don't think it is very common for bikes to be stolen. It can't hurt to lock the steering column.
What I've done in the past, particularly while touring around Mexico, is to do a couple things: 1) is to park the wedged somewhere that would make it difficult to get it out with the steering column locked and 2) is to use a nice chunky padlock on the front and/or rear brake rotor.
A dedicated thief could get the bike if they really want it but thieves are by nature a lazy bunch and wouldn't want to put in the effort.
zeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #6094
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
I have never had a bike stolen on a tour in this country. In most small towns I would not hesitate to leave a bike on the street overnight in front of a motel or small-town hotel. During the daytime I would usually expect gear and luggage on the bike to be safe too, except in some big cities.

In Mexico, we would usually bring the bikes into a hotel courtyard for the night, and cable them together or to an immovable object. A friend once had his bike stolen after leaving it on the street overnight in front of his hotel, right across the road from a kind of seedy bar. He was able to hunt the bike down by following his tire tracks in the street, but simply using his cable like his companions did would have saved him a day of hassle.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #6095
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
We rarely ever lock our steering stem locks, most times leave the key in the bike as well! Never had any gear stolen but we do carry these small combination lock cables to lock our helmets and or jackets if we're parked somewhere sketchy.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/pacsaf...250-cable-lock

I don't leave my gps in its mount if we can't see the bikes, lock it in a top case or take it with me. Basically common sense, and as one poster mentioned, you're not riding a Harley or a Gixxer, so you're not even on a thieves radar. Just protect your stuff from an opportunist, don't leave your Arai XD4 on the seat at a busy hiking spot / rest area for 4 hours while you're off on a hike.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #6096
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven7 View Post
Is it necessary? Has anyone ever lost a bike to thieves on a tour?

ADV is an incredible forum. Thanks guys, for everything.
I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I now have a minimal ride. But minimal $$$ it did not cost me, and its my daily driver to boot. I've found a few ideas.

One idea that I'm probably going to do is get a rLINK SR-i1100S. It's modular and one of the modules enables you to track your bike via GPS on your phone. What I fear most is someone just picking up my bike, throwing it on a truck and taking off. If you skip the actual siren options no one will know its there, hidden on your bike. Kryptonite has this service as well.

Another thought is putting a disc lock & alarm on it while you're away.

Locking it to something would be good as well, and Kryptonite offers a little insurance should one of their locks fail/break, $1,250. But the locks that qualify are really heavy, and that doesn't fit well with the minimalist tourer.

I never get tired of looking at this pic, if you can some how get yourself to look at the luggage you can see a little light security for soft bags.

You can find that kind of stuff, the bag locks not the girl here.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #6097
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I appreciate the comments. I have not had problems on trips, use the steering lock and take my electronics with me. The rest of my stuff is not worth a lot.

When I changed insurance companies, I was able to add theft to my motorcycle policies for very little, good for my peace of mind.

Sent from mobile
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #6098
ZOOT@84
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Pissed

Iam new to this forum and others 47 +eletronically challenged
So I finally decided my old z750 may be able to learn a thing or two from a more modern bony but all I could afford was a honda 250 twister.Well what can I say the old Zed easily outruns it on tops,no surprise there BUT at speed the little Twister is more comfortable and when it comes to fuel consumption it is no contest with the Twister getting 10km/l more.Iam so impressed with little machine that I will be doing a 4 province 1000km run with it on the 6th April.Bloem to Balfour to Vanderbijl to Leeuwdoringstad and back to Bloem.Have already done two 400kay day jols on her as well as a 115 offroad jol and no probs.
ZOOT@84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #6099
JohnPainter
XRing

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOT@84 View Post
I will be doing a 4 province 1000km
Way to go bro! Nice long ride.
JohnPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #6100
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I never get tired of looking at this pic, if you can some how get yourself to look at the luggage you can see a little light security for soft bags.
Those sure are some nice soft bags.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #6101
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're correct. I have ridden my Zongshen 200GY-2 over 53,000 miles, and it is still running strong.

I'm not trying to contradict anyone in particular. However, people who bash Chinese motorcycles usually don't have any experience with them whatsoever.

Spud
Wuhu
Aloha and Ahoy

Ignore my elation:
First time seeing another Zongshen jumpstarts my ticker

I'm enjoying a 125GY10. So sweet, so neat
In any kind of jungle, concrete too

lets jubilate
and celebrate
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #6102
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Wuhu
Aloha and Ahoy

Ignore my elation:
First time seeing another Zongshen jumpstarts my ticker

I'm enjoying a 125GY10. So sweet, so neat
In any kind of jungle, concrete too

lets jubilate
and celebrate
Hello, fellow Zongite! Greetings from Idaho.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #6103
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Hello, fellow Zongite! Greetings from Idaho.

Spud
Man, you spoil us with those magnificent landscapes.
Makes me feel so small, but hey, just to show the little "bélier" ('ram') at my favorite spot:

Don't say horses and motors don't mix. Actually getting along quite good.
Slainte
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #6104
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 167
locks

Now I'm doing day trips mostly on my KLR250 so just carry a cable and lock.When my permanent address was BMW motorcycle I carried a case hardened chain and lock. If I left it parked at a trail head for several days it was always waiting when I returned. I lost one tank bag in 20 years of traveling by BMW.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #6105
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
Not much activity in the last week...

Things seem to be slow on the minimalist front. Here's a bump-up.

Anyone around the Olympia~Aberdeen~Chehalis, Washington area that might like to get together for some wet-or-dry riding? Heck, even Vancouver WA for a ride out to the dry side sometime in the next couple of weeks?

BTW, those Zongshens are pretty dang good looking. Are they based on Honda motor design?
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote