ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #121
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer
 
TheOtherBart's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: DeKalb County, Illinois
Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
Well, I was assuming you had a rear rack to start with. There's a few racks available for the 225. I use the Load Lord sold by the site owner at www.xt225.com

A trip to the plumbing dept. at the hardware store will get some metal pipe clamps.. -then it's just some bolts, nuts (use lock washers or Nylock nuts) and you're there.

Chip
Sweet! I'm not the guy with the 225, and I do have a rack on my XR. Looks like I have a trip to Menard's in my future. I even have some PVC pipe from an old project knocking around the apartment, probably just need fittings.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #122
entropysedge
chaos watcher
 
entropysedge's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: just outside of chaos
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
Well, I was assuming you had a rear rack to start with. There's a few racks available for the 225. I use the Load Lord sold by the site owner at www.xt225.com

A trip to the plumbing dept. at the hardware store will get some metal pipe clamps.. -then it's just some bolts, nuts (use lock washers or Nylock nuts) and you're there.

Chip
well I do have the Load Lord rack on my XT225 ... do you have any photos of your set up?
__________________
a Cajun deep in the heart of NC

A photograph is the past standing still in the present
entropysedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #123
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
steve gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorville, Michigan
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Been thinking about maybe trying to gin up an Eastern gathering mid-late September(have a lot of time to think as there is over a foot of snow today with more to come--BLIZZARD!).
West Virginia looks like a good location.
I plan to do some scouting in the Cannan Valley/Dolly Sods area on the way home from the Eastern rally in Hot Springs, NC this May.
Just something to "sink your teeth into".


I'm running the James Bay Road (check it out with a search) right after Labor Day for a week or so after which I would be open. Depending on who speaks up and would be interested in attending an eastern rally will determine where (WV, NC (BRP),PA, NY(Adirondacks),or KY?). Or we could raid one of the Adv Rider rallies.


Despite the fact that I have a 250 Ninja I would opt for the thumper because of the more relaxed leg angle and more comfortable riding position. Never found the vibration to be an issue. Speaking of the the two DR's I own, neither has balanced wheels. Both are scheduled to be reshod this year and I will balance the wheels.


steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #124
T125
Slightly Overdressed
 
T125's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Indianapolis IN
Oddometer: 278
Thumb

Steve:

1. I've read about the JBR quite a bit. Wow! What a great trip...are you going to do it on the 200? How will you carry extra gas?

2. Re: your pannier post here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=150
Is all the attachment work you did necessary, i.e. does Happy Trails just sell you racks and boxes and leave the attaching to the buyer?

Best,
Jeff

PS: I would be very interested in whatever Minimalist Touring hootenanny we could put together...
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #125
MartinDKtm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MartinDKtm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Baie-Comeau,Quebec, Canada
Oddometer: 222
Can't beleive that none of you still ride or posted yet on the king of them all. The one that started a few generations of rider and if they could talk they would tell a dumpload of fantastic adventure ride...The mighty Ct70. Here's a picture of mine in Sm tire setup. It's a 1984 with only 5200 original km's. All stock brutal power execpt for the gianelli pipe. Bought it 10 years ago with only 1078km on the clock. I still take it out a few times in the summer around town. Yes it's still plated. It draws lots of attention from other, in fact more than my 640 Ktm and lots of questions and memories.



Martin
Attached Images
 
__________________
Offroad? Is where everythings begin!
MartinDKtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #126
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Strongsville, OH
Oddometer: 679
Got my MT bike today....

Picked up the DR200 today for Amim Sahib (She Who Must Be Obeyed..)

It's in great shape: now to proceed with the traditional "tearing apart and rebuilding". Damn shame it's 12 degrees in my garage..... Seems like every time I get a new bike I just can't wait to tear it all apart. Some type of compulsive disorder no doubt; closely akin to Multiple Bike Syndrome.

I should have it up to 'my' standards be the time the snow melts.

An MT rally in WVa........yeah.....that might be a player !
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #127
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
steve gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorville, Michigan
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by T125
Steve:

1. I've read about the JBR quite a bit. Wow! What a great trip...are you going to do it on the 200? How will you carry extra gas?

