Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #796
Ms. Chiff
just a little

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
They just look at a 250 and completely discount it as an adventure/touring bike. I'm willing to bet the smaller size was an advantage more often than it was a disadvantage. Get to work on your ride report, we wanna see!
It is almost always an advantage. Wind is the only disadvantage I can think of.

I needed a bike I could pick up solo in almost any situation, that would comfortably cruise at highway speeds (85mph top [per speedo] & 70mph all day, fully loaded), and go almost anywhere.

That's my Sherpa.

With a bit more power and suspension, that bike would seriously kick ass... for me. Size so does matter.

Right. Ride report. On it.
Ms. Chiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:42 AM   #797
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeker43

i think you bypassed "minimalist touring" about 50# ago.

For me MT'ing is about unsupported touring/overlanding on small motorcycles.

In this part of the world you don't walk 5-10 miles for help or pull out your cell phone. You would be surprised how pared down my kit is.

For example:

Bike support; bike cover, 2 qts oil and 1 filter for 2 over the road changes, tire irons, 2 tube repair kits, tire pump, set of control levers, spark plug, clutch cable, master link, chain lube, 2-1 gal fuel cans, and basic tool kit.

Travel support; Garmin GPS w/ paper backup of route in road and topo form (n of N Bay), french dictionary, am-fm-shortwave radio, and camera.

Rider support: riding gear, basic first aid and personal care kits, clothing, sandals w/neoprene socks, raingear and overboots

Camp support; tent, ground cover, bivvy bag (for impromptu camps ) and s. bag, thermarest, lighting (bicycle headlight (Cateye) and tailight) with spare batteries, binocs, 2-water filtration units (hand pump and gravity), and camp stove w/bottle.

Food; combination of freeze dried, MREs, and nutrition bars enough to cover trip. Will pick up fruit once over border. Intent is for quick easy meals because in bear country it is better to not cook and camp in same place.

steve gs screwed with this post 08-23-2007 at 04:53 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 AM   #798
BruceC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Chiff
The bags I used worked fine and cost me a $20 donation to Baldy, but were a major pain. I'm wondering what bags people are using on these small bikes and who makes the mounting systems.

Thanks
Ms Chiff,

I have a drz250 in Australia where they are registerable. I'm using Andy Strapz throwover expedition panniers and one of his Abagz across the back of the seat. The latter takes my tent and a few other odds 'n' sods. I find this gives me enough carrying capacity for at least a week or more.

These items are rugged!!!

I made up a mounting system from steel rod. Because the weight of the panniers is taken by the seat this doesn't have to be particularly strong. You should be able to get most welders to make something for you.

Now, where's the bloody ride report????

BruceC
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #799
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Chiff
Idaho too.

The bags I used worked fine and cost me a $20 donation to Baldy, but were a major pain. I'm wondering what bags people are using on these small bikes and who makes the mounting systems.

Also, I need to change the seal on the countershaft sprocket. Anyone know if there's anything tricky to it?

And has anyone stiffened the front suspension on a Sherpa?

Thanks
Check out the Rucksack Saddlebag thread in Equipment if you haven't already. I made a set of bags for less than $20 and they work great, no rack required.The advantage of using backpacks/rucksacks is that you can get them cheap, they are available as big or small as you like, and they almost always have multiple pockets for organizing your gear.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #800
Kaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Yes with my full touring setup.
Jeez, Steve, that's a beautiful little rig.

Thanks for the pic.

Kaler
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #801
Kaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
I have been dumped by my computer 4 times before I could get that pic posted.

On a departure date there is good news, good news, and OK news. I took in a big job Saturday that will delay my departure by about 1-1.5 wks. The best part is that this job was the one that could possibly compress my trip window to a week. Doing it before hand gives me the chance to be a little more open ended on my return. The only concern is that it will push me into the latter half of Sept when anything can happen. Also it opens the door further in taking the 200.
Sounds exciting, especially the "anthing can happen" part. I sense you're prepared for just about anything though.

Feeling more than a little envy over here.

Kaler
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #802
GregPoole
Gnarly Coot

Oddometer: 347
Replacement handlebars

Just got my wife a new DR200SE since she just passed the MSF. It's such a fun bike, she hasn't had a chance to get it away from me...

