ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #6676
ballpeen

Oddometer: 472
Three days and 1200 back-road miles to BYOB on the WR250R (w/ SM wheel-set) with just the Pelican case and a backpack.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #6677
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 963
Good routs for touring the lower 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When planning a ride on my KLR or BMW I would often find a few spots I wanted to hit and punch it into the GPS and see where it took me. Every now and again I would have a particular section of road I wanted to ride but otherwise I just took the direct route.

With my 250 I'll spend weeks pouring over google earth trying to connect County Roads, Forest Service Routes, Frontage Roads, Jeep Trails, Two Track, etc into a coherent route to get from point A to point B in the most interesting fashion possible. It's turning into quite the addiction and I am seeing how these TAT, Tour of Idaho, etc trails come into being. You want to get from point A to point B on dirt. You do it. Then see if you can get to point C. And then point D. Before you know it you've crossed a state.
Greetings,
I was trying to hunt down some good routes for a DR200se this late December. The trek would last until the next summer.

I'd leave from Southwestern VA and ride into the south. I'm trying to even avoid 55mph zones.
I thought about taking a non motor bike route, and found this website.http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...tem/usbrs-101/

Does anyone have any experince with these routes? Do they go off road road for a spell, and if so, would the DR200 be allowed to hit these trails?

I'd like to get into FL for the coldest part of winter, and skirt the gulf states and stay in the south of Texas unitl early spring.

The Mightly DR seems tempting, but if:
1. You do not have time restraints, you do not need to go fast the vast majority of time.

2. the 200 has a better fuel economy and range.

3. the 200 is 88lbs lighter than the DR650.

__
I agree, it is really fun to look over maps and plan routes.

Thanks for reading.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #6678
The_Precious_Juice
Green Horn

Oddometer: 963
Google map gets the damn job done

Yeah, with the nice features of google maps, your operational questions are taken care of.

I put in a non motor bike route, and google maps is coming up with some good stuff. It is great to drag and drop the yellow man on the road and see what the type of speeds look like?

This would be an easy way to hand rail to towns/trails/state parks you want to go to!

got to take full advantage of the DR200 strenth's and avoid her faults (high speeds.)
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #6679
Strapping Lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Cool2 Seat cover/ pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooplick View Post
strapping lad what seat cover is on your xt? how well does it work?
I picked it up at wal-mart for $20. They advertise it as an ATV cover. It is fairly comfortable for me, but I would need a break after more than a couple hours. Your tolerance may vary. Sure beats the stock seat though.

As far as pictures go. I have over 300 I took for this trip and could easily put together a slide show on my photobucket account for all to enjoy. It may take some time to sort through the pictures I want to use.
Strapping Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #6680
bidda444
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Thanks Rhompin-
The DR250 runs sweet at 55 - 60 and I'm not so comfortable above that - the crosswinds tend to move it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Bidda444 I like your dr. I got one a year ago and wanted to convert it to be street legal (not the s version) but shortly after I bought a tu250 and never finished it. I ride 26 miles one way to work on highway 70 mph have you had it at that speed or any one else for that matter know how they do at that speed? I wouldn't be riding it every day just on occasion. Also mine is a 1990 so it's just 2 valves I understand they went to 4 later on, And the horse bumped up a little.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #6681
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Incredibly scenic photos and nice trip report Strapping Lad!!

Mike
Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #6682
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
You can tour okay on a DR200. Strong headwinds or hills completely knock you down, though. But if you bend instead of break under adverse conditions, it's fine.

Nice Klay. That's what it's all about.

Mike
Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #6683
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post

http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...tem/usbrs-101/

Does anyone have any experince with these routes? Do they go off road road for a spell, and if so, would the DR200 be allowed to hit these trails?
__
I agree, it is really fun to look over maps and plan routes.

Thanks for reading.
I rode the east coast route on loaded bicycle from Philly to Williamsburg a couple years ago. The route was nearly all backroads with a few bike paths that should be easy to route around with GPS for motoring.

Sent from mobile
Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #6684
JayGoldstein
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
You can tour okay on a DR200. Strong headwinds or hills completely knock you down, though. But if you bend instead of break under adverse conditions, it's fine.

Great photos. Where were they taken?

JayGoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #6685
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
Great photos. Where were they taken?

I ran out to the badlands of western North Dakota on my 200 back in 2007. (I'm in southern Minnesota) What a lovely trip. I ought to head out on the 200 again.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #6686
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Ride report in progress. Four days on the Trans-East Trail - South (TetS) starts here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post21788845

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 05:38 AM
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #6687
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
So I was hanging around at the Honda dealer on Saturday as usual. Trying to help them sell some of the 250's and 500's that are piling up. I understand these new world bikes a little better than the salesman that work there and usually have pretty good luck engaging window shoppers on the concept. It's been a really bad year for motorcycle sales in the North East USA. We had a very cold spring and June was full of destructive thunder storms and flooding. They have seven CBR250R's and three CBR500R's in stock. I am surprised that they have only sold one 500R so far. I really thought that bike would be a sell out this year. The Kawi dealer has only sold one Ninja300 and has three sitting on the floor. I though this bike would be a sell out as well. Suzuki yanked his franchise as a part of their restructuring agreement.
A couple teen age guys were shopping dirt bikes back and forth from one side of the store to the other so I rolled the CBR500R out of line and sat down on it to get their attention. The next time they passed, the one kid mumbles "Look at these pus*y bikes" pointing at the Repsol CBR250R on the end.
I wanted to ask him what street bike he rode. Which is undoubtedly none. They were dressed in polo shirts but driving an old pick up truck. But I didn't want to start an argument and blow the sale of the dirt bike.
Honda is doing their part with "I just want to ride" banner adds everywhere and even has television spots going for the 250 and the 500's. What more can we do in the USA to change the mindset that anything less than a super sport or 1800cc chopper is a pus*y bike? These kids would rather have nothing than to ride a nice CBR250R that they can afford.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #6688
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
It's funny I hear it all the time "when you gonna get a bigger bike?" When I explain the my KLR650 is as big as Im getting and the next 1 will be smaller than its always the why?I sent a link to a buddy of mine the other day and it was Big Dog's WR250 page I mentioned that most of the big bike people we know only ride a limited amount of miles a year on their BIG BIKES,so I guess 1000cc or more does not always mean your actually going to really ride,their choice!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #6689
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Sendler:

Yup...you hit the nail on the head....the fixation on a big displacement 2 wheeled phallic symbol, that has a high probability of killing an unskilled rider.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #6690
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Besides if I was into sport bikes wow that CBR500 is a nice machine.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote