Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #6736
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
here is a good blog by a guy going on and off road from California to New York on his CBR250R.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...imordial-ooze/
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #6737
50short
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Trail 90...the only bike I'll ever need.

This little machine will do it all...albeit slowly. After many years of adventure touring on big displacement GSAs and KLRs, I've decided to get back to my roots. Minimalist touring (at 100MPGs) on a 1970 CT90. Picked up a minty 1970 a couple months ago with 2,000 original miles for $650. After commuting 40/day on it I'm hooked! I'd never considered limiting myself to 40MPH roads, but given the crazy mileage, stupid simplicity, huge capability, and fun factor, I'm going to give weekend camping trips a go! I'm thinking my bicycling tent, mini stove and cook kit, warm weather sleeping bag, food and clothing will fit perfectly on the front and back racks. I'll still have enough room for the 1892 Colt 38 too.

Anybody have tips for a good trail tool kit for this bike? What parts like to break on the trail? How many miles will a well maintained CT engine go?

See you guys on the trail! Next stop,'Aerostich rally.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #6738
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50short View Post
This little machine will do it all...albeit slowly. After many years of adventure touring on big displacement GSAs and KLRs, I've decided to get back to my roots. Minimalist touring (at 100MPGs) on a 1970 CT90. Picked up a minty 1970 a couple months ago with 2,000 original miles for $650. After commuting 40/day on it I'm hooked! I'd never considered limiting myself to 40MPH roads, but given the crazy mileage, stupid simplicity, huge capability, and fun factor, I'm going to give weekend camping trips a go! I'm thinking my bicycling tent, mini stove and cook kit, warm weather sleeping bag, food and clothing will fit perfectly on the front and back racks. I'll still have enough room for the 1892 Colt 38 too.

Anybody have tips for a good trail tool kit for this bike? What parts like to break on the trail? How many miles will a well maintained CT engine go?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #6739
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 788
Quote:

I haven't got anything to add beyond saying that that sounds like a heck of a lot of fun, I'm sure you could fit a camera in your kit for a few pics right?

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #6740
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
This little machine will do it all...albeit slowly.... .
I don't have any experience with the older CT, but have quite a bit with the modern variants, on and offroad.
If you are going to do rough roads loaded, a few spare spokes could be useful, I've broken a few.
Consider carrying basic items like a sparkplug (and wrench).

Weight distribution seems to be more to the back, so consider loading heavier items up front, or between your legs like the locals do here. :-)
Fuel: 100 mpg is good, but considering the limited tank capacity, you may need a bit extra if venturing some of the more remote places.

Toolkit: the link above is very good. I started with a basic toolkit from one of the vendors (Cruztools in my case) and then modified from there. A good idea is to use the toolkit to perform basic maintenance and repair jobs (including changing a tube) before you leave.

Be selective of where and how you ride: these have been ridden around the world and on longer 3rd world trips by several people, but the bike is 40 years old and not as strongly built as some other small capacity machines, one reason why I bought a YBR125G instead of a modern CT.
Also the wheels are a bit smaller than the typical dirt bike, making for a more punishing ride on the rough stuff.
They can go almost anywhere though, easier hand a GS or KLR in the tight and rough stuff. You just need to adjust your riding style and speed.

I'm sure others will chime in with plenty more ideas.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 2
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)

tshelver screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 04:00 PM
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #6741
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=high+mileage+honda+ct90&l=1
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #6742
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
The Honda Trail 90 was my first motorcycle. Mine was the first year of the dual range transmission, and that was a good feature. Man did I have fun on that thing!!Don't tell anyone, but I'm considering a new Sym Symba.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #6743
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
The Honda Trail 90 was my first motorcycle. Mine was the first year of the dual range transmission, and that was a good feature. Man did I have fun on that thing!!Don't tell anyone, but I'm considering a new Sym Symba.

