Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk 2
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #6542
theBullseye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hello...... I love small displacement bikes !!!

2 years ago ...toured all over western Canada on a CBR125r (about 7500 kms) .Loved every minute of it !!! Toured Alberta from Cold Lake to the North to Crowsnest and Lethbridge to the south. Then went into B.C out to Vernon- Kelowna and down thru the kootenays.

Last year I upgraded............to a CBR250r !!! Best bike I ever had !! Did about 7000kms on her last year !! Toured BC again and all over central Alberta !! Got a Ventura Luggage System and was set for touring !! Can't wait for more trips !!

Got a new 2011 KLR over winter to complement my CBR250r. Two different bikes - Two different styles of riding !! Been spending time on the KLR and learning new skills BUT still LOVE my CBR250r !!! And I am a 43 year old fart, loving motorcycle riding again after 20 years away !!
theBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #6543
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
It's not what you own, it's about how much fun you have riding it.
Enjoy, and be safe.
Im a firm believer in this statement above,why do people have to get so caught up in what a person rides,ride,smile,smile smile,enjoy,and have as much fun a you can without hurting anyone,oh my Buddist side just snuck out.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #6544
Suurvlakte
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Im a firm believer in this statement above,why do people have to get so caught up in what a person rides,ride,smile,smile smile,enjoy,and have as much fun a you can without hurting anyone,oh my Buddist side just snuck out.
Next time try the Ceres Karoo area.It is stunning.Enjoy
Suurvlakte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #6545
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Lets keep this thread going! MORE PICS AND RIDE BLOGS! PLEASE
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #6546
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvx View Post
Lets keep this thread going! MORE PICS AND RIDE BLOGS! PLEASE

I just ordered some Plano #1404 cases to use as panniers. They are very inexpensive & lightweight, but I think they will be perfect for mounting on my Yamaha XT225. I'd bought one from Walmart last year and been thinking about if they are what I really want or not, and have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to find anything that compares to it for the price. They are only $11.50 each. (not at Wmart anymore. went to amazon .....I hate em' both equally!)
Since they are so affordable I ordered 3 more. I'm not sure if I will need all of them for the bike. Maybe 1 on top as a "trunk", 1 on the right side beside the exhaust, and "maybe" 2 will fit on the left side without the exhaust.

I don't know if that will be what I end up doing, but just thinking til they get here.

Will post pics.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #6547
8lives
Runnin on wonder

I think I need a change,KLR is just to big,it is my favorite all round bike Ive owned to date,But the KLX250 is looking pretty good,I really can't spring for a WR250,Im still a little uneasy about FI as the WR and the CRF have so the KLX is whats fitting the program at the moment and there seems to be a bunch of goodies available.Any thoughts??
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #6548
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
I think I need a change,KLR is just to big,it is my favorite all round bike Ive owned to date,But the KLX250 is looking pretty good,I really can't spring for a WR250,Im still a little uneasy about FI as the WR and the CRF have so the KLX is whats fitting the program at the moment and there seems to be a bunch of goodies available.Any thoughts??
That depends on a lot of factors. Where you will ride, riding style, height / weight and so on.

For general riding, I wouldn't discount something like the XT250 either, not that I've owned one. Simple, reliable, aircooled, fairly low seat height.

If you are just riding in North America, I don't see the issue with FI. I've been running bikes and cars with and without fuel injection since the 80s, and had far more problems with carburetors.
EFI also scores if your riding area has big altitude changes.

For RTW, maybe it's a different story.

Sent from my Android chinaphone, please excuse the spelling
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #6549
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Got a price on a new 2013 DR200 at the dealer in Hilo Hawaii today. $5300 out the door. Ouch!!
Birdmove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #6550
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
That depends on a lot of factors. Where you will ride, riding style, height / weight and so on.

For general riding, I wouldn't discount something like the XT250 either, not that I've owned one. Simple, reliable, aircooled, fairly low seat height.

If you are just riding in North America, I don't see the issue with FI. I've been running bikes and cars with and without fuel injection since the 80s, and had far more problems with carburetors.
EFI also scores if your riding area has big altitude changes.

For RTW, maybe it's a different story.

Ya I need to get over the FI phobia,Im tuning a Powercommander on my sons R6 at the moment and a laptop beats the hell outta jets and gas times 4 carbs.Im a small guy and though Im doing about 12000 miles a year on a bike mostly commuting and 1 or 2 long trips a year,of which I did just fine on a 250 ninja,I really like the 250cc and am wanting to get back there just in a dualsport way this time,but look what Dennis did on his LiL Ninja!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #6551
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
I remember being concerned about the switch to efi. Then I bought an efi wr. Things I've had to mess with on the efi bike:zero. Things I've had to mess with on carbed bike: stuck float-pissing fuel, sand grain in pilot jet, stripped phillips screw heads, jetting forums, checking the plug, cold starting fun..you get the picture. I'll take the remote chance of a dead failure over the slow nagging issues all day, every day. The old mentality of "I want to be able to fix it anywhere" goes hand in hand with a bike that needs to be fixed.
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #6552
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Ya I need to get over the FI phobia,Im tuning a Powercommander on my sons R6 at the moment and a laptop beats the hell outta jets and gas times 4 carbs.Im a small guy and though Im doing about 12000 miles a year on a bike mostly commuting and 1 or 2 long trips a year,of which I did just fine on a 250 ninja,I really like the 250cc and am wanting to get back there just in a dualsport way this time,but look what Dennis did on his LiL Ninja!
I did most of my commuting a few years back on a Ninja 250, in preference to a ZX12R, and I'm 6'2. That was 300 plus miles a day, the 2 to 4 days a week I went into the office.

Nowadays it's a Chinese 200 dualsport that I use for most 1-up riding and rides with the guys, and a 125 cc twin shock Yamaha dual sport that gets used for 2-up trips and around town.
I've 10K miles on the Yamaha that I bought January '12, but I was only here for 3 months the whole of last year.
The Zongshen has 4500 miles on now, bought in December but only got papers in March.

Both are engineered to suit 3rd world conditions. As such, I need a fairly limited set of tools to perform most jobs compared to the bigger bikes I rode in the US. Plus they are relatively easy for a roadside mechanic to maintain, repair and modify.
Carbs, steel frame to weld stuff on (although the Chinabike has a lot of aluminum components, but so far I've been lucky there). The Yammie's carb takes me only 30 seconds to remove from the bike.

The issue here with EFI is that I would have to import any controllers and stuff to tune the bike, and the local mechanics (anywhere that I've tried in the country) have no clue apart from replacing the system or major components.

Heck, I've yet to see a shop manual or torque wrench even in the dealer, let alone diagnostic equipment.

It's gotten that at times I've taken my own tools in when having work done, like fabbing up luggage mounts or drilling exhaust studs and so on at the local bike / engineering / parts shop.

'06 Husky TE610 (gone)

tshelver screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 03:05 AM
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #6553
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaymienRules View Post
I remember being concerned about the switch to efi. Then I bought an efi wr. Things I've had to mess with on the efi bike:zero. Things I've had to mess with on carbed bike: stuck float-pissing fuel, sand grain in pilot jet, stripped phillips screw heads, jetting forums, checking the plug, cold starting fun..you get the picture. I'll take the remote chance of a dead failure over the slow nagging issues all day, every day. The old mentality of "I want to be able to fix it anywhere" goes hand in hand with a bike that needs to be fixed.
I think you are right,able to fix it anywhere hand in hand with needs to be fixed,I need to repeat that over and over and get over it,that's whyI like being able to post and get good feed back from the world here,and quit acting like I live in Cuba trying to keep a 1950's car going!!LOL
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #6554
DaymienRules
Traffic target

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post

Both are engineered to suit 3rd world conditions. As such, I need a fairly limited set of tools to perform most jobs compared to the bigger bikes I rode in the US. Plus they are relatively easy for a roadside mechanic to maintain, repair and modify.
I've seen pics of these sorts of places on other ride reports, but am always curious, what kind of tool setups do these guys really have? Is it just like; pliers, hammer, and random bucket of bolts? Or can you expect to find a ratchet set, torx drives, snap ring pliers, a grinder...
DaymienRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #6555
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Keep the KLR, choose any of the 250s, KLX, WRR, CRF, XT, and you'll likely be happiest. As flexible as the KLR650 is, there are places where a 250 would be more fun, and as fun as the 250s are, there are places where the KLR will make you happier. Having both means you're that much closer to having the right tool for whatever it is you want to do that day. And still having the KLR, any shortcomings of the particular 250 that you choose will seem much less significant.
I know some people aren't in a position to have more than one bike, but if you can swing it, it's the way to go until someone makes a 50 HP, 270 lb., dual-range 7-speed transmission dual-sport that requires nothing but easy oil changes for 20,000 miles.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote