Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #6601
bidda444
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Yes, it may have already been on roads and trails ridden by Leon.
And may be at the Shindig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Eh. I'm familiar with that bike. Wish he'd hung on to it, but glad you've got a new ride. Maybe we'll get a chance to ride some loops in the Superior National Forest.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #6602
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,811
Hey, I loved my lil xt, it was just a tad small. And now I love my dr350, just pointing out that wanting a bike bigger than a 250 doesn't make you crazy or an inexperienced rider, each has their ups and downs. One of each seems to be the way to go for me
Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #6603
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Me also,insurance companies base their rates on horse power and the guys with the power to"get themselves outta trouble"pay more than those that ride smaller bikes,I have many miles on a 250,350,and a gutless KLR650 and never feel like the lack of power is dangerous,defensive driving is based on being aware and proactive.
+1.
Also, I tend to trust the insurance companies. Their statistics are a lot more reliable than random internet anecdotes. They have to pay out less often on the small bikes (the big rate jump is on anything over 350cc), because they are getting in fewer crashes.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #6604
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,253
Yeah, you don't often hear on the ten o'clock news about "another 250 that lost control in a curve and flipped out through the trees, killing the rider."

Extra power to get out of trouble is a weak argument at best to convince the wife you need such and such a bike.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #6605
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 285
Bikes

I have both a 250 and a 650. ( Honda NX250 & Kawasaki KLR650 )
I like the 650 for being able to keep up with traffic going up hills. The NX250 just won't go up hills at 50 - 60 mph. The KLR is competent enough in the rough, but I'm not!

I can take the 250 places where it would be impossible to turn the KLR around with out picking it up. I use the 250 to explore those dead ends where I would not be able to turn the KLR around.

They each have their place. I do use both of them equally.

BTW: Here’s a short video of a recent ride. Not a difficult ride, just a nice place to visit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjxS9FQWCU4
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #6606
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 233
Bidda444 I like your dr. I got one a year ago and wanted to convert it to be street legal (not the s version) but shortly after I bought a tu250 and never finished it. I ride 26 miles one way to work on highway 70 mph have you had it at that speed or any one else for that matter know how they do at that speed? I wouldn't be riding it every day just on occasion. Also mine is a 1990 so it's just 2 valves I understand they went to 4 later on, And the horse bumped up a little.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #6607
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
First of all, I agree that the Suzuki DR200 tank is fine. It's quite a bit bigger than the stock tank on an XT225. Put a centerstand on a DR200 and it would be just about ready for anything. Or, you could do what I did on my XT before I got the centerstand. I have a Bryan Swens rack (no longer made, but Immix Racing is about the same) on it, and I have bolted a milk crate to that. It took a little time, but in the event of a flat tire, I took everything out of the milk crate, unbolted it from the rack, flipped it over, and lifted the bike up on it. The DR200 seems to have about the right ground clearance for something like that. I used the milk crate as the basis for a modular luggage system, with other bags and boxes that can be attached and removed fro the back and sides of it, depending on how much carrying capacity is needed.

As for the Ninjas, they are a no go for me. I had both an '07 250 and an '09 500. I even put bar risers on the 500. It still put to much weight on my wrists and shoulders, and hurt my neck from having to bend it back so far to see where I was going. The bars needed to be at least 3" higher. Same issue with the pegs. To high and to far back. I have a 34" inseam, and my legs were all scrunched up underneath me. I almost dropped the 500 once, I almost came to a stop, and was about to put my feet down, when I discovered my legs had become completely numb. I quickly took off again, got my feet off the pegs, and moved my legs around enough to get the feeling back. I put less than 4,000 miles on the 500 in 3 years, most of it in pain, and finally gave up and sold it.

My current 2 street bikes are a Vulcan 750 (a cruiser with high bars and forward pegs) and a Goldwing 1200, with about the same riding position. I need to have most of my weight on the seat. Yes, I do have some medical issues.

