Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #841
Kaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Have you ever been on Nipissing Trail between Sequin Falls and Magnetawan?
Yes, highly recommended.

You can stay on it further north too. (Maybe you have other plans, though, once you get to Magnetewan ...)

I find the Nipissing Trail a fun ride as far north as Rye, where you can veer east and then north on Rye Rd (also dirt road) into the vicinity of Commanda.

(The section of Nipissing Trail between Rye and Commanda is a definite no-go, as you prolly already know.)

Other backroads (keeping you in the area west of Hwy 11) will take you all the way to North Bay.

You lucky bugger!

Kaler
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #842
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Letchworth State Park minimalist tour

Last weekend my wife and I took a tour of the "Grand Canyon of the East". It is aptly named. Start at the North end of the park at Mt Morris, NY; plenty of access and parking. Our two bikes (Kymco 150 and KLR250) totalled less than one cylinder of most road bikes seen that day; which is to say ...plenty.

The views from the Northern half of the 17 mile perimeter road were amazing: this is typical.

While hanging over the edge of a 500 foot cliff I found a nest of 6 foot wingspan vultures on the side of the cliff. Their wingspan is so large they can't land parallel to the cliff wall, so they make their approach directly INTO the wall face. They flare and land on a 8 in outcropping without crashing into the wall.....and I thought a carrier deck was a tough approach. RESPECT !

As you ride South the road gets curvier and the Gennesseo River gets wilder. Soon the Lower Falls emerge

The Middle Falls are the next stop

The upper Falls (not shown) were the final stop before camping. The total ride was about 140 miles with a side trip or two to some of the lesser Finger Lakes. If you get the opportunity to pass through this region I HIGHLY recommend it !
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #843
Kaler
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, the 200 is going.

I think I can get to North Bay without using 11. From there till I get to 624 near Heaslip I'll need 11, wish me luck.
Yeah, I do wish you luck on that stretch of #11.
I guess early morning, around dawn, might be the time to tackle it, if that can be arranged.

On the positive, think how relieved you'll feel once it's done. You'll be SO psyched to be heading northeast to the JBR from there!

Kaler
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #844
Kaler
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound
Last weekend my wife and I took a tour of the "Grand Canyon of the East". It is aptly named. Start at the North end of the park at Mt Morris, NY; plenty of access and parking.
This one goes on the hope-to-do list. (It's only about 250 mi. away, too.)

Love the report and pics.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #845
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
The total ride was about 140 miles with a side trip or two to some of the lesser Finger Lakes. If you get the opportunity to pass through this region I HIGHLY recommend it !
Nice! I might have found a ride for my Spring/early Summer vacation next year. Might not be MT'ing it though (since I don't have a MT bike yet), but perhaps bare-bones.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #846
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,072
Someone in ride reports did a writeup on this area recently. There is a park called Letchworth State Park and a place to stay called the Glen Iris Inn. Looks pretty neat, like a place my wife would like. We may travel to Corning, NY on business, so the park would be right on the way.

http://www.glenirisinn.com/
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #847
turbocity tom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
XT 225 Alaska Trip

Trip Aug 20-25, 2007

We just got back from our Alaska adventure on the XT 225. The XT is a very capable touring bike. We covered 908 miles in 5 days and had a great time. The weather was typical Alaska; it would be bright and sunny for a couple of miles and then rain the next couple. The XT handled everything with ease. Our riding gear kept us comfortable and the equipment installed on the bike work flawlessly. We were able to carry everything we needed for the 5 days on the road with us.

Day 1 Anchorage to Talkeetna 137 miles

This was up the Glenn Hwy. We did a side trip on the Old Glenn Hwy and got lost in the Palmer/Wasilla area. Finally got to the Parks Hwy headed north. Rained at the beginning of the ride but cleared as the day progressed. Easy ride with big views when you could see past the tall trees. Stayed at the Susitina River Lodge. Very nice and comfortable. The town of Talkeetna is a “tourist trap”.

Day 2 Talkeetna to Gracious House (on Denali Hwy) 189 miles/ 326 Total

Continued up the Parks Hwy to Cantwell where we then entered the Denali Hwy. This dirt hwy is where the XT really worked well. It is not a difficult ride but the road is full of potholes and was muddy in some places. It was cloudy most of the day but did not rain much until after we had finish the days ride. Stayed at the Gracious House Lodge which was about 50 miles in along the dirt hwy. This is a very peaceful/ rustic place to stay. Very friendly owners that try hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Day 3 Gracious House to Tangle River Inn. 176 mile/ 502 Total

Continued on the Denali Hwy. it is only 66 miles between the Gracious House and the Tangle River Inn. We decided to ride past the inn and explore the Richardson Hwy north thru the Isabel Pass. The Alaska pipeline and many glaciers were visible along the ride. He weather held still cloudy but little rain. The clouds tended to block the mighty views of the surrounding mountains. Rode back to the Tangle River Inn. Very nice/ cozy little cabins. Great food, poor service.

Day 4 Tangle River Inn to Copper Center Lodge 198 miles/ 698 Total

Traveled the Richardson Hwy to Copper Center. This was only about 108 miles so we elected to go to McCarthy which included 60 miles of dirt/gravel road (one way). The weather in the morning was some of the best. Very clear but somewhat colder. That didn’t last long. The further south we went, the rainier and colder it got. We never made it to McCarthy as it was really turning ugly. This was the worst part of the trip. Our riding gear worked very good but the constant rain and cold was wearing us down. We returned to the Copper Center Lodge to find no heat in our room. Finally after a couple of hour, they got the heat going and we where able to dry out some of our gear. The food and the service was very good at their restaurant.

Day 5 Copper Center to Anchorage 210 miles/ 908 Total

Returned to the Glenn Hwy to return to Anchorage. This was the best day for the weather. Very brief rain and the clearing warm skies. We enjoyed the vast views and took our time in getting back to Anchorage. We stopped at the Matansku Glacier. You can drive almost right to the face of the glacier. As we neared Anchorage, the traffic became very heavy. The Alaska state fair had started in Palmer (40 miles north of Anchorage).
With the nice weather, all the other motorcycles were out in great numbers( mostly Harleys).

We had a great trip and would like to thank all the people at Alaska Rider Tours. Originally we were going to ship our bikes up and back. The cost came out to around $700.00-$800.00 per bike each way. We rented the bikes for far less and they allowed us to outfit the bikes with our equipment.

The XT really surprised me in the way that it handled the load and the distance. It got great gas mileage but with the small fuel capacity was limited to around 100-110 miles between gas stops.

We are looking forward to doing it again.

I am working on a slide show presentation that I will post a link to as soon as I have finished.

The pictures and the words do not do justice to the experience of the ride. If you have ever wanted to do something like this, DON’T WAIT. It was the best vacation I have ever been on.

Thanks Tom
turbocity tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #848
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler
Yes, highly recommended.

You can stay on it further north too. (Maybe you have other plans, though, once you get to Magnetewan ...)

I find the Nipissing Trail a fun ride as far north as Rye, where you can veer east and then north on Rye Rd (also dirt road) into the vicinity of Commanda.

(The section of Nipissing Trail between Rye and Commanda is a definite no-go, as you prolly already know.)

Other backroads (keeping you in the area west of Hwy 11) will take you all the way to North Bay.

You lucky bugger!

Kaler

You have it right.

I should have rewritten my post because I was considering an overnight at Restoule PP and running the route like you said doing that east zig between Rye and Commanda. Is that park okay.

Looks like I'll have to do about 25 km on 400 to get me from Waubaushene to 38 that will take me east to Bala. From there I'll wander through Muskoka Lakes to Rousseau, to Orrville, to Nipissing Trail just north of Sequin Falls, and then the rest as already mentioned.

Appreciate any comments you might have.

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #849
DavidW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Tom.
Thanks for the trip report and pictures. Looks like it was a great time. I'll look forward to the slide show pics too. Need I ask who made the nice looking tail rack system?
:-)

btw- by coincidence today I had an interesting conversation during lunch with a young lady I've known for several years who is from Alaska. She had not been home for a visit for 30 years and is partly of native decent. One of the highlights of her visit is that she was permitted to go on a seal hunt, still conducted in the old traditional way by the people of her village. Something that was never permitted for females when she lived there.

Anyway, I've never been there but it would I think be something worth doing.

best regards,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocity tom
Trip Aug 20-25, 2007 We just got back from our Alaska adventure on the XT 225. The XT is a very capable touring bike. We covered 908 miles in 5 days and had a great time. The weather was typical Alaska... If you have ever wanted to do something like this, DON’T WAIT. It was the best vacation I have ever been on
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #850
LBS Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Last weekend my wife and I took a tour of the "Grand Canyon of the East". It is aptly named. Start at the North end of the park at Mt Morris, NY; plenty of access and parking. Our two bikes (Kymco 150 and KLR250) totalled less than one cylinder of most road bikes seen that day; which is to say ...plenty.

The views from the Northern half of the 17 mile perimeter road were amazing: this is typical.

While hanging over the edge of a 500 foot cliff I found a nest of 6 foot wingspan vultures on the side of the cliff. Their wingspan is so large they can't land parallel to the cliff wall, so they make their approach directly INTO the wall face. They flare and land on a 8 in outcropping without crashing into the wall.....and I thought a carrier deck was a tough approach. RESPECT !

As you ride South the road gets curvier and the Gennesseo River gets wilder. Soon the Lower Falls emerge

The Middle Falls are the next stop

The upper Falls (not shown) were the final stop before camping. The total ride was about 140 miles with a side trip or two to some of the lesser Finger Lakes. If you get the opportunity to pass through this region I HIGHLY recommend it !
Sometimes I forget how beautifull Letchworth is. I used to go there every year for family camping!
LBS Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #851
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
Hey SamM, lets see some pics of your mount all loaded up! that rack of your's sure looks like it's gonna work out .... just wish it had some saddlebag protection bars on it of some sort .... and yeah, my seat is quite cut down a bit ..... but I am giving thought to making a new steel lowered subframe for touring ..... kinda borrowed the idea from the euro sidecar racer guys as they make complete new frames for their rigs ..... a subframe should be much easier ..... and I can add some comfort under my butt too!

and guess I forgot to "subscribe" to this thread when I posted, kinda fell behind some ..... and just glanced thru all the "definitions" parts to catch up .... and wow, is that 200 set up or what? my goal is to tour around as offroad as possible, then find an enduro event, ride it, then carry on ...... might even have this plan about to happen late sept-er-ish or so .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
spidennis,
Nice bike! Here's my TAT bike. My 2005 Yamaha WR250F was traded in on the same model year TT-R250. I just like the TT-R250 better but that's me. The 6-speed transmission just makes it a very nice motorcycle for combined highway/offroad use. Anyway, get the cyclerack as soon as you can. Mark & Don are great guys and the racks are very nice. Mine fits great and will haul more weight than the bike can carry. I have almost everything to finish plating my TT-R. I'll probably wait for winter and tear the bike apart so I can do it right.

SamM

List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #852
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocity tom
Trip Aug 20-25, 2007

We just got back from our Alaska adventure on the XT 225. The XT is a very capable touring bike. We covered 908 miles in 5 days and had a great time. The weather was typical Alaska; it would be bright and sunny for a couple of miles and then rain the next couple. The XT handled everything with ease. Our riding gear kept us comfortable and the equipment installed on the bike work flawlessly. We were able to carry everything we needed for the 5 days on the road with us.

Day 1 Anchorage to Talkeetna 137 miles

This was up the Glenn Hwy. We did a side trip on the Old Glenn Hwy and got lost in the Palmer/Wasilla area. Finally got to the Parks Hwy headed north. Rained at the beginning of the ride but cleared as the day progressed. Easy ride with big views when you could see past the tall trees. Stayed at the Susitina River Lodge. Very nice and comfortable. The town of Talkeetna is a “tourist trap”.

Day 2 Talkeetna to Gracious House (on Denali Hwy) 189 miles/ 326 Total

Continued up the Parks Hwy to Cantwell where we then entered the Denali Hwy. This dirt hwy is where the XT really worked well. It is not a difficult ride but the road is full of potholes and was muddy in some places. It was cloudy most of the day but did not rain much until after we had finish the days ride. Stayed at the Gracious House Lodge which was about 50 miles in along the dirt hwy. This is a very peaceful/ rustic place to stay. Very friendly owners that try hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Day 3 Gracious House to Tangle River Inn. 176 mile/ 502 Total

Continued on the Denali Hwy. it is only 66 miles between the Gracious House and the Tangle River Inn. We decided to ride past the inn and explore the Richardson Hwy north thru the Isabel Pass. The Alaska pipeline and many glaciers were visible along the ride. He weather held still cloudy but little rain. The clouds tended to block the mighty views of the surrounding mountains. Rode back to the Tangle River Inn. Very nice/ cozy little cabins. Great food, poor service.

Day 4 Tangle River Inn to Copper Center Lodge 198 miles/ 698 Total

Traveled the Richardson Hwy to Copper Center. This was only about 108 miles so we elected to go to McCarthy which included 60 miles of dirt/gravel road (one way). The weather in the morning was some of the best. Very clear but somewhat colder. That didn’t last long. The further south we went, the rainier and colder it got. We never made it to McCarthy as it was really turning ugly. This was the worst part of the trip. Our riding gear worked very good but the constant rain and cold was wearing us down. We returned to the Copper Center Lodge to find no heat in our room. Finally after a couple of hour, they got the heat going and we where able to dry out some of our gear. The food and the service was very good at their restaurant.

Day 5 Copper Center to Anchorage 210 miles/ 908 Total

Returned to the Glenn Hwy to return to Anchorage. This was the best day for the weather. Very brief rain and the clearing warm skies. We enjoyed the vast views and took our time in getting back to Anchorage. We stopped at the Matansku Glacier. You can drive almost right to the face of the glacier. As we neared Anchorage, the traffic became very heavy. The Alaska state fair had started in Palmer (40 miles north of Anchorage).
With the nice weather, all the other motorcycles were out in great numbers( mostly Harleys).

We had a great trip and would like to thank all the people at Alaska Rider Tours. Originally we were going to ship our bikes up and back. The cost came out to around $700.00-$800.00 per bike each way. We rented the bikes for far less and they allowed us to outfit the bikes with our equipment.

The XT really surprised me in the way that it handled the load and the distance. It got great gas mileage but with the small fuel capacity was limited to around 100-110 miles between gas stops.

We are looking forward to doing it again.

I am working on a slide show presentation that I will post a link to as soon as I have finished.

The pictures and the words do not do justice to the experience of the ride. If you have ever wanted to do something like this, DON’T WAIT. It was the best vacation I have ever been on.

Thanks Tom
Too cool!!! More, more, more!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #853
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
spidennis,
I haven't got the bike plated yet, so there aren't any pictures of it loaded up. My plan is to use Kolpin fuel carrier racks and Kolpin fuel and water cans mounted on the rack, as shown in the picture below. With these I can carry 6.25 gallons of fuel on the bike and 1.25 gals. of water for camping. The rack will probably get a couple of waterproof Wolfman Expedition bags and that's it. Cycleracks.com also makes a rack for the WR250F. You may want to check them out.

I still need to add a few things to complete the dualsporting of the TT-R. This will be done sometime this winter as I am in no hurry. I looked at the WR as a lightweight adventure bike and actually had one, but I liked the 6-speed transmission in the TT-R too much to pass up. My WR250F was traded in on the TT-R250 back in April. I looked at the Yamaha XT225 but it didn't seem big enough for what I wanted to do. The TT-R250 is perfect!

The bottom picture shows my new QLink X-Ranger, which believe it or not is a chinese clone of the TW200. It's a great little bike!

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:21 AM   #854
Kaler
Adventurer

Quote:
You have it right.

I should have rewritten my post because I was considering an overnight at Restoule PP and running the route like you said doing that east zig between Rye and Commanda. Is that park okay.
I've never stayed at Restoule Prov. Pk. You'll have to tell me what it's like.

[/quote]Looks like I'll have to do about 25 km on 400 to get me from Waubaushene to 38 that will take me east to Bala. From there I'll wander through Muskoka Lakes to Rousseau, to Orrville, to Nipissing Trail just north of Sequin Falls, and then the rest as already mentioned. [/quote]

There's a more MT-friendly route north into Bala, starting at Severn Bridge on County Rd. 13.
Even though Severn Bridge is right on Hwy 11, you don't have to take #11 to get there. (Lots of backroads in the area west of the #11 corridor between Barrie and Orillia.)

I don't know what routes you're taking to get to Waubaushene, but I suggest not going there, rather take sideroads east to Severn Bridge and head north on #13 to Southwood, Torrance (stop at the weird but cool Torrance Barrens right on #13) and then into Bala.

This stretch of #13 is popular with motorcyclists, as it gets quite twisty.
It will be the little DR200's chance to be giant-killer as the big-bike posers get passed by the pipsqueak MT! Yahaha.

Kaler
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 AM   #855
Kaler
Adventurer

Quote:
Appreciate any comments you might have
Steve, those backroads/sideroads I keep mentioning, but not naming, are clearly laid out in MapArt's "Ontario Road Atlas", available at any Canadian Tire store.

Or maybe you already have 'em on GPS ...

Kaler