Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #6586
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBullseye View Post
BUT still LOVE my CBR250r !!!
I'm with you on that. And now there are a few used ones available here and there from squids moving up.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #6587
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
It is funny, all those people needing bigger bikes, but at least around my area, I seem to be faster then almost everything else on the roads on my under powered TU250.

OK, add a strong head wind and I have to draft a bit, but that is a small price to pay for all the light nimble bike fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Mostly highway, with 5 miles of tight country road to start, and 9 miles of rather congested traffic at the end.
I had a ZX12R that I used as well that had better weather protection and saddle, but it seldom got over 33 mpg, and required 2 to three fuel stops versus 1 to 2 on the baby Ninja, so the 250 got preference.
My fastest ever time was 2:20, on the 250, as it just wasn't worth running much over 80 mph due to excessive law enforcement most of the way.
Usually it took me 2:30 to 3 hours depending on traffic, fuel stops and so on.

Fortunately I could work from home 2, sometimes 3, days a week, and also traveled on business a lot, so it wasn't that bad.

I hear all the folks who can't imagine riding such a small bike, but can't answer me as to why I was almost never passed when riding the 250 on northern New England back roads...
Went past plenty of cruisers and stuff though :-)
Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #6588
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
It's a bit strange to me that so many riders claim that the Ninja 250 has an uncomfortable sports riding position. I'm 6'2, 58 years old and used to commute 320 miles a day on my '04.
The saddle wasn't good but the rest was fine. More of a standard bike ergonomic setup than sport bike.

Many of the dualsports you list would work fine as except for the lack of a center stand. Bigger fuel tanks are available. The tube thing has its pros and cons.
I dinged a wheel badly enough this year that we wouldn't have been able to continue with a tubeless tire. Riding on the bent wheel after repairing the puncture wasn't much fun but at least we got where we were going.
Getting stuck overnight in a critical area wouldn't have been much fun.

My 2005 Ninja had pretty comfy ergos compared to many bikes,when you consider the price I paid for it and the simple cheap maintenance it was a very practical commuter bike,oh and don't forget it had built in clips for attaching bungies/rope,the bike was a 2 wheeled Corolla.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #6589
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
The Honda CBR250R and Kawasaki EX250R are not, nor have they ever been, Sportbikes. They are "standard bikes" with a bit of bodywork for protection from wind and rain. They have almost fully upright ergonomics. You have to sit on these bikes, and test ride them, before you complain about "sport bike ergonomics".

Now we are all a little bit different in size and preference. To some, the bars are a bit too far forward - usually for folks with short torso lengths. To some, the pegs are a bit cramped - usually for folks with long inseams. However, the riding heights on these bikes is relatively low, the ground clearance is relatively low (so shorter riders are more comfortable), and the corresponding suspension travel is a bit limited. All in all, however, these bikes are great for everyone from beginner to more experienced riders.

The first thing that many, many people riding dual sports and dirt bikes do is change out their bars to fit their individual needs, either for their height and reach, or to facilitate riding standing. Even Supersport riders often change to LSL or superbike bars for comfort when sport-touring. Hence, the first modification for anyone feeling that the bars of the CBR or EX-R are too forward should be to add bar risers.

Not taking advantage of these bikes economy and range, and inherant touring ability because you are unwilling to add risers or change the bars, and instead going to a bike less well suited to your primary purpose, is simply ludicrous.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 04:48 PM
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #6590
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
It is funny, all those people needing bigger bikes, but at least around my area, I seem to be faster then almost everything else on the roads on my under powered TU250.

OK, add a strong head wind and I have to draft a bit, but that is a small price to pay for all the light nimble bike fun.
I hear ya, but there is nothing wrong with wanting more power than what a 250 can provide. I'd argue they can be cramped for most people, so speed isn't always most important. Yes they can do the highway, but sometimes you need quick acceleration while already going 70 to avoid a hairy situation, a 250 can't do that, TU or otherwise.

Small bikes offer what others can't and vice-versa, plain and simple.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #6591
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I hear ya, but there is nothing wrong with wanting more power than what a 250 can provide. I'd argue they can be cramped for most people, so speed isn't always most important. Yes they can do the highway, but sometimes you need quick acceleration while already going 70 to avoid a hairy situation, a 250 can't do that, TU or otherwise.

I don't understand how people can be particularly cramped on the TUx. I am 6'6" and fit great. I would like the seat a tad higher, but that isn't a requirement, just a preference.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #6592
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,666
I was surprised to find out that the 750 Moto Guzzi V7 series bikes feel cramped to me compared to the TU250. I'm sure there's a TU250 in my future.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #6593
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,809
Some people's knees only like to bend so far comfortably...
Old 06-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #6594
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post

I see plenty of other vehicles on the road that are incapable of quick acceleration from 70 mph. Are they all at risk?
I could just as well argue that it's dangerous to ride many cruisers because they are incapable of going fast on tight roads to the stay out of trouble.

My Ninja 250 used to run over 90 mph in I95 traffic just fine, and in a few years of commuting I95 and other freeways, I never felt that I had insufficient power for any situation. But then I try to be situationally aware, and plan ahead rather than just react as stuff happens.
And, for me running those speeds on I95 with all the other traffic was actually fun, where on the 1200 it could get a little boring frustrating, having the watch the speedometer and radar detector constantly.

As for having to run over 70 mph to avoid situations, in most places in the USA that's against the law.
25 to 30 mph over the limit is enough to get you a mandatory court appearance, a reckless driving charge, and big points on your license in many states.
BTDT, which is the main reason I sold the ZX12R, and one reason I don't like riding in the USA on paved roads as much as I used to.

I had an altercation with a cop once about running just over 70 mph on I81, my argument being that lots of the other traffic was running faster, and I would be endangering myself to run at 65. I lost that argument...

The sport 250s and some of the faster dualsports like the WRF are capable of getting to those license endangering speeds quite easily on most US roads. .

I've traveled many thousands of miles in the USA, and never had a situation where I needed more power than the Ninja had to 'get out of trouble'. That's usually an excuse for a lack of traffic reading or riding skills.

And, there is nearly always other traffic running at or below the speed limit. Are they endangering themselves?

I drove across the US in '97 in a U-Haul, towing a car, that was incapable of exceeding 65 unless I slip streamed the big rigs. Never realized was risking my life...

What about all the folks riding 125s (and smaller) around the world? Are they in constant danger, or (gasp) are they having an adventure?
What about all the bicycle riders? Some days I ride my recumbent further than many pirates ride their cruisers, often on the same roads. Yet I'm still here to tell the tale.

In many countries, a 250 is way bigger than 99% of what people ride, yet they mix it up with about the same sized trucks and SUVs and so on. Are they all crazy?

Sure, smaller bikes demand a different riding style, more situational awareness and better riding skills to get the most out of them. That's why they are more fun for experienced or more aggressive riders. And that
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #6595
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
Thanks for data point. I am testing Tu250, first tank w 45mph limit was 94mpg. My ct90 got 104 on 3 day trip, wot was 45mph. I'm thinking of selling all my bikes for DR200, only thing I'd give up is the klr's70mph highway speed, hate riding like that anyway.
Well I did 125 miles each way every day of the week for a while,
mostly on my old Concours, northern NH to Boston, with over 30 miles of backroads and city. That was March to November, with snow and ice days in the car.

Still the same 2.5 hour ride due to traffic.
I used to cut that down by staying a few nights a week with the ex in Providence where she had a contract.
That's when going on a few days or week of business travel is a pleasure :-)

I used to also do a lot of contracts around the USA, if it was anything under 5 hours drive, I used to go on the bike or rent a car.
At one point, I kept one bike at the project (Memphis) and the other at home. Hop on the Connie to go to the airport, jump on the plane, hop on the GS in Memphis and go to work.

Allowed me to do some touring in other parts of the USA without wasting slab time.

Apologies for the OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Wow...that is a lot of seat time.

I certainly wasn't disbelieving being able to do it on a Ninja 250 tho. I have done a few 400 mile traveling days and one 550 on mine and didn't have a bit of trouble.

Just amazed at doing that day in and day out on any bike, even with working from home occasionally.

'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #6596
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
I see plenty of other vehicles on the road that are incapable of quick acceleration from 70 mph. Are they all at risk?
I could just as well argue that it's dangerous to ride many cruisers because they are incapable of going fast on tight roads to the stay out of trouble.

My Ninja 250 used to run over 90 mph in I95 traffic just fine, and in a few years of commuting I95 and other freeways, I never felt that I had insufficient power for any situation. But then I try to be situationally aware, and plan ahead rather than just react as stuff happens.
And, for me running those speeds on I95 with all the other traffic was actually fun, where on the 1200 it could get a little boring frustrating, having the watch the speedometer and radar detector constantly.

As for having to run over 70 mph to avoid situations, in most places in the USA that's against the law.
25 to 30 mph over the limit is enough to get you a mandatory court appearance, a reckless driving charge, and big points on your license in many states.
BTDT, which is the main reason I sold the ZX12R, and one reason I don't like riding in the USA on paved roads as much as I used to.

I had an altercation with a cop once about running just over 70 mph on I81, my argument being that lots of the other traffic was running faster, and I would be endangering myself to run at 65. I lost that argument...

The sport 250s and some of the faster dualsports like the WRF are capable of getting to those license endangering speeds quite easily on most US roads. .

I've traveled many thousands of miles in the USA, and never had a situation where I needed more power than the Ninja had to 'get out of trouble'. That's usually an excuse for a lack of traffic reading or riding skills.

And, there is nearly always other traffic running at or below the speed limit. Are they endangering themselves?

I drove across the US in '97 in a U-Haul, towing a car, that was incapable of exceeding 65 unless I slip streamed the big rigs. Never realized was risking my life...

What about all the folks riding 125s (and smaller) around the world? Are they in constant danger, or (gasp) are they having an adventure?
What about all the bicycle riders? Some days I ride my recumbent further than many pirates ride their cruisers, often on the same roads. Yet I'm still here to tell the tale.

In many countries, a 250 is way bigger than 99% of what people ride, yet they mix it up with about the same sized trucks and SUVs and so on. Are they all crazy?

Sure, smaller bikes demand a different riding style, more situational awareness and better riding skills to get the most out of them. That's why they are more fun for experienced or more aggressive riders. And that
Your points are cogent and extremely well presented. I concur 100 percent.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #6597
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,141
Just thought I'd add another pic of Kanny's lil TU250 Scrambler:
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #6598
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Your points are cogent and extremely well presented. I concur 100 percent.

Spud
Me also,insurance companies base their rates on horse power and the guys with the power to"get themselves outta trouble"pay more than those that ride smaller bikes,I have many miles on a 250,350,and a gutless KLR650 and never feel like the lack of power is dangerous,defensive driving is based on being aware and proactive.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #6599
bidda444
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
'94 dr250se

This arrived in my garage about 3 weeks ago - have been reading all I can on this forum and elsewhere about the 250-350 DR's. Your pics and info really are helpful. The first 100 miles were great. So, by Sept I need to figure how to carry my partridge-shotgun. And, it has a magic button

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-qSbf...-qSbfpZw-M.jpg
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #6600
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidda444 View Post
This arrived in my garage about 3 weeks ago - have been reading all I can on this forum and elsewhere about the 250-350 DR's. Your pics and info really are helpful. The first 100 miles were great. So, by Sept I need to figure how to carry my partridge-shotgun. And, it has a magic button

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-qSbf...-qSbfpZw-M.jpg

Eh. I'm familiar with that bike. Wish he'd hung on to it, but glad you've got a new ride. Maybe we'll get a chance to ride some loops in the Superior National Forest.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote