Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #6751
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
I just finished a 2000 trip on my Yamaha WR250X. I downsized from a SM610 a year ago. The WR is a great bike for traveling, and to me the best choice for a minimalist adventure rider. I also have a KLX351, which I use for more dirt oriented rides.

I did a ride report on the trip. It can be found here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806

Here's a couple of pics:

Looks like a great ride! How does the wr250r compare to the klx351 in the power department? I just picked up a 06 klx250 that I plan on doing the 351 cylinder on.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #6752
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
I just finished a 2000 trip on my Yamaha WR250X.
Nice report jckid. I know this is ADVRider, but it's nice to read a report from someone who doesn't think an adventure requires riding a Paris to Dakar level course at 80 mph, and doing heroic mileage on knarly terrain every day. Nice blend of scenery, nostalgia, family, and relaxing.

Good for you. I hope Alaska happens for you two someday.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #6753
zeeko
shiver me timbers

Oddometer: 62
I like the look/specs on the WR's. If it was possible to get one where I live I would probably swap out the KLX250 for it.

I am definitely a proponent of small bikes-my only transportation is the KLX250. However, my last bike was a 96' 1100GS and although it was an enormous rhinoceros of a bike, after 16 years and almost 70k miles the only thing I had to repair other than routine maintenance was a fuel pump. It left me on the side of the road but I was also able to repair it on the side of the road with the factory tool kit.
I have had to make more repairs on my KLX in 8 months...
zeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #6754
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Using the wr250 is like cheating...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #6755
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Looks like a great ride! How does the wr250r compare to the klx351 in the power department? I just picked up a 06 klx250 that I plan on doing the 351 cylinder on.
I use my KLX351 more for dirt, so I have it slightly lower geared than stock (1 tooth less on the countersprocket) and I run fairly aggressive MT21 tires on the standard dirt size wheels. I put the 351 kit on it, because when I started thinking about downsizing from my SM610, I thought the KLX would be my do it all bike. The 351 kit made a big difference...it pulls hard...feels like a motorcycle now instead of a moped.

When I travel, my trips are usually 95% paved. I did a few shorter trips on the KLX, and I put the stock countersprocket back on for the trips. It was ok, but not that enjoyable on the road. So that's when I started thinking about the WRX. It's set up with stock gearing, which is slightly higher than the WRR (1 tooth in the rear). The wide supermoto rims/tires make it feel much more stable and smooth.

Overall the WR is a more refined bike. It runs smoother, vibrates less, cruises at higher speeds easier, and the fit and finish is far superior to the KLX. I would say powerwise the bikes are about the same with the KLX being a 351, but they each make power differently. You have to rev the WR to get the power out of it. The 351 feels more torquey down low and pulls harder off the bottom, but over 55mph the WR is worlds better.

For me, I like the KLX better in the dirt and the WR better on the road. But that's because I'm a non-aggressive dirt rider and the ability to tractor the KLX works better for me. And because I'm so light, the KLX suspension works better for me off-road. But I think most average size aggressive riders would prefer the WR off-road. On the pavement, the WR is far superior, but part of that may be because of the supermoto setup vs. the dirt setup of the KLX. If I get down to one bike in the future, it will be the WR, yet I still love to ride the KLX with all it's torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Nice report jckid. I know this is ADVRider, but it's nice to read a report from someone who doesn't think an adventure requires riding a Paris to Dakar level course at 80 mph, and doing heroic mileage on knarly terrain every day. Nice blend of scenery, nostalgia, family, and relaxing.

Good for you. I hope Alaska happens for you two someday.
We always plan on no more than 300 miles a day, and prefer about 250. It gives us time to do other things along the way. Some love pounding out the miles, but we are never in a hurry and always take time to smell the roses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Using the wr250 is like cheating...
Kind of! It is a good bike, and has decent power for a 250. I thought when I downsized that it was going to be more challenging traveling on a smaller bike. But really I found it about the same. I only noticed the difference on long steep climbs with a headwind, but I was still able to go faster up the grades than most of the cars and all of the trucks.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #6756
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50short View Post
Wish it was a SAA, but alas, it's double action in 38 Long Colt. I do have a 1st generation SAA in 45 LC but it's too nice to carry. my addiction to antique Colt's gets me in more trouble than my addiction to bikes.

What year is your CT? You doing any cool mods?
Still sounds like a nice revolver. The only antique Colt I have right now is a 1924 Police Positive Special in .38 Special. When I ride, I usually leave that one in the safe and carry a Taurus 85 or Ruger GP100.

My CT is a 1976 frame with a 1970 engine and 1981 XR100 forks, handlebar and front wheel. I just rebuilt the top end of the engine. The carb and footpeg/ kickstand assembly also are from the XR100. The rear wheel is from a CT110 and the sprocket is a dual overlay from a CT200. It's a real junkyard dog. I haven't ridden it yet because I am just finishing the assembly. Hopefully I will take it for its maiden cruise before the end of this month.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #6757
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
I just completed my trip report covering my most recent 4000km camping/touring adventure on my 2011 CBR150R across Ontario in late June. You can find it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901903

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #6758
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I just completed my trip report covering my most recent 4000km camping/touring adventure on my 2011 CBR150R across Ontario in late June. You can find it here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901903

Mike
Nice RR, was the Nemo tent 1 person?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #6759
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Nice RR, was the Nemo tent 1 person?
No It's a 3-person tent. A Nemo Moki. My previous one was a 2-person Nemo Andi. Part of the reason I purchased the Moki was for a little extra room - but mostly for the tall ceiling height. I can sit down on the edge of the cot and change clothes without having to bend my head down!

Mike
Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #6760
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,649
Quote:
No It's a 3-person tent. A Nemo Moki. My previous one was a 2-person Nemo Andi. Part of the reason I purchased the Moki was for a little extra room - but mostly for the tall ceiling height. I can sit down on the edge of the cot and change clothes without having to bend my head down!

Mike

I've decided I need a bigger tent for inclusion in my minimalist kit. My head hits the side of the tent when I'm laying on the cot. That additional space is so useful.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #6761
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I've decided I need a bigger tent for inclusion in my minimalist kit. My head hits the side of the tent when I'm laying on the cot. That additional space is so useful.
Klay - if you come up for Feliz's Fall shindig - you can take a look at my tent. I plan to be there with my setup.

Mike
Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #6762
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,649
Quote:
Klay - if you come up for Feliz's Fall shindig - you can take a look at my tent. I plan to be there with my setup.

Mike

Yes, I was planning to be there. Not sure if I'm riding a bike or trailering the dirt bike.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #6763
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:

Mike
I went with a Nemo Losi 3P. Only a about a lb more than the 2P, and has 50 square feet of floor space,, plus over 20 square feet in the 2 vestibules.

Very good airflow as well, have used it in the tropics

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 2
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #6764
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Maybe this is just my backpacking background, but these words 'cot' and 'minimalist' just don't go together.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #6765
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
A couple of questions (as I'm not having luck searching this thread)

Has anyone done this kind of touring with a two-stroke? In "days gone by" it would seem to be normal, but I'm wondering about figuring out the availability of two-stroke oil.

How about with a KTM, or something without a decent rear-subframe? Obviously weight is something that you have to consider especially with the smaller bikes (pack light) but how small of a load can you get to and still go multi-days, while not staying at the Holiday Inn?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote