Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #6136
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
But the Honda CRF250L weighs 320 lbs, which is a lot for a 250cc bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Yeah - I was disappointed to see the 320 lb curb weight of the CRF250L too. But at least it doesn't weigh nearly as much as the KLR650 at 432 lbs wet.

I think you're quoting the dry weight of the DR650. According to some forum postings the wet weight is around 367 lbs, so it's more like 47 lbs heavier than the CRF250L.

Mike
The DR650SE has a reported curb weight of 366 pounds.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...0SE.aspx#Specs

The CRF250L has a reported curb weight of 320 pounds.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cr...fications.aspx

However, according to Rick Ramsey, the actual curb weight of the Honda is 309 pounds.

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm

The stock muffler on the CRF250L is huge! You can easily lose 8 pounds by switching to an aftermarket muffler.

Substitute a LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery for the lead-acid battery, and you are easily under 300 pounds, which is comparable to either the Yamaha WR250R or the Kawasaki KLX250S.

Earlier, I was comparing the Honda CRF250L to the Chinese motorcycles. All of the Chinese bikes are heavy for their size. Therefore, considering the low price of the CRF250L, I consider the high-tech, fuel injected Honda a better value.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #6137
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,688
I should have gone to the Suzuki site for specs, I used a wikipedia reference which was a lot lower.

I'm sure the Honda is a nice bike, FI is a nice improvement. Swapping out the exhaust & battery to shave weight isn't cheap, but would make a big difference in off-road handling. For street mostly riding the added weight wouldn't be so bad, and will even help a bit when dealing with crosswinds.

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #6138
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
If I wanted a small bike that handled the highway I would get a WR250R without even thinking twice. Big gas tank, seat, and luggage, and you're set.

For carbed bikes, the way I handle all the elevation changes I go thru (from about 4k to 10k) I jetted for the lower elev and open up my airbox when I'm at the higher elevs. The higher elev riding isn't real fast so maximum HP isn't really necessary. -al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
I had been interested in getting a small dual sport motorcycle for about 5 years before I got a tu250 last September not exactly what I originally wanted but I love it for comuting the 26 miles back and forth to work. The traffic runs about 75 on the posted 65 highways so im running almost wot everyday which im glad the tu does great doing that or it would double the time it takes to get to work. After looking at this thread I realize i really dont get out enough some of these pictures are so beautiful! so basically I am really wanting a dual sport again I love the tw200 but living in Arizona in a giant valley any where I go its 65 or 75 mph up pretty big incline mountains to get to any roads that you can really enjoy a slower less hilly joy ride, so I would almost be stuck with a 400cc range. And because the elevation around here is around 2000ft going up to 5000 to 7000 ft I think I would need FI. I have never owned any thing with a carb other than a 150cc scooter that I just road around town, so I don't know what you can get away with on a carb.
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #6139
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 199
I went on an almost 200 mile journey on the tu250. I got some pictures but I don't know how to load pictures or even know if I can only having a phone for Internet. I went about 5 miles on a well maintained dirt road and then got side tract and found a jeep trail that I went down about 100 yards or so and had to turn around due to steep loose dirt incline. It was a great time out as always. Thanks al for the advise on the carb question. I had looked at the wr250 but I kinda thought they were mostly for offroad and maybe bad road manners. But I love the way they look. Also anyone out there with an original xt250? My friend has an 81 but it doesn't seem to be able to go over 60 with out the motor sounding like it going to blow up from high Rpms what's the original gearing or what have people gone to to cruze at 60 65? I hear people that can do it.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #6140
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 24
Question Pictures how to upload or embed

Many of us new members on here do not post because we don't know how to do it on the forums. Hope some experienced members will give us dumb guys some help on it.