Good move. I was looking at them when I was in Portland a couple years ago. You'd basically have the original Honda with the Symba.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #6744
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

Sounds like a great way to travel. I'm building a CT-90 myself, and hopefully will have it running in just a few more days.
BTW, is that Colt a SAA in .38/40?
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #6745
50short
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Wish it was a SAA, but alas, it's double action in 38 Long Colt. I do have a 1st generation SAA in 45 LC but it's too nice to carry. my addiction to antique Colt's gets me in more trouble than my addiction to bikes.

What year is your CT? You doing any cool mods?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #6746
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,241
Thumb Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
All good except for the bungie cords. You'll lose your gear and put an eye out. Use nylon straps available very cheaply at the hardware store instead.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll write this down for my gear list.

BTW, the DR200se thread is a great read. I still have thousands of post to read/skim over.
__

Lastly, I've been looking into riding in Alaska, and somehwere in WA I'll put on a guard for the headlight. It looks like a lot of motorists (cars) have their windshields cracked all to hell up there.
__
Thanks again.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #6747
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
We just live in a "bigger is better" society. Too much of anything isn't enough. People drive SUVs , want the biggest TV offered, 5000 sf houses are common, and people themselves have gotten HUGE. We want more, more, more.....of everything.

The American mentality is all about consuming more of everything, even beyond what is good for us.

Agreed 100%.

1. From before we can speak, Americans are bombarded with advertisements everywhere telling them the consumerism story, insisting that you are not successful as a human unless you acquire as much as you can. No sale means no tax, and the government certainly wouldn't like that.

2. Most of those on large bikes are big on talk, small on skill. They need the extra power to compensate for lack of skill in order to not be "the last to arrive".

3. Many own their bikes as an object of possession, to impress. The "look at me, look what I have" syndrome (see #1).

4. You need to experience a large bike to know why small bikes are great. This one is valid - you can't know the disadvantages of a large bike until you have / drive one.

Most of those buying the huge, 700 lb. cruisers are in it for a completely different reason than just about everyone on this site. In that respect, it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, but we all cross paths at the dealer. Functional big bikes have their place, but derogatory comments about small bikes from those ignorant about much of motorcycling have no place. Take heart in knowing that if you know the secret about small bikes, your knowledge is evolved further than those that only see value in big bikes.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #6748
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
I like your list of bikes....

When I look back over the years, I put a lot more miles on smaller bikes then the big ones I have had.

My TU has over 18,000 trouble free miles on it now, that is cross country and back 3 times kind of miles.
And its 8000 more miles then the last TWO big bikes got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
Agreed 100%.

1. From before we can speak, Americans are bombarded with advertisements everywhere telling them the consumerism story, insisting that you are not successful as a human unless you acquire as much as you can. No sale means no tax, and the government certainly wouldn't like that.

2. Most of those on large bikes are big on talk, small on skill. They need the extra power to compensate for lack of skill in order to not be "the last to arrive".

3. Many own their bikes as an object of possession, to impress. The "look at me, look what I have" syndrome (see #1).

4. You need to experience a large bike to know why small bikes are great. This one is valid - you can't know the disadvantages of a large bike until you have / drive one.

Most of those buying the huge, 700 lb. cruisers are in it for a completely different reason than just about everyone on this site. In that respect, it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, but we all cross paths at the dealer. Functional big bikes have their place, but derogatory comments about small bikes from those ignorant about much of motorcycling have no place. Take heart in knowing that if you know the secret about small bikes, your knowledge is evolved further than those that only see value in big bikes.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #6749
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
i bought my wr250r 2012 brand new in sept of last year and i just turned over 14,000 miles on it already with no problems
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #6750
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I just finished a 2000 trip on my Yamaha WR250X. I downsized from a SM610 a year ago. The WR is a great bike for traveling, and to me the best choice for a minimalist adventure rider. I also have a KLX351, which I use for more dirt oriented rides.

I did a ride report on the trip. It can be found here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806

Here's a couple of pics:

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote