ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #6406
truepath
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Alexandria Minnesota
Oddometer: 13
Utah Fox

Nice picture. Sounds like you have a good trip planned. What kind of panniers are those?
truepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #6407
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer
 
jon_l's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by truepath View Post
Utah Fox

Nice picture. Sounds like you have a good trip planned. What kind of panniers are those?
I'm not Utah Fox, but they look like Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?...&product_id=96

I think UF's WRR looks quite well set-up, though I wouldn't want a Pelican top case on mine. I have short legs and enough trouble mounting the bike as it is. And with my sorry off-road skills, the Pelican could hurt me when I crash.
__________________
'09 Honda CBF1000; '09 Yamaha WR250R
jon_l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #6408
Leo.G
Is still learning
 
Leo.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Marcos Juárez, Córdoba, Argentina
Oddometer: 359
Hey Mates..

I've been thinking about putting some aux lights to my Tornado, such as fog lights or any other kind.. Or maybe putting a different headlight that puts some more light out the 35/35w bulb...

Do you have any ideas?

I don't want to spend sooo much money...
More or less I have 50ish spare watts from my stator/flywheel...

Here's a pic of mine (Notice the size of the headlight, and why I'm slighly scared to be caught by the night in the road)





I was thinking of addapting a headlight like this one (Of a Yamaha FZ 16) to a Tornado cowl.. but Maybe there was an easier thing to do...




Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!
__________________
2010 Honda XR 250 Tornado
Leo.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #6409
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Hey Mates..

I've been thinking about putting some aux lights to my Tornado, such as fog lights or any other kind.. Or maybe putting a different headlight that puts some more light out the 35/35w bulb...

Do you have any ideas?

I don't want to spend sooo much money...
More or less I have 50ish spare watts from my stator/flywheel...

Here's a pic of mine (Notice the size of the headlight, and why I'm slighly scared to be caught by the night in the road)





I was thinking of addapting a headlight like this one (Of a Yamaha FZ 16) to a Tornado cowl.. but Maybe there was an easier thing to do...




Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!
These aren't inexpensive, but draw very little power: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...-and-m10-mount
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #6410
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Goofy1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Frankfart, KY
Oddometer: 391
For aux lighting I really like these:

http://trailtech.net/single_halogen_mr16.html

(They even work on a KLR!)
__________________
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #6411
TimCC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TimCC's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Oddometer: 339
I've been eyeing these lights. ADVmonster
Made by an inmate too.

My TTR250 has the same problem with a weak headlight. I just wired them up with a relay so it's on 12 gauge wire straight from the battery. I haven't been out at night yet to see how much better it is.
TimCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #6412
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: South of the Border in MN
Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCC View Post
I've been eyeing these lights. ADVmonster
Made by an inmate too.
Ditto: I use the same lites from AdvMonster, with the dimmer. The dimmer functions with bright for high beams, dimmed for low. I have the three LED style light, and the four LED should be brighter. Recommended after 1 season of use, and I live in deer country in the far north of MN. Good lighting is critical for night riding here.

I added a yellow shield over one light to get better color contrast to see detail on dirt roads at night. Blacktop, the white is fine. That choice depends on where you ride at night, how much, and maybe what your eyes require.
__________________
R1150RT, F650GS thumper, KL250
BMW: "Beer, Motorcycles, Women"
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #6413
dalehazelton
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Oddometer: 47
How about something even brighter? Would require creative mounting because of the size but might be nice...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8858_200498858
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #6414
jkstehn
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Kent, WA
Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Dirt-Bike-Gear.com. I have their tool bag too that fits on the rear rack when I take all the other crap off.

http://dirt-bike-gear.com/npb.html



I have the same bag over the headlight. Holds tools, tube, patch kit, three tire spoons, and a few other things. No rattle no movement in over 10000 miles. Great piece of kit:)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Jon
WR 250 R

jkstehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #6415
tshelver
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beween here (SE Asia) and there (NH/VT)
Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
For aux lighting I really like these:

http://trailtech.net/single_halogen_mr16.html

(They even work on a KLR!)
The problem with MR16-bases lights is that they are relatively inefficient.
I'm looking into replacing the halogen with an LED MR16 but haven't found the perfect bulb yet.
__________________
'11 Yamaha YBR125G (cheap and very cheerful
'12 Zongshen Fly / Motorstar MSX200-II (biggest-fun-to-dollar ratio of any bike I've owned)
'03 Honda VFR800 (sold)
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #6416
Leo.G
Is still learning
 
Leo.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Marcos Juárez, Córdoba, Argentina
Oddometer: 359
Mmm...

Most of that options a little far away of the money I'm willing to spend.. Also importing something into Argentina right now is a real pain in the neck (not to say other body parts )

I'm a little busy with exams at university right now.. I'll see what I can find out when I get a little free time...
I think I'll have to go to some car spares's shop and see what I can get..
If not I may have to buy something out and try to get it imported...
Doesn't anyone have any aux lights to sell cheap?
__________________
2010 Honda XR 250 Tornado
Leo.G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #6417
moterbiker
Gypsy diver
 
moterbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BOAF Caves, NC
Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Mmm...

Most of that options a little far away of the money I'm willing to spend.. Also importing something into Argentina right now is a real pain in the neck (not to say other body parts )

I'm a little busy with exams at university right now.. I'll see what I can find out when I get a little free time...
I think I'll have to go to some car spares's shop and see what I can get..
If not I may have to buy something out and try to get it imported...
Doesn't anyone have any aux lights to sell cheap?
I would seriously consider buying an HID kit from Ebay. Less than $50 will get you a much brighter light at the same 35 watts.
Some will argue the reflector is the problem, they would be mostly right but I have seen the difference it made on my KLR and the wife's dr650. On another note I rarely ride my XT225 at night but the few times I have done it I was pleasantly surprised at how well the stock light worked. Mine is a later (05) model with a standard H4 bulb
__________________
Some random stuff for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #6418
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I'm not Utah Fox, but they look like Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?...&product_id=96

I think UF's WRR looks quite well set-up, though I wouldn't want a Pelican top case on mine. I have short legs and enough trouble mounting the bike as it is. And with my sorry off-road skills, the Pelican could hurt me when I crash.
Pelican makes a box about 1/3 that size. Makes for a great waterproof top box that you can lock (pad locks) and easily put soft luggage over and strap down. Wouldn't hurt when you fall (DAMHIK s). Have one on both of our Sherpas and I really like having it back there.

Edit:
Leaving town for a few days, but if you're interested send me a PM and I'll send you a photo next week and try to find the model number.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #6419
tshelver
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beween here (SE Asia) and there (NH/VT)
Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Mmm...

Most of that options a little far away of the money I'm willing to spend.. Also importing something into Argentina right now is a real pain in the neck (not to say other body parts )

I'm a little busy with exams at university right now.. I'll see what I can find out when I get a little free time...
I think I'll have to go to some car spares's shop and see what I can get..
If not I may have to buy something out and try to get it imported...
Doesn't anyone have any aux lights to sell cheap?
Cheapest option would be to replace the halogen with an HID setup. My local bike parts store in SE Asia had several types in stock for just over $20 and I could have found a lower price.
The only negative is that the beam pattern blinds oncoming cars occasionally.

Your local car parts store should have several cheap options, but check out mounting options and durability when used on a bike.
At the lower price points, the LED units probably don't offer sufficient performance, so you will be stuck with halogen, or factor in an HID bulb swap.

Either way, with 50 free watts, you probably can only run one extra light.

I went through all the options with a 35W headlight on a 125 earlier this year, and the only practical / affordable option was the HID swap.
I'm currently trying to fit a Baja Designs Tecate to a very nice Chinese 200 dual sport, and am looking at swapping out the 75W MR16 halogen 'lowbeam' (HID high) for an LED, but currently I can't find an LED MR16 locally that generates even 600 lumens, and and then there are still heatsink issues.
__________________
'11 Yamaha YBR125G (cheap and very cheerful
'12 Zongshen Fly / Motorstar MSX200-II (biggest-fun-to-dollar ratio of any bike I've owned)
'03 Honda VFR800 (sold)
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #6420
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
The only negative is that the beam pattern blinds oncoming cars occasionally.

.

Once is enough to get you killed.....


Whatever bulb is on the Yamaha XT225 has proved to be "good enough" for me. I don't ride it much at night, but have some. I did some of my first Interstate "speed tests" on the little 225 at night when the traffic was light. I was so excited to get it up to 82 mph....til somebody here ruined it for me by letting me know that the "true speed" was only 75....

I don't care what the "truth" is though, because it sure FEELS like 82 on the little bugger!!


Maybe you can just swap a bulb from an XT225 ? (would be cheap to try)
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014