Gearing- If your engine is maxed out in rpms at 60mph you need to go up a tooth or two on the front sprocket. Generallym going up one tooth on the front is equivalent to going up 3 on the rear.that will drop the top end rpm's of the engine and increase top end speed. I am installing an inexpensive rpm gauge on my xr250l to see what my final rpm is at. Does anyone's know what the redline is on a 1996 xr250l? I just got thru going thru my bike and finally fixed the hard starting problem. Bought the bike new in 96 and only has 1100 miles on it mostly due to its hard to start issue. Even took it to the dealer back when it was new (600 miles on it) and had valves adjusted . It was even harder to start then.
Recently I disconnected the compression release and now it starts pretty easy!
I also did the accellerator pump fix at the same time. I think what happened is that the dealer did not adjust the decompresser right but made it worse. First bike I ever had with a decompresser on it.
I have a much bigger road bike but at 65 years old the Harley his harder to hold up and man handle around these days. I am seriously looking to trade these two bikes off and would like to get a DS at 300 lbs or so with largest engine possible such as a 400-600cc. Looking hard at the Honda xr650 but want to consider others too. My xr250l is great but struggles at 65 on the freeway.
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #6141
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipinn View Post
Many of us new members on here do not post because we don't know how to do it on the forums. Hope some experienced members will give us dumb guys some help on it.
I use Tinypic http://tinypic.com/[/URL]

Easy to use and quick.

1. Browse to the Tinypic site. It looks like this:

2. Select "Browse" and find the image you wish to upload from your harddrive. For the "Resize" option I usually choose "Message Board 640x480" (or larger if needed). Then click "Upload Now!"

3. The capcha screen will then appear and you will either have to type in the answer to a simple question, or just type in some text. After having completed this - click "Upload Now!"

4. After a bit of a wait (depending on how large the image file size is) you will see the following screen appear.

If you click on the text underneath "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" it will be highlighted. You can right-click on it and select "copy" to copy the text. All you need to do then is just paste it into the message reply window you've created and where you want your photos to appear. You can do this by right-clicking in the window where your cursor is positioned, and selecting "paste" from the menu. When you preview the posting you will see the image appear where you pasted the link.

That's it! :)

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #6142
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:

Gearing- If your engine is maxed out in rpms at 60mph you need to go up a tooth or two on the front sprocket. Generallym going up one tooth on the front is equivalent to going up 3 on the rear.that will drop the top end rpm's of the engine and increase top end speed. I am installing an inexpensive rpm gauge on my xr250l to see what my final rpm is at. Does anyone's know what the redline is on a 1996 xr250l? I just got thru going thru my bike and finally fixed the hard starting problem. Bought the bike new in 96 and only has 1100 miles on it mostly due to its hard to start issue. Even took it to the dealer back when it was new (600 miles on it) and had valves adjusted . It was even harder to start then.
Recently I disconnected the compression release and now it starts pretty easy!
I also did the accellerator pump fix at the same time. I think what happened is that the dealer did not adjust the decompresser right but made it worse. First bike I ever had with a decompresser on it.
I have a much bigger road bike but at 65 years old the Harley his harder to hold up and man handle around these days. I am seriously looking to trade these two bikes off and would like to get a DS at 300 lbs or so with largest engine possible such as a 400-600cc. Looking hard at the Honda xr650 but want to consider others too. My xr250l is great but struggles at 65 on the freeway.
Have you raised the needle in the carb and dremeled off the ear tab on the air/fuel screw? That will help it a good amount.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #6143
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Also anyone out there with an original xt250? My friend has an 81 but it doesn't seem to be able to go over 60 with out the motor sounding like it going to blow up from high Rpms what's the original gearing or what have people gone to to cruze at 60 65? I hear people that can do it.
I have a SR250 that has basically the same engine/drivetrain as the old XT250. The gearing on the SR250 is 16/46 (but others say 17/42 works better) and has no problems on the highways.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #6144
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Nanabijou, thank you so much for walking us through how to use tinypic.com!! I had written a review of an air rifle at a forum and could not get the photos to attach, as they were too large. I used tinypic and it worked GREAT!! The photos were of targets I shot with the air rifle.

I bookmarked the website.
Hey, I'm an old geezer and a Grandpa, and this computer stuff doesn't come so easy for me. It's way harder than riding motorcycles!

Thansk again.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #6145
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,056
Best to use a photo hosting site, I use SmugMug, a paid site and that helps Baldy, the owner of ADVRider keep the lights on, or PhotoBucket etc., then just link to your uploaded photos. All the sites give you an easy way to copy the link to the photo.

here's how to post images on here... there's a link to a tutorial that explains it better than I do below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Here's my wife's DR200 (photo stored on our SmugMug account), if you quote this message you'll see what the photo code looks like, but basically I copy the link while in Smugmug, click the photo button (looks like a picture of a mountain), paste my link and voila! photo appears.

Insert picture link button

insert picture dialog, paste your link from your photo hosting site here...

bross screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 12:24 PM
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #6146
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 24
Wicked Xr250l carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
Have you raised the needle in the carb and dremeled off the ear tab on the air/fuel screw? That will help it a good amount.
Thank you for reminding me. I have removed the locking tab on the pilot screw and opened it to 2 1/4 turns.
I also installed an inline fuel filter. The slow speed jet has such little holes in it that a grain of sand could block them. Now am trying to find a solution to this awful ethanol . Must be some reasonably priced additive to prevent it gumming the carb when it sits for a couple of weeks. Was just at ace hardware and their additive for small engines is 10 bucks and on the can says treats one gallon!!!
That makes for some mighty expensive fuel.

I did not raise the needle thou because I was thinking the needle only has to do with the Main jet and would not come into play during start up or idle. Am I mistaken on this point and would raising the needle jet help on starting?
Thank you
Chuck
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #6147
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Thank you for reminding me. I have removed the locking tab on the pilot screw and opened it to 2 1/4 turns.
I also installed an inline fuel filter. The slow speed jet has such little holes in it that a grain of sand could block them. Now am trying to find a solution to this awful ethanol . Must be some reasonably priced additive to prevent it gumming the carb when it sits for a couple of weeks. Was just at ace hardware and their additive for small engines is 10 bucks and on the can says treats one gallon!!!

I did not raise the needle thou because I was thinking the needle only has to do with the Main jet and would not come into play during start up or idle. Am I mistaken on this point and would raising the needle jet help on starting?
Thank you
Chuck
Try to find SeaFoam, it's usually $8-9 but treats 20 gal. or Amsoil Quickshot. I use Stabil in all our gas that may sit, gerry cans for chain saw, weed whacker etc. and make sure I stabilize all gas in our DRs because they can sit for months between rides sometimes. Then once in the spring and maybe once more during the season the bikes, quads etc. get a Seafoam treatment to clean them. Haven't had a problem with carbs gumming up yet.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #6148
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:

Thank you
Chuck
The lates issue of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) discusses ethanol related issues and additives....but sadly conjecture....not much experience
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #6149
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
The lates issue of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) discusses ethanol related issues and additives....but sadly conjecture....not much experience
The folks who are selling bikes (or cars) hopefully know what our gas is/isn't, and have engineered the engines accordingly (he said wishing this were true). Ethanol isn't new, all sorts of problems in the past, attracting water, and rusting tanks. Lots of folks running vintage bikes, with fiberglass tanks, are draining the tanks after riding. Boats with fiberglass tanks also experiencing problems. No ethanol free gas around here.

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #6150
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
The folks who are selling bikes (or cars) hopefully know what our gas is/isn't, and have engineered the engines accordingly (he said wishing this were true). Ethanol isn't new, all sorts of problems in the past, attracting water, and rusting tanks. Lots of folks running vintage bikes, with fiberglass tanks, are draining the tanks after riding. Boats with fiberglass tanks also experiencing problems. No ethanol free gas around here.
Possibly for a clean sheet design of a new bike, but doesn't help with a lot of current bikes like Suzuki's DR series, Honda XR, XLs which are basically unchanged for the past dozen or so, or longer years.

And as far as the manufacturers engineering in a fix or solution for ethanol, I wouldn't hold my breath. We've been running ethanol in our fuel for probably 15 years here in Canada and our new 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T has as part of it's regular maintenance...

one bottle of additive added to the fuel tank at every engine oil change is recommended. Additives are available from your authorized HYUNDAI dealer along with information on how to use them. Do not mix other additives.