ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #6196
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvx View Post
Holy shit that's a long sentence.

Yes, but he is in the minority of people online that know the difference between "then and than"!
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #6197
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
On a different note are most 250s set up from the factory set up for lighter riders like the sherpa is ? Taking my forks apart today to see if I can get it a bit more fat American friendly .
Yep, and most 650s are too... I ride with a guy that is like 5'6" and weighs about 145 pounds.... he never has to respring bikes. Seems like that's who most Japanese bikes are built for.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #6198
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Honestly the biggest problem with the WR250R is the price . For the money your are quickly approaching the price of a 650 or 2 lesser 250s . I paid 3200 for my 09 sherpa brand new , the same dealer was asking 6000 for a WR250 and 6900 for a left over klr650 . If money isnt a concern the WR is the best option on the market I think here in the US . Ive heard several guys getting really good deals on the honda 250 which I think is a real good value for the money .


On a different note are most 250s set up from the factory set up for lighter riders like the sherpa is ? Taking my forks apart today to see if I can get it a bit more fat American friendly .

I chose to go with 2 bikes. My WR450 is great on the trails, with twice the Hp and a lot less weight. My XT225 makes a great spare trail bike for guests, scouting out trails, and piling on road miles.

The WR205R may have 26,000 mile valve adjustments...., but how much could you sell one for with 26,000 miles? Same for the DRZ400...
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #6199
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Honestly the biggest problem with the WR250R is the price . For the money your are quickly approaching the price of a 650 or 2 lesser 250s . I paid 3200 for my 09 sherpa brand new , the same dealer was asking 6000 for a WR250 and 6900 for a left over klr650 . If money isnt a concern the WR is the best option on the market I think here in the US . Ive heard several guys getting really good deals on the honda 250 which I think is a real good value for the money .

On a different note are most 250s set up from the factory set up for lighter riders like the sherpa is ? Taking my forks apart today to see if I can get it a bit more fat American friendly .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I chose to go with 2 bikes. My WR450 is great on the trails, with twice the Hp and a lot less weight. My XT225 makes a great spare trail bike for guests, scouting out trails, and piling on road miles.

The WR205R may have 26,000 mile valve adjustments...., but how much could you sell one for with 26,000 miles? Same for the DRZ400...
True - you can pay a little more and get a KLR650 which weighs 130 lbs more, gets poorer fuel economy, has an outdated carb, and has about the same power when wet weight is factored in. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a KLR650. They are incredibly popular, with proven reliability. I just think the KLR650 is long overdue for a serious update by Kawasaki.

I bought my 2009 WR250R used in an effort to eliminate the one big con for me - price. You can still get some great deals on used ones, particularly in the U.S. I also installed the IMS 3.1 gallon tank on mine - so now range isn't an issue either.

I think the CRF250L is a fantastic value too. I still think the WR250R is overall a better bike (and online magazine reviews seem to concur) but if it had come out a couple of years ago - I would have likely purchased it instead of my WR250R. But now I'm glad I purchased the WR250R instead. No regrets.

GlennR - I think you are on the right track. Have more than one bike so you'll have a bike that's more suitable for the kind of riding you want to do on any given day.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:00 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #6200
viper770
Studly Adventurer
 
viper770's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas The land of oz
Oddometer: 571
get the wr
__________________
2012 YAMAHA WR250R
2013 KAWASAKI KLR650
"Take the long way home"
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #6201
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?
 
Earthscape's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
viper770, thank goodness you didn't post pics of your butt

What's the best/least expensive lift/stand for home wheel removal, ect?
This one is inexpensive, and works well for dual-sport bikes ~300 lbs. or less. I would look elsewhere if you're needing it for anything significantly heavier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-...and-66552.html
__________________
"You do your own thing in your own time, you should be proud."

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #6202
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dfye55's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: south central Indiana
Oddometer: 237
harbor freight stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
This one is inexpensive, and works well for dual-sport bikes ~300 lbs. or less. I would look elsewhere if you're needing it for anything significantly heavier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/350-lb-...and-66552.html
Looking at that design, I'd want 3 people to get it down. One on each side of the bike and one to kick the lever. Is the stand well behaved... can you really get a bike down safely by yourself?
__________________
Don '05 KLR 250 & '04 DR 200
dfye55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #6203
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
ArmyJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
Looking at that design, I'd want 3 people to get it down. One on each side of the bike and one to kick the lever. Is the stand well behaved... can you really get a bike down safely by yourself?
I have one of those stands for my WR250R. No problems using it solo.
__________________
2009 Can-Am Spyder RS, 2008 Yamaha WR250R

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #6204
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?
 
Earthscape's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Western Mass
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
Looking at that design, I'd want 3 people to get it down. One on each side of the bike and one to kick the lever. Is the stand well behaved... can you really get a bike down safely by yourself?
I've never even given it a second thought. Left hand on the handlebar, right hand on the rear rack/fender/whatever, left foot on the lever, release the lock with the left toe and lower it to the ground with the left leg. Easier than it sounds. I store a bike on this stand whenever it's not being used, so I've done this many, many times without incident.
__________________
"You do your own thing in your own time, you should be proud."

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #6205
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 389
I never think WR250 is a minimalist bike. It is too bling bling, too high tech, too complicated. To me, minimalist means cheap and simple. And if it breaks, you can usually fix it with a screwdriver and hammer.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #6206
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dfye55's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: south central Indiana
Oddometer: 237
Glad to hear, I might even buy one myself now. Thx.

Sent from mobile
__________________
Don '05 KLR 250 & '04 DR 200
dfye55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #6207
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I never think WR250 is a minimalist bike. It is too bling bling, too high tech, too complicated. To me, minimalist means cheap and simple. And if it breaks, you can usually fix it with a screwdriver and hammer.
The WRR isn't blinged out, nor complicated; it was simply the first modern Japanese dual sport in ages. Almost all new motorcycle designs will be fuel injected, water cooled, etc. to provide the power riders want and lower emissions.

This thread started with this premise, and the WRR qualifies just as well as a KLR250, Super Sherpa or DR350:

Welcome to the Minimalist Touring Thread: the place for everyone who is interested in adventure touring on small displacement (250cc and under) thumpers.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #6208
2whlrider
Where to next?
 
2whlrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Flatipeg, Manitoba
Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
The WRR isn't blinged out, nor complicated; it was simply the first modern Japanese dual sport in ages. Almost all new motorcycle designs will be fuel injected, water cooled, etc. to provide the power riders want and lower emissions.

This thread started with this premise, and the WRR qualifies just as well as a KLR250, Super Sherpa or DR350:

Welcome to the Minimalist Touring Thread: the place for everyone who is interested in adventure touring on small displacement (250cc and under) thumpers.
+1 Adventure touring on any 250 bike would be about the same. Some modern technology does not change that. Just a matter of what your into.
__________________
On two wheels....That's my Happy Place!
2whlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #6209
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,388
Bike lift

Thanks to all who contributed to the lift question. I actually thought I might be able to grab the forks and "wheelie" the bike onto a bucket or some such, but it wasn't happening. I guess that's how the CRF250L got the nickname LRP (Little Red Piggy). Stopped at a local dealer last week who had WT250, and it seemed small by comparison, being air cooled and all. Liquid cooled, more stuff, more weight, by about 30 lbs.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #6210
kirkkw
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 97
Tire change toll

A few months ago on this thread was a discussion of a tire installation tool which I think was being made in Australia but I might be wrong about that.

It seems the last thread said he was moving his house so the production stopped.

Does anyone know the story about this?

There is another thread about a group buy of a similar tool made in Estonia. The group buy is now closed.

So that brings up the similar tool on this thread.

kirkkw is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014