2. Re: your pannier post here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=150
Is all the attachment work you did necessary, i.e. does Happy Trails just sell you racks and boxes and leave the attaching to the buyer?

Best,
Jeff

PS: I would be very interested in whatever Minimalist Touring hootenanny we could put together...

Jeff;

Yes, it will be on my 200 unless my work schedule closes the window.

If anybody else is interested I would not have a problem with company. I originally planned a solo trip leaving the day after labor day. September is the best window between the summer bugs and snow. You have to be prepared for both. I cruise at about 42-45 mph. I had riding buddies interested until I told them I was riding my 200 and not my bigger bikes. You should have seen the looks I received.


I can pull almost 300 miles before reserve so making the fuel stops won't be a problem. I will carry 2 of the one pint Sig fuel bottles with fuel for stove and emergency reserve. I am considering bringing a 1 gallon fuel container in case the weather patterns are nasty and I have to "hole up" or "fight it out" but not sure as of now.



The most difficult part of the trip is the approximate 900 miles from home to the beginning of the JBR. There are bigger bikes I could take to reduce the travel time but I really want to take the 200. My reasons are it's lightweight, economy, it's fully rigged (as are my others), and I just plain like the bike.



Regarding the panniers:

Mounting the racks are no real problem but box fitting to the racks can be done by owner or Happy Trails (I think?). My boxes had already been fitted to my F650GSD by me because I prefer a level box as opposed to a raked setup. In checking layout to the 200 the boxes I had were close enough to get by with by adding a minor elongation of the thumbscrew holes (upper) and then it was a done deal. As I have already mentioned I am very happy with the result.

If you have any questions post or PM me.


Steve


steve gs screwed with this post 02-17-2007 at 09:06 PM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #128
QWERTY
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 8
Don't sell the TW200 short. I have made a couple overnights in temps down to freezing, preparing for the TAT this summer. Stock, the bike will haul my 250 pounds of lard 68mph, more with a tailwind, less with a headwind. Changed from 14-50 to 15-47 sprockets, no change in street performance except a lot less shifting. With stock gearing 1st gear is useless on the street. Vibration now begins at 66mph instead of 55. The big tires pump the load capacity up to nearly 400 pounds, a major factor for fat people like me.

Biggest problem I've had is warming it up--it hates the cold. It won't run over 50mph when the temps are below 20*F. Maybe carb icing? Backing the idle mixture screw out 2 full turns, raising the needle, and one size bigger main jet helped with cold starts and quicker warm-ups.
QWERTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #129
DoctorQuest
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 1
Dual Sport racks

I'm new to this site. I saw a post from someone seeking a rack for their dual sport.

check out
http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/promoto/racks_yam.htm

I bought a pro motto billet rack for my Yam xt225 (2006). Very nice looking, easy to install and very handy. Quality is first rate.
DoctorQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #130
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker
 
Old_Lion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Whiskey Pint, NY
Oddometer: 3,116
Making cheapo rear racks for the XT225

Check this link for an inexpensive rack for the XT225:

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/xt225_racks/

Plenty of pictures.

The ride reports of this lady rider are entertaining.
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/...stn_parkfield/
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #131
Burtonridr
Wanderlost
 
Burtonridr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,717
My TW200

Here is my 97 TW200


Like the new gas can? It holds 3.2 gallons, my range is now about 330 miles... and yea thats my 6x5 rack in the background .... and a wasp trap(no simpathy for the sierra club, Tree huggin hippies...sorry )





__________________
Have beer, will fly

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #132
T125
Slightly Overdressed
 
T125's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Indianapolis IN
Oddometer: 278
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Jeff;

Yes, it will be on my 200 unless my work schedule closes the window.

If anybody else is interested I would not have a problem with company. I originally planned a solo trip leaving the day after labor day. September is the best window between the summer bugs and snow. You have to be prepared for both. I cruise at about 42-45 mph. I had riding buddies interested until I told them I was riding my 200 and not my bigger bikes. You should have seen the looks I received.


I can pull almost 300 miles before reserve so making the fuel stops won't be a problem. I will carry 2 of the one pint Sig fuel bottles with fuel for stove and emergency reserve. I am considering bringing a 1 gallon fuel container in case the weather patterns are nasty and I have to "hole up" or "fight it out" but not sure as of now.



The most difficult part of the trip is the approximate 900 miles from home to the beginning of the JBR. There are bigger bikes I could take to reduce the travel time but I really want to take the 200. My reasons are it's lightweight, economy, it's fully rigged (as are my others), and I just plain like the bike.



Regarding the panniers:

Mounting the racks are no real problem but box fitting to the racks can be done by owner or Happy Trails (I think?). My boxes had already been fitted to my F650GSD by me because I prefer a level box as opposed to a raked setup. In checking layout to the 200 the boxes I had were close enough to get by with by adding a minor elongation of the thumbscrew holes (upper) and then it was a done deal. As I have already mentioned I am very happy with the result.

If you have any questions post or PM me.


Steve

Awesome, Steve! Best of luck on what sounds like a fantastic trip. I'd love to tag along, but September is always too busy to sneak away for long.

The Sigg bottles are excellent. Maybe you'd consider this for your 1gal.+ storage. It's the most "elegant" solution I've found, largely because it packs flat!
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1

Re: the panniers
Were the thumbscrew holes predrilled or did you have to tap them out?
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #133
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
steve gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorville, Michigan
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by T125
Awesome, Steve! Best of luck on what sounds like a fantastic trip. I'd love to tag along, but September is always too busy to sneak away for long.

The Sigg bottles are excellent. Maybe you'd consider this for your 1gal.+ storage. It's the most "elegant" solution I've found, largely because it packs flat!
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1

Re: the panniers
Were the thumbscrew holes predrilled or did you have to tap them out?
Thanks for the link, had not considered looking at ATV accessory products but it makes sense.


Regarding the panniers:

The racks from Happy Trails (HT) have 8mm inserts fitted in tubing for the thumbscrews that pass through pannier wall into tubing. The lower mount/support is "L" shaped plastic that is (HT) drilled and tapped (8mm) to receive screws from inside of the pannier.


The original (HT) kit for my F650GSD did not utilize SS fasteners. In fitting out I changed to all SS and of the proper length. The DR200SE rack set included SS screws but not SS nuts and washers.


The panniers were NOT drilled from HT because as I mentioned I prefer a level pannier to a raked. I specified at time of order to Not drill panniers. I taped the contact wall and adjusted the position until I had the postion where I wanted it(use clamps), marked, and drilled.



I have fitted 3 sets of panniers; the first one is always the hardest, just take your time.


IMO, there is nothing like a good quality rack system. With hard boxes, moderate loads, and long trips you will have the durability to endure. There is usually enough to deal with anyway and if not, you will enjoy your adventure even more.



steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #134
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas
 
Zapp22's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Tejas Hill Country
Oddometer: 13,672
GREAT thread idea

This is a great thread. Kudos to all of you. I figure it takes a guy with big huevos to ride a demure steed.....

Hey, I am obviously un-knowledgeable about this class. And I don't want to stir dissension just a question that I'm sure will have opinions. But here goes: What is the lightest 250 that is regarded as "bulletproof" AND is built in such a way that you can carry a lot of gear on it?????
To put the question in spec/outline form, the criteria is:
1. Light Weight.....
2. "Bulletproof" according to realuse testimony....
3. Carries a lot of gear [in stock or near-stock form]

thx! I'm subscribing to this one....
__________________
Zapp
"I will not let the White City fall... nor our people fail. - Aragorn
K4 WEESTROM Stealthfighter Black -SOLD - Invisible to Radar, '02 DR650SE SOLD ,'Ole 97' DR650SE My Fave K5 WEESTROM ADVbomber
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #135
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
This is a great thread. Kudos to all of you. I figure it takes a guy with big huevos to ride a demure steed.....

Hey, I am obviously un-knowledgeable about this class. And I don't want to stir dissension just a question that I'm sure will have opinions. But here goes: What is the lightest 250 that is regarded as "bulletproof" AND is built in such a way that you can carry a lot of gear on it?????
To put the question in spec/outline form, the criteria is:
1. Light Weight.....
2. "Bulletproof" according to realuse testimony....
3. Carries a lot of gear [in stock or near-stock form]

thx! I'm subscribing to this one....
Probably a toss up between the Super Sherpa and the XT225 for weight. Both are capable.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014