I've got the MSR hand protector bars to add to the handlebars but just found out the handlebars are either solid or there is a solid end so I can't install the protectors as they require hollow bar ends. Guess I'll just have to replace the bars. I've got the stocker from the KLR650, but would rather get something like Pro Taper or Renthal.

Anyone replaced their DR200 bars with these? If so, which bend do you have? I'd like to keep close to the stock bend or maybe go higher so it's easier to stand up.
GregPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #803
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
SteveGS, I hope you packed tools and a top end for the poor Suzook. That little Briggs and Stratton is gonna need it! Just kiddin. It'll probably be running longer than most. That is a creative packing job! I have 2 KTMs and an old beat up XR 250 that's been raced 3 yrs in GNCC, made miles of trail, been DSd, borrowed, gone through a teenager as his spare bike, and still runs. The frame is so worn out, you can give the bike a shake, and the whole frame moves back and forth. When the KTMs break, the XR still runs. I've had a DR 250 and a 350. Same thing, you just can't break the motors.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #804
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
2006 QLink X-Ranger 200

Picked this up last week on ebay for $810. Retail is close to $2500. What a deal. It's a 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200 rebadged and sold through the Taiwianese company QLink as the X-Ranger 200. What a great bike. I could easily tour on this thing. It needs a little more power and a more highway friendly set of sprockets and a 520 chain. All on the way. The bodywork is simply matte black painted plastic. Scratch or break it, just take the panel off fix it and repaint. Nice and easy! Just added Moose Racing handlebars and Scotts grips. For the money I couldn't say no. It needs bags and a Trail Tech Vapor, a GPS unit and I'm set. I'll start off by just commuting to work and back 50 miles a day.

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #805
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,743
A street-legal two-stroke? Let us know how it holds up.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #806
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas
SteveGS, I hope you packed tools and a top end for the poor Suzook. That little Briggs and Stratton is gonna need it

I've had a DR 250 and a 350. Same thing, you just can't break the motors.

Yeah, a friend of mine calls the B & S engines broken and scattered.

I would have considered taking my DR350SE or 250 but Happy Trails is so far behind that they said they would not have time to make pannier racks for non-current models until Nov.

Getting the 250 ready for next year will be my winter project.

BTW, in case it may be of interest the DR200SE uses the same size rims (width) as my DR250/350SE's.

Here's another pic of my 200.
Attached Images

steve gs screwed with this post 08-25-2007 at 02:18 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #807
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
P{osted by: KlayA street-legal two-stroke? Let us know how it holds up.
No, it's a 4-stroke 200cc. That's just a heat sheild over the exhaust header. The engine is a clone of a Yamaha or Suzuki I forget. I'll report here or I may start a separate thread on it. The dualsporting of my Yamaha TT-R250 is now on hold until winter.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #808
thumperdust
BRRRRAAAAPPP!!!

Oddometer: 39
I would keep one eye on that swing arm....

I would keep one eye on that swing arm, other than that it sounds like the most fun you could have with 810 buck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
Picked this up last week on ebay for $810. Retail is close to $2500. What a deal. It's a 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200 rebadged and sold through the Taiwianese company QLink as the X-Ranger 200. What a great bike. I could easily tour on this thing. It needs a little more power and a more highway friendly set of sprockets and a 520 chain. All on the way. The bodywork is simply matte black painted plastic. Scratch or break it, just take the panel off fix it and repaint. Nice and easy! Just added Moose Racing handlebars and Scotts grips. For the money I couldn't say no. It needs bags and a Trail Tech Vapor, a GPS unit and I'm set. I'll start off by just commuting to work and back 50 miles a day.

thumperdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:57 AM   #809
GS Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Ms Chiff

I used 20wt oil in the forks on my sherpa. I m about 200lbs. The 20wt really helped get rid of that mushy fealing.

Nutin worse than a mushy front end.

I may try progresive springs when I wear the factory ones out. Any body try the progresives on a sherpa yet?
GS Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #810
Bad Company
Don't call me Shirley

Oddometer: 1,289
I'm officially on board here with a TW200.

$1500. 3000 miles in great shape. There are a few places out here i'm aprehensive about taking the KLR650, including a dry crick bed, but this'll prolly get the job done.