I have raised the bars on the XT 2", the pegs are way more forward than the Ninja's, and with the seat being a lot higher, there is a lot more room between the pegs and the seat so my legs aren't bent up nearly so bad. And even though I have never carried a passenger (bike is just to small, considering my size) I left the passenger pegs on it, so I can move my feet from the front pegs to the rear pegs and back again to avoid leg cramps on longer trips,

I did own a '03 Honda 750 Nighthawk for a few months, and found it way more comfortable than the Ninjas. It is what I would call a standard. Also had a CB350, KZ400, and KZ650 many years (decades actually) ago, and I don't remember them being uncomfortable.

The me the idea that a bike has to be capable of well over 100 miles per hour to ride on the freeway is bordering on ridiculous. I have been riding small bikes on freeways well under the speed limit for decades. I have made trips from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego and back many times on I-8 on my XT225, 150cc scooters, and a few other small bikes, doing 55 mph when the speed limit is 75 most of the way. You have to look at the situation, not just the speed limit. I-8 is a mostly deserted road and what traffic there is is mostly semi trucks. Just stay in the right lane, and be aware of what is going on around you. People have crossed the country many times on bicycles, mopeds, and small scooters with no problems at all. Where you really need to watch out is on urban freeways around major cities, where traffic can be going 75 mph bumper to bumper in all lanes. That I tend to avoid altogether. If traffic suddenly slows down, and the texting idiot behind you doesn't see it, you are going to get hit. There are rear end collisions every day on the freeways around Phoenix.

JerryH screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 11:52 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #6608
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Your points are cogent and extremely well presented. I concur 100 percent.

Spud
Yes, indeed, very well said. Thanks, tshelver. And thank you to the others who added to it.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #6609
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,899
I drove old VW's until recently and I may have often been in the way as I bumbled along with my head in a dream state and my long hair flowing out the window blocking my view behind me,I may not look like it but I can pass a drug test,and no one ever ran me over,cut my hair and got me a 1988 Corolla now,it's fast too,movin on up!Back to the subject at hand.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #6610
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

The me the idea that a bike has to be capable of well over 100 miles per hour to ride on the freeway is bordering on ridiculous. I have been riding small bikes on freeways well under the speed limit for decades. I have made trips from Phoenix, AZ to San Diego and back many times on I-8 on my XT225, 150cc scooters, and a few other small bikes, doing 55 mph when the speed limit is 75 most of the way. You have to look at the situation, not just the speed limit. I-8 is a mostly deserted road and what traffic there is is mostly semi trucks. Just stay in the right lane, and be aware of what is going on around you. People have crossed the country many times on bicycles, mopeds, and small scooters with no problems at all. Where you really need to watch out is on urban freeways around major cities, where traffic can be going 75 mph bumper to bumper in all lanes. That I tend to avoid altogether. If traffic suddenly slows down, and the texting idiot behind you doesn't see it, you are going to get hit. There are rear end collisions every day on the freeways around Phoenix.
I agree to an extent (capable of well over 100 MPH), but I am of the opinion that it can definitely be very dangerous. What you describe as dangerous urban highways, in some parts of the country are all that exist - there is no such thing as a deserted freeway in many areas. I'll give an example of a situation that hopefully none of you find yourselves in.

You're on a 2 lane highway where the traffic is doing 80 MPH, downhill, and you have your small bike throttle pinned doing 60 MPH. Traffic is heavy, everybody in the left lane is passing you quickly. A tractor trailer comes up behind you in your lane picking up speed (downhill), and just before it gets to you moves into the left lane in a carefully timed break in the left lane traffic. The tractor trailer behind him doesn't know you were in front of him, and doesn't have time to safely slow enough before running into you. The outcome here would depend on what the driver behind you does. Most likely he will try his best to not run into you, which would surely kill you, and instead will do something which will cause an accident that won't involve you, like swerving into the left lane and hitting traffic that is already in that lane, locking up the brakes, jackknifing, etc. So even though you may not get hurt yourself, or technically be responsible for causing the accident, you really did cause the situation.

Everybody uses their own judgment as to what's too dangerous for them and what isn't, based mostly on experience. Personally, I would never attempt to use a bike that can't comfortably maintain 75 MPH with something in reserve on a congested highway, which is pretty much the only kind of highway there is where I am. I'm more than happy to spend a little extra time and use the winding 2 lane to get wherever I need to be. Safer and more fun.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #6611
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,752
In the above scenario, I would be watching my rear-view mirrors and simply move right to the shoulder. Easy to keep a close watch on the rear-view mirrors the few times I find myself on such roads.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #6612
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
In the above scenario, I would be watching my rear-view mirrors and simply move right to the shoulder. Easy to keep a close watch on the rear-view mirrors the few times I find myself on such roads.
Mirrors,turnouts,and shoulders are the answer,I operate many large and varied types of machinery on 2 lane roads,and you just move over as often as needed and safe to do so,I drive my cars and motorcycles the same way,I often think people feel that if they are not part of the crowd screaming along trying to maintain their position something will happen,it drives my wife crazy when I let people pass.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #6613
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 274
What he said

I did a trip on my KLX250 of about 1400 miles on Interstates in Arizona and highways in Mexico where most of the traffic was doing 75-85 MPH...... I did watch my mirrors almost constantly. In USA, with multi lanes, no problems at all. In Mexico, on 2 lane with high speed traffic, I kept to right side and held a tight line. I was passed many times with oncoming traffic. Scary at first, but I realized no one wants to hit you...... I also wear a hi-viz jacket. 250s are the bike of choice in many countries, and drivers adapt.

I'd ride my 250 anywhere, except most of my riding buddies are on big bikes.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #6614
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Not so fast.
There could be an obstruction in the shoulder, or the shoulder could be closed for construction, which is very common here (can be miles of Jersey Barriers at a time). That part is purely circumstantial, I think odds are that the shoulder would be clear, but it does up the risk some amount.
Even if the shoulder is clear, there are laws in eastern states (good or bad, it doesn't really matter), that you must move into the left lane when a vehicle is in the breakdown lane/shoulder on a highway. That would cause people trying to get around you to start slamming on their brakes and trying to move over as they passed by you, which increases the chances of causing an accident - again, maybe not for you, but for those around you.

I have seen many situations, most times while I was in a car, where a vehicle going far slower than the majority of traffic nearly caused an accident. Not that anyone here falls in this category, but many people who believe they are very safe and cautious drivers because they drive defensively have really only escaped accidents because offensive drivers purposely avoided them. Of course if you point this out to them they vehemently object. My point here is that much depends on your point of view, and the scope of what you include. Whatever you feel about your own safety traveling significantly slower than traffic, I would say emphatically that you are increasing the risk of an accident for those around you because you are forcing them to deal with a situation that they weren't expecting - again, I'm applying this to congested highways, not wide-open spaces. I'm not telling anyone what to do or how they should live, only pointing out something anyone may not be considering, and this is definitely dependent on your location. I can understand why most people on the east coast wouldn't feel comfortable on a small bike on the highway.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #6615
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
Not so fast.
There could be an obstruction in the shoulder, or the shoulder could be closed for construction, which is very common here (can be miles of Jersey Barriers at a time). That part is purely circumstantial, I think odds are that the shoulder would be clear, but it does up the risk some amount.
Even if the shoulder is clear, there are laws in eastern states (good or bad, it doesn't really matter), that you must move into the left lane when a vehicle is in the breakdown lane/shoulder on a highway. That would cause people trying to get around you to start slamming on their brakes and trying to move over as they passed by you, which increases the chances of causing an accident - again, maybe not for you, but for those around you.

I have seen many situations, most times while I was in a car, where a vehicle going far slower than the majority of traffic nearly caused an accident. Not that anyone here falls in this category, but many people who believe they are very safe and cautious drivers because they drive defensively have really only escaped accidents because offensive drivers purposely avoided them. Of course if you point this out to them they vehemently object. My point here is that much depends on your point of view, and the scope of what you include. Whatever you feel about your own safety traveling significantly slower than traffic, I would say emphatically that you are increasing the risk of an accident for those around you because you are forcing them to deal with a situation that they weren't expecting - again, I'm applying this to congested highways, not wide-open spaces. I'm not telling anyone what to do or how they should live, only pointing out something anyone may not be considering, and this is definitely dependent on your location. I can understand why most people on the east coast wouldn't feel comfortable on a small bike on the highway.
In my experience, there isn't any real problem with maintaining a slower speed than surrounding traffic as long as one has a shoulder to move off to on a majority of highways in the nation. I've ridden the eastern highways you mention and would simply avoid them.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote