User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #6301
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Question 2004 dr200

The local paper has a 04 dr200 for sale, looked up the spec's and it's tempting. Anyone use a dr200 for touring? What kind of MPG do you get? What kind of luggage system do you use?

Thanks Oh, shhh... don't tell my wife I'm looking at yet another one!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #6302
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
The local paper has a 04 dr200 for sale, looked up the spec's and it's tempting. Anyone use a dr200 for touring? What kind of MPG do you get? What kind of luggage system do you use?

I've gone touring on a DR200. If you encounter hills or headwinds, it'll knock your top speed below 55 mph. One time with headwind, I got lower than 40 miles to the gallon. Normally the mileage is 70-80 mpg. It must be said that the winds were really high that day. I use Ortlieb soft luggage.

It was an adventure. Go for it. Ride the gravel.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #6303
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,113
I have an XT225 (much like the DR200) that I've taken some longer rides on. As Klay says, with headwind and making the bike work hard your mileage will suffer. If I'm pushing it to go 60-65 all the time with our hills here, I can get better mileage with my DR650. If I relax and go 45-55 and enjoy the side roads more, I'll get really good mileage and have more fun anyway.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #6304
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:

My wife has done several tours on her DR200, 2-3000kms. Pretty much similar to what others have said, she can maintain 60mph on the flats plus a bit more, but will drop to 40-45 on some of our bigger hills. Speed limit for the most part around here is 50-55mph anyway so not a problem. Stay off any interstate type roads. She averages 30km/l which is about 86mpg imperial (Canada), 72mpg US. She can go 300km (186miles) before switching to reserve with about 90km (55miles) left in reserve.

I installed these SeaHorse cases using Happy Trails pannier mounts. They unscrew in two minutes if you want to pack them into your room.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #6305
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to all for the great input. I could not find HP for either DR200 or the XT225. But sounds like they are very similar to my tu250's 17 hp

I think I'd prefer the dual sport for all round use. The tu250 looks great, and fuel injection is nice, but the suspension is not so good. All the tours I have scheduled have off pavement sections.

Sent from mobile
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #6306
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,205
A DR200 is around 14 hp.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #6307
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 231
I have a dr250 and a tu250 I feel the same way I want something to do touring on. The dr I have only ridden a couple times up and down the street and decited to make it street legal but I have not finished it. But it feels about the same power. I wish Suzuki would make a dual sport and put that tu250 motor in it that would make a great bike with FI. Also if there are no whoops and it's hard dirt the tu does ok.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #6308
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Thanks for the kind words Terry! Did you take any photos of your first ride? I was able to take the CBR150R out on 3 consecutive days last week. Really loving this bike. The new chassis just fits me like a glove.

I'm really enjoying touring and camping on my bikes (CBR150R, WR250R, CBR250R) and reporting on it afterwards. It's fun not knowing what the day will bring and then seeing the story unfold in front of you as you go. I hope to do more minimalist touring and report writing this summer. I have a ride planned to Wawa already, and anticipate riding to Bon Echo park near Belleville, ON this June too. Should be lots of fun. I was actually planning on taking my CBR150R out to California in August as well - but a friend now wants to come with me - and won't be able to make it until next year - so I've delayed those plans until then.

Terry - have you done any touring/camping on the TU 250X? Love the look of that bike too. If you have the opportunity - I would suggest doing the circle route of Lake Superior. Incredibly spectacular scenery.

Mike
Mike, Sorry to reply so late , I do a little touring on the TU and the GZ,no camping as yet on either one. The weather broke and I did a 200+ mile run on the GZ this past week. It is more of a pack mule ,due to accessories avalibilty [Rear racks etc] The Suzuki folks still do not offer even a tail rack for the TU in the US. I read today that Suzuki will be cutting bike dealerships and bikes in the US this year. They already filed bankruptcy on their car market in the US, makes for a unsure feeling on future sales. Quick question, can the bars on the CBR 250 be raised? I like the riding position but would prefer the bars to up just a little. looking forward to reading about your next trip. cms Terry
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #6309
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
Mike, Sorry to reply so late , I do a little touring on the TU and the GZ,no camping as yet on either one. The weather broke and I did a 200+ mile run on the GZ this past week. It is more of a pack mule ,due to accessories avalibilty [Rear racks etc] The Suzuki folks still do not offer even a tail rack for the TU in the US. I read today that Suzuki will be cutting bike dealerships and bikes in the US this year. They already filed bankruptcy on their car market in the US, makes for a unsure feeling on future sales. Quick question, can the bars on the CBR 250 be raised? I like the riding position but would prefer the bars to up just a little. looking forward to reading about your next trip. cms Terry
Funny you'd mention raising the bars. I knew I had read something related to this recently.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/21/helibars-cbr250r-replacement-bars/

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #6310
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,326
There are 2 or 3 racks for the TU, cycleracks and manracks make them.
manracks makes an over the tail light rack and a rear seat rack.
After break in, the TU makes about 19 hp but has a real wide power band.

Or, you could do this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/P1020964.jpg

Someplace in Siberia...
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #6311
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

custom rack for tu250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
... The Suzuki folks still do not offer even a tail rack for the TU in the US. ....
I've got enough miles on this custom TU250 rack to know it's got no problems. Simple, built from hack saw, hand drill, file and a few bolts from local hardware store. Most bags will secure to it.

Let me know if you want more construction details or photos.

Quote:
Finally put together the simple rack for my luggage. It's just a plate of 3/16 aluminum and a couple brackets. I drilled the stock light bracket for one mount point. I made 12 slots in the plate to secure the web straps.

The bag is a Saddlemen AP2350, I don't remember what I paid, but thought it was too much but it was the exact size I was looking for and it is good quality. Comes with nice backpack straps, doubt that I'll ever use them, but the rain cover was put to good use on my KLR250 for the Mississippi hill country ride, and it stood up to the mud and rain well.

Not sexy but low and out of the way functional, I like it.

Looking forward for the warmer weather and an opportunity to load up for a camping trip now.

Why do we blank out the plate number, what risk is there giving out my plate information?

Another question... the oem mirrors don't work, my arms are in the way. I've seen some TU's with bar end mirrors that look functional.... are they?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #6312
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Got my JC Whitney $40 trunk today. Thanks Spud.

1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #6313
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Got my JC Whitney $40 trunk today. Thanks Spud.
You're welcome. Your XT225 looks great, and the travel trunk looks good mounted on your bike.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #6314
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Sl125

Trolling, and found this, know nothing about it: http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/3713625750.html

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #6315
pinkius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20

Here is another nx125 with big time fun. went riding today and it was only 33 degrees but that could not stop me from fun
pinkius is offline   Reply With Quote