User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #6781
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Ride report: Cross country in Canada again on a CBR125

Mike posted another excellent "Minimal Touring" ride report from his annual camping trip around Canada on a CBR125R.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901903
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #6782
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 233
A couple of you have mentioned the sym symba here is a link to a ride the world report I just finished http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979 some one mentioned something along the lines that people keep thinking they need this or that and end up never doing any thing I really need to take that advise. I have a tu250 that I love with just over 12000 miles ( mostly my commute to work) I went camping once with just what I could get in a back pack since I don't have side or top bags yet. I live in Phoenix Arizona and it gets hot here in the summer but a couple hour ride and I can be in the forest and in the winter I can go to the desert. I used to take my jeep out exploring but at 13 mpg I really need to convert to using the bike.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #6783
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Got back from a FSSNOC Thumper Cafe in Jemez Springs, NM. Rode my KLX250S. 822 GPS miles round trip in three days. Fun ride, except for the rain on the way back. Quite cool the whole way.

Around Los Alamos in the burn area the roads were pretty much covered with a nice little layer of mud/ash. Just as I was leaving Los Alamos it started to rain and that stuff got slick in a hurry! The KLX only stepped out a couple of times, only once enough to really scare me. Glad I took it instead of the DR650.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #6784
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
you know my freind jack robinson then i have doughnuts with him every morning here in hutchinson at the daylight doughnut shop i heard about you riding your klx down there last week
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #6785
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
you know my freind jack robinson then i have doughnuts with him every morning here in hutchinson at the daylight doughnut shop i heard about you riding your klx down there last week
Jack, better known to FSSNOCKERS as #000, is a cool dude (For crying out loud, don't tell him I said that! His head is big enough already!). Shows up at the Thumper Cafe on a Repsol CBR250R. Apparently his wife also bought one (hers is the red/white/blue version)! Jack's was one of three that was ridden in from at least as far as eastern KS. I think my 250 had the least mileage for the trip to Jemez Springs of all the 250s there.

Jack, by the way, is not a small guy.

kbuckey screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 01:09 PM
Old 07-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #6786
viper770
Studly Adventurer

yes true i used to be a fssnocer my self but i have not renewed my mebership but its alot better than the s40 he used to have we used to tease hime and tell him it was a girls bike jack would some times refer to me as rowdy
last year just to get on his nerveres i showed up at the kamiah idaho rally on a triumph 800xc three cylinders in stead of a thumper
Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #6787
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Laugh

the 3rd from the last pic is jack with his grimy little hands on my wr250r and the last one is mark and jack and me and another guy at the doughnut shop oh and motor mike we are there pretty much there every morning in the first pic you can see my triumph 800xc i thought it was funny to show up on three cylinders in stead of one but that was a awsome rally that was in 2012
Old 07-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #6788
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
yes true i used to be a fssnocer my self but i have not renewed my mebership but its alot better than the s40 he used to have we used to tease hime and tell him it was a girls bike jack would some times refer to me as rowdy
last year just to get on his nerveres i showed up at the kamiah idaho rally on a triumph 800xc three cylinders in stead of a thumper
I do remember the Trumpet at the Idaho Cafe.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #6789
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 373
A lil' pic a mate took of me in sunday's ride

Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #6790
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
I recently finished a 5-day ride through Idaho's Magruder Corridor on my 2006 Zongshen 200GY-2. With 59,000 miles on the odometer, my Zong has never run better.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #6791
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,139
Well done
Zong's Rock!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #6792
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 391
I just finished all 454 pages! I think my little bikes will fit in this thread, even though they're smaller than most of the 200cc+ big bikes here!

I've started to build a Trail 90/Lifan Frankenbike out of a bunch of misc. parts. (I'll be posting a build thread in Some Assembly Required soon.)
The main reason that I'm building instead of buying is the cost. I can't just throw thousands down on a new or used bike right now.

By building, I'll basically have a new bike at a fraction of the cost, plus I'm buying parts cheap as I have the money to spend, and as I find good deals.
(Plus, I manage to find parts for my other projects too! I just bought some XL600 forks for less than $50, that are going to go on my 73 Sportster DS/Scrambler conversion.)

I bought the engine and frame last year, and have spent the past year finding all kinds of parts and pieces that may, or may not work for the build.

The engine is a 140cc Lifan that I picked up on ebay for $249, and the frame is a 1966 CT200 that I got for around $40. The rest of the pieces are from various makes, models and years, and I haven't even started buying stuff from Dr. ATV yet!

My other little bike project will be based around an old XR100 engine I have sitting in my shed. I am thinking about going ultra-light with it, similar to the FX Bikes, but I'll make it up as I go along. I had thought of doing that kind of build with a Chinese engine, but the prices have gone up so much, plus the parts availability made me think twice. I know the XR100 has a cult-like following, and there are tons of aftermarket parts out there. I had even looked at going with Marzocchi DH Mountain Bike forks, but those prices are insane!
I can get real motorcycle forks for less than 10% of that!

Anyway, being a cheap bastage is a different topic!

I haven't done any real small bike touring yet, but I have done a lot of minimalistic stuff, like hiking, wilderness survival, bicycle touring, and camping with my old CT70 when I was younger.

My wife and I have also been discussing our minimalist sailing trip: 2 adults, 2 dogs, 2 years on a 22' sailboat.

Anyway, that's my intro to the minimalist thread!

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #6793
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Cowboy View Post

My wife and I have also been discussing our minimalist sailing trip: 2 adults, 2 dogs, 2 years on a 22' sailboat.

Anyway, that's my intro to the minimalist thread!

Where do the dogs shit on a boat at sea?

I think I'd have to add a few feet of boat, and subtract a couple of dogs. (and maybe swap the wife for a college gal or two!!)
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #6794
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Where do the dogs shit on a boat at sea?

I think I'd have to add a few feet of boat, and subtract a couple of dogs. (and maybe swap the wife for a college gal or two!!)
They're trained to go on the fake grass mat, plus we're not going to be crossing oceans on just a 2 year trip. There will be plenty of shore leave!

The boat is what I have, and it's strong and cheap to keep going. That's less to spend on the boat, more to live on while going, and cheaper to get started. (There's that cheap bastage thing again! )

My wife and I have been married for over 25 years now, and I don't feel like training another one right now!

I did a little more work on the CT today, and took a few pictures, so I guess I should start a build report soon.

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #6795
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Cowboy View Post
They're trained to go on the fake grass mat, plus we're not going to be crossing oceans on just a 2 year trip. There will be plenty of shore leave!

The boat is what I have, and it's strong and cheap to keep going. That's less to spend on the boat, more to live on while going, and cheaper to get started. (There's that cheap bastage thing again! )

Father in law has a 45' Island Packet that seems cramped to this land lubber, can't imagine 22' for days at sea. Kudos.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote