Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #6721
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLENNIUM FALCON View Post
i really like your bar gaurds/rack. what is it called? where can i get one?
XR125..........CTX125 farm bike version...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #6722
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
I am an unabashed lifelong minimalist.
In addition to moto exploring I backpack,
practice and teach primitive skills, campcraft, self defense and emergency care (former urban-wilderness paramedic).

I used to ride a DR350 but am currently
daily driving a Super Sherpa and I love it ! Just rolled over 17k miles.

For minimalist exploring throughout the southern Highlands I use a hammock set up.
My 11' gathered end hammock, structural ridgeline, whoopie slings /tree straps suspension ( soon trying out UCRs), underquilt and separate bug net are all DIY.
I modded a very lightweight, inexpensive down sleeping bag in to a top quilt.

With all of the above and a tarp my shelter and sleeping gear totals about 4 pounds and packs down really small.

The Sherpa (and I) appreciate the lighter load and it helps keep my fuel mileage between 75-90 mpg.

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #6723
zeeko
shiver me timbers

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by snare View Post
I am an unabashed lifelong minimalist.

For minimalist exploring throughout the southern Highlands I use a hammock set up.
Nice! I also roll with a hammock setup and people are always questioning its comfort level for sleeping. I have an Eagles Nest, which is tiny, coupled with some rock climbing accessory cord (4mm I think) and then run a line above the hammock with a tent rain fly draped over if necessary. String up the hammock tight, throw in a shorty inflatable thermarest, and I find it to be very comfortable and practical....if you have trees. I have also resorted to using camalots (rock climbing gear) to set it up off of rocks. A friend has a Hennessy hammock which looks pretty slick as well with it's integrated mosquito net and rain fly.
That being said, the ground has never failed me!
zeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #6724
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Thanks Snare,good ideas and cool link.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #6725
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I know they sell that bike in Australia, probably New Zealand too. They're called AG bikes or Agriculture bikes. Usually have a bunch of brush guards and racks. Dual side stands, left and right side, center stands and a clutch lock. Allows you to keep bike in gear and hop off to open and close paddock gates. Yamaha has one too, think it's call the bushman or something like that.

Quote:
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #6726
klous-1
RTW on a 125cc

Oddometer: 201
I was just reading the thread for ideas for future bike choice, but thought that maybe - and not wanting to spam - you guys would like to check out :

www.talesfromthesaddle.com

Travelling the world on a Honda XR125 and before that a Yamaha YBR125.

Or an ADV thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640985

klous-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #6727
=SUTTO=
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseun View Post
I know they sell that bike in Australia, probably New Zealand too. They're called AG bikes or Agriculture bikes. Usually have a bunch of brush guards and racks. Dual side stands, left and right side, center stands and a clutch lock. Allows you to keep bike in gear and hop off to open and close paddock gates. Yamaha has one too, think it's call the bushman or something like that.
Nailed it on the head there mate, good reliable bike all round, easy to maintain and great to learn and gain new skills on.

CTX200
=SUTTO= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #6728
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Thanks Snare,good ideas and cool link.
You are welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeko View Post
Nice! I also roll with a hammock setup and people are always questioning its comfort level for sleeping. I have an Eagles Nest, which is tiny, coupled with some rock climbing accessory cord (4mm I think) and then run a line above the hammock with a tent rain fly draped over if necessary. String up the hammock tight, throw in a shorty inflatable thermarest, and I find it to be very comfortable and practical....if you have trees. I have also resorted to using camalots (rock climbing gear) to set it up off of rocks. A friend has a Hennessy hammock which looks pretty slick as well with it's integrated mosquito net and rain fly.
That being said, the ground has never failed me!
Yes. I actually sleep at home on a thin mat on the floor...but there are no rocks or roots and my floor is flat

It is steep and very forested here where i am. It is difficult enough finding any flat spot let alone a comfortable one. Hammocks just make sense here. And many of the small, cottage hammock gear vendors are from this area. Your ENO is from a company right here in Asheville, NC.

If you haven't tried a decent, well set-up hammock,find a person or attend a 'hang' and try em out. Hangs are often organized on hammockforums.net

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #6729
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBryan View Post
I know what you mean... Seems every used GZ I see advertised only has a few hundred miles a year.. Good for ME though I got this one in the Fall of 09 after a left turner took care of my other one.. This one a 2006 only had 344 miles on it when I bought it.. I'd say that was a shame but worked out good for me..LOL
Mine [08] had 900 miles when purchased. Now has 6k, drive to work and use as a mini tourer, [Givi 660 Windshield,and 30L Top Case, Tourmaster side bags, works great. Also had local shop mod the seat for more comfort, gets great mileage and I enjoy the trips. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #6730
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by klous-1 View Post
I was just reading the thread for ideas for future bike choice, but thought that maybe - and not wanting to spam - you guys would like to check out :

www.talesfromthesaddle.com

Travelling the world on a Honda XR125 and before that a Yamaha YBR125.

Or an ADV thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640985

Nice trip on such a small bike (small for the normal standards)

Right now I'm continuing with the process of making my Tornado a little more "tourable". In December/January (Summer holidays here in the south hemisphere) I made a rear rack with a relative, and I put on some velcro straps down the seat in order to hold a sheep skin that I cured some time before that..
Now that we are in July (Winter holidays), I ordered a digital tachometer, and a windshield. I'm also working in a bashplate (keeping the stock one) I think it's going to be made out of 3 steel, nickel or the metal I can get, 'cause it is just for stopping the rocks that can hit the lower part of the engine... And last but not least, I'm thinking of adding a tool tube in the place where the little box is (the same on the old XRs, NXs, etc)

Pics later! eheh!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #6731
OBryan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Cool2 GZ's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
Mine [08] had 900 miles when purchased. Now has 6k, drive to work and use as a mini tourer, [Givi 660 Windshield,and 30L Top Case, Tourmaster side bags, works great. Also had local shop mod the seat for more comfort, gets great mileage and I enjoy the trips. CMS
Niiiiiiice... I find mine to be a great little short touring bike.. Love mine but I gotta do something about that seat also.. A couple hours and I'm more then ready for time off it..Got some leather saddle bags and for the top came up with a wire basket out of old hardware store...Works great.. Took the pad off the sissy bar, cut a row out underneath the basket and slid it on.. Just some zip ties to keep it from bouncing plus a small cargo net and I am good to pack up.. Hears a picture from last fall.. Out on what at the time was a possible planned 2 night camping trip to watch vintage moto-cross. Cut it a day short with storms moving in but had a great time and had it averaging around 65 mpg.
OBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #6732
klous-1
RTW on a 125cc

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Nice trip on such a small bike (small for the normal standards)

Right now I'm continuing with the process of making my Tornado a little more "tourable". In December/January (Summer holidays here in the south hemisphere) I made a rear rack with a relative, and I put on some velcro straps down the seat in order to hold a sheep skin that I cured some time before that..
Now that we are in July (Winter holidays), I ordered a digital tachometer, and a windshield. I'm also working in a bashplate (keeping the stock one) I think it's going to be made out of 3 steel, nickel or the metal I can get, 'cause it is just for stopping the rocks that can hit the lower part of the engine... And last but not least, I'm thinking of adding a tool tube in the place where the little box is (the same on the old XRs, NXs, etc)

Pics later! eheh!
Nice! The Tornado was really popular down those parts and I sometimes wished I'd had the cash to get the extra hp myself!

I'd put my tool tube on the front as you can see, just to move a bit of weight forward and low down, but it's not much weight.

I cased both bikes and never made a mark on the motor so haven't ever felt the need for the bash plate.....but I use engine bars to protect the pedals....

A wind-shield will sure help in Patagonia!! As might a set of hot grips actually, maybe something to look into? Will keep an eye out for pics, suerte!
klous-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #6733
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,777
After months of research...

I've decidied the little dr (DR200se) is the right bike for a North American tirp ( for about 7 months or so).

It takes the seat height of a 2011+ G650GS (31.5" BMW vs 31.9")

It takes the ground clearance of the Mighty DR (10.4" vs 10.2")

It comes close to the range of the KLR650. close to 300 miles under the best of conditions.

It is 88lbs lighter than the Mighty DR.

It actually has better fuel economy than the NC700X.

It has the 21" tire of the KLR650 and the Mighty DR.

It has the same air cooled very reliable engine of the Mighty DR.

It's $2,200 cheaper than the Mighty DR.

Unlike the other bikes:
No POS battery from the G650GS, or expensive maintenance, engine guards, or hard parts to find.

NO T-bob/ 685 oil burning kit. Granted, the 09+ KLR are much better.

No $300 gas tank the Mighty DR needs.

No $250 seat that the Mighty DR Needs. I'll just put my sleeping bag and tarp on the seat for better comfort and more commanding views.

No 366lb-472lbs bike to push into the tree line or pick up after being tired and such.

__
What do I have to give up?
Top end speed of 100+mph. Will not miss it.

Riding on Interstates. From the research I've done, From VA into FL and then pushing west into N.M., there are plenty of highways (55mph-60mph) zones {but I plan on avoiding these also!} for me to take advantage of.
And if I do need to get on one, I can pick a time when there is less traffic.

Hell, the ALCAN highway in Canda is 100kph. top speed. No problem.

I've read through Jan 2010 to August 2011 of the DR200se forum, and I feel like I could ride on a stock bike! What other bike from the list I just mintioned could do this?
I come from a bicycle back ground and ride quite a bit on a really small thin seat. Plus, like I typed, I'll put plenty of cushion on the bike with my Recon 5 sleeping bag.
I actually plan on taking physical training breaks a couple of times a day and doing Cross Fit. How's that for "stretching your legs."

sure, a wind shield would be fine, but I plan on crusing at a top speed of 45 mph.
Sure, at 5'-8" tall, the ergos will be a little cramped. but again, All I have to do is stop the bike and do a quick 10 min bout of PT. Easy Ride.
Sure, the engine life is well below 50,000 miles, but the bike is for a 7 month adventure, and then to retire in the stable as a commutter. Zombies should be here well before 50,000 miles.

Bungie cords all the way.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 10:51 AM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #6734
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
I've decidied the little dr (DR200se) is the right bike for a North American tirp ( for about 7 months or so).

It comes close to the range of the KLR650. close to 300 miles under the best of conditions.

Unlike the other bikes:
No POS battery from the G650GS, or expensive maintenance, engine guards, or hard parts to find.

No $250 seat that the Mighty DR Needs. I'll just put my sleeping bag and tarp on the seat for better comfort and more commanding views.

No 366lb-472lbs bike to push into the tree line or pick up after being tired and such.

__

Riding on Interstates. From the research I've done, From VA into FL and then pushing west into N.M., there are plenty of highways (55mph-60mph) zones {but I plan on avoiding these also!} for me to take advantage of.

I've read through Jan 2010 to August 2011 of the DR200se forum, and I feel like I could ride on a stock bike! What other bike from the list I just mintioned could do this?
I come from a bicycle back ground and ride quite a bit on a really small thin seat. Plus, like I typed, I'll put plenty of cushion on the bike with my Recon 5 sleeping bag.
I actually plan on taking physical training breaks a couple of times a day and doing Cross Fit. How's that for "stretching your legs."

sure, a wind shield would be fine, but I plan on crusing at a top speed of 45 mph.
Sure, at 5'-8" tall, the ergos will be a little cramped. but again, All I have to do is stop the bike and do a quick 10 min bout of PT. Easy Ride.
Sure, the engine life is well below 50,000 miles, but the bike is for a 7 month adventure, and then to retire in the stable as a commutter. Zombies should be here well before 50,000 miles.

Good plan. I always research before hand. I hate when I buy something, only to find it's not what I thought it would be. Then sell for a loss, and move on. Have a safe trip!

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #6735
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post

Unlike the other bikes:

__

All good except for the bungie cords. You'll lose your gear and put an eye out. Use nylon straps available very cheaply at the hardware store instead.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote