Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #6661
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Hard bags can have a noticeable effect, on my GS in the region of 10% at highway speed.

Topboxes are very convenient, but can noticeably impair handling.

Hard bags: I absolute love mine, but I do loose MPG and I can tell they are hang on when I am at highway speeds.

Topbox: I sold mine due to the adverse handling characteristics it caused. Great for storage, ruined my stability.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #6662
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Hard bags: I absolute love mine, but I do loose MPG and I can tell they are hang on when I am at highway speeds.

Topbox: I sold mine due to the adverse handling characteristics it caused. Great for storage, ruined my stability.
On this trip - I didn't notice much difference with the E55 top case - except for more resistance in high headwinds at highway speeds. No handling issues either. Then again - I was typically riding at 62 mph or so - so not very fast. I only carried my sleeping bag and air mattress in the case, along with my rain gear. That's it. So the load was quite light too. What is interesting is that I found I could carry considerably MORE with my Ortlieb tailbag (from last year's trip) than with the E55 Maxia on this trip (even though the E55 is supposed to offer more room). The E55 doesn't use space as efficiently as the Ortlieb. But it is much more convenient to use.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 07:38 AM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #6663
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry31 View Post
...My favorite part is the ride shown in this video.
Enjoy…. http://youtu.be/PnOh51Nf90c

+1

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #6664
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
On this trip - I didn't notice much difference with the E55 top case - except for more resistance in high headwinds at highway speeds. No handling issues either. Then again - I was typically riding at 62 mph or so - so not very fast. I only carried my sleeping bag and air mattress in the case, along with my rain gear. That's it. So the load was quite light too. What is interesting is that I found I could carry considerably MORE with my Ortlieb tailbag (from last year's trip) than with the E55 Maxia on this trip (even though the E55 is supposed to offer more room). The E55 doesn't use space as efficiently as the Ortlieb. But it is much more convenient to use.

Mike

Funny, I did the same thing. I use a dry bag and its much more efficient. just takes a little longer rot get in and out of.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #6665
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
I got a ride on a friends xt225 and could not believe how easy it was to ride, and how much fun it was.

I have a TU250 for the street, I just need to come up with asmall light dual sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
Had a nice Suzuki DR200 traded in at work the other day. After several of us bigger guys riding it we all agreed it was a hoot. I decided to make a video of me a 250lbs, 5'10" guy riding one off road. So if your a bigger guy and looking at a DR200 I think this gives you a pretty good idea how it will work for you. The little DR200 is now our favorite bike to run errands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P5aKgrRWhU
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #6666
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,706
I have an XT225, and a new one, set up properly, would definitely be my choice for long distance riding. Mine has 30,000 miles on it, and while it has been seriously over maintained, a lot of those miles were either off road or on dirt roads. Don't know if I would trust it to ride across the country on or not. I do not care for any of the newer liquid cooled fuel injected 250s, the DR200 would be my likely choice for a small touring bike. And you can still get one new. I fit fine on the XT, the DR should be about the same size, but wit less displacement, it would likely also have less power. One neat thing about the XT225 is it's load carrying capacity. It's almost 400 pounds. Does anyone know what the load capacity is on a DR200? It would be shown in the owners manual.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #6667
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,844
The owner's manual lists the GVWR as 650 pounds.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #6668
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
The owner's manual lists the GVWR as 650 pounds.

Great, thanks. With a wet weight of about 280 pounds, that still leaves 370 pounds for the rider, gear, and cargo. Sounds like plenty.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #6669
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,844
You can tour okay on a DR200. Strong headwinds or hills completely knock you down, though. But if you bend instead of break under adverse conditions, it's fine.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #6670
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
O well... It would seem I couldn't be with out a 250 dual sport.. Sold my
XR250 tornado a few months ago....
So I just bought a used 06 Yamaha TTR250 with 10,500k on it..
Its got about the same power as the XR , but is quite a bit lighter
265lbs wet.. The XR250 Tornado seems a lot more refind than
the TTR...

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 09:48 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #6671
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Might be lighter but it sure looks BIGGER^
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #6672
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by djvx View Post
Might be lighter but it sure looks BIGGER^
What ever are you on about

yer was a tad on the large side..sorted
Old 07-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #6673
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Talking Just got back!

Hi all, I thought I'd post a few pictures of my latest adventure on the XT250. Total miles were about 1000. The first leg was Las Vegas - Death Valley - Mammoth Lakes - Lake Tahoe - Reno. We did our best to stay off the 395 to get up there. The main reason for the trip was to go backpacking in Yosemite with my siblings and a couple friends. There is always an excuse for a road trip though! The ride back was well... less fun. Straight through Nevada since I was on a time constraint to get home, but a fantastic trip on the little 250. I used Dirtbagz brackets and Ranger bags with my 65L backpacking bag and some home made straps and buckles. I wouldn't have to bring so much stuff but I had to self sustain for 5 days in the wilderness. My fuel consumption ranged from 56-73 mpg depending on weight, wind, and hills. Low 60s seemed normal for running on open slab.

Filling up in Death Valley

My buddy filling up his pig with a nice shot of gas prices in the middle of nowhere.

Made it to Mammoth Lakes!

Camping at Minaret Falls for the night. No bears to be heard, smelt or seen.

The Devil's Postpile! Pretty cool lava!

Minaret Falls!

Zephyr Cove, Lake Tahoe

In case you weren't sure...

Our first day in Yosemite was the 8.5 mile hike to the top of El Capitan. Celebratory beers were in order. Hey look, Half Dome!

Camp for the night looking toward Fresno. Ever pitch a tent on a giant slab of granite? No use for stakes, just throw a couple slabs on the corners.

The crew lugging it off the top of El Cap and onward to Yosemite Falls.

The sis and myself at the top of Eagle Peak. (The best view of Yosemite. Shh...)

Why we go backpacking in the first place. The reward.

That John Muir was a wise fellow.

"Hey, I was just up there!"

R&R at Donner Lake after getting back from Yosemite.

The bike dies on the way back to Vegas. 10 miles north of Beatty while 109F. I got rescued by a generous stranger with a truck who saw me pushing the bike to Beatty.

If it wasn't for my smart phone and google I wouldn't know what the code meant. It was a code for a coil failure! Well, I need a tow... Checked the wire on the coil and it had vibrated loose while screamin down the highway. Plugged it back in and was good to go!
Strapping Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #6674
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Lad View Post
Hi all, I thought I'd post a few pictures of my latest adventure on the XT250. Total miles were about 1000. The first leg was Las Vegas - Death Valley - Mammoth Lakes - Lake Tahoe - Reno. We did our best to stay off the 395 to get up there. The main reason for the trip was to go backpacking in Yosemite with my siblings and a couple friends. There is always an excuse for a road trip though! The ride back was well... less fun. Straight through Nevada since I was on a time constraint to get home, but a fantastic trip on the little 250. I used Dirtbagz brackets and Ranger bags with my 65L backpacking bag and some home made straps and buckles. I wouldn't have to bring so much stuff but I had to self sustain for 5 days in the wilderness. My fuel consumption ranged from 56-73 mpg depending on weight, wind, and hills. Low 60s seemed normal for running on open slab.

The bike dies on the way back to Vegas. 10 miles north of Beatty while 109F. I got rescued by a generous stranger with a truck who saw me pushing the bike to Beatty.

If it wasn't for my smart phone and google I wouldn't know what the code meant. It was a code for a coil failure! Well, I need a tow... Checked the wire on the coil and it had vibrated loose while screamin down the highway. Plugged it back in and was good to go!
Great pix's. You got a talent for composition. Ever think of making a slide show, and posting it on You Tube?

Lucky it was only loose wire. Getting parts might be more difficult.

larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #6675
Shooplick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
seat cover

strapping lad what seat cover is on your xt? how well does it work?
Shooplick is offline   Reply With Quote