User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #196
Dazzer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Thanks for the report Eric
you may remember I contacted you to ask a few questions a year ago.

After reading your report,then I dicided to do a solo trip and started to prepair my XR400R so it could be riden from Home in Yorkshire In the UK to the South of Morocco, a 4500 mile round trip

It had to carry all my kit ,and be good on the highway,then be up to doing a 1000 off road mile's once in Morocco.

The bike did not miss a beat , I took in a lot of the trails that your report covered.

So A BIG THANK YOU for you Help .

Dazzer

few pic's for you.

Once again Many Thanks.

Dazzer screwed with this post 02-02-2008 at 04:31 AM
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #197
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer
Thanks for the report Eric
you may remember I contacted you to ask a few questions a year ago.

After reading your report,then I dicided to do a solo trip and started to prepair my XR400R so it could be riden from Home in Yorkshire In the UK to the South of Morocco, a 4500 mile round trip

It had to carry all my kit ,and be good on the highway,then be up to doing a 1000 off road mile's once in Morocco.

The bike did not miss a beat , I took in a lot of the trails that your report covered.

So A BIG THANK YOU for you Help .

Dazzer

Many Thanks.
Hi
On the highway from UK to Morocco , the journey was long, isn't it ?
Congratulation, thanks for the pics, awesome
what was your route ? and when you did it ?

Eric
ERIC DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #198
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Morocco pics don't get much better than this!!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #199
chris660
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks Eric. What a trip it must have been. Ive read it a few times and find something I had not seen before. Awesome diary.

I still roll over and laugh over "my balls are on fire" part. As I told you we r leaving on April 30th.

I owe you a few my Frenchman friend. Thanks.
chris660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #200
patch8
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great report Eric, pics have got me all eager as I am doing the same in a few months. What tyres would you recommend? Being called Patrick also, I do not want the nightmare your'e friend had!! I have to ride through Spain with them on too, so 'deserts' may be out of the question. Dazzer, feel free to chip in too with your suggestions. Bike is an XT600E, pretty lightly loaded. Thanks again.
patch8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #201
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch8
Great report Eric, pics have got me all eager as I am doing the same in a few months. What tyres would you recommend? Being called Patrick also, I do not want the nightmare your'e friend had!! I have to ride through Spain with them on too, so 'deserts' may be out of the question. Dazzer, feel free to chip in too with your suggestions. Bike is an XT600E, pretty lightly loaded. Thanks again.
Why not Michelin Deserts, this tyre is pretty resistant and not so bad on dry road ( not the same on wet road, much more like Holliday on ice ) the first trip I made in Morocco I had Michelin Deserts we rode about 4000km in Morocco and I would say the tyre was worn out for 60%. this time I had Michelin Baja which is less strong and expensive also than Michelin Deserts, but ok for a 400XR, 3000km 60% worn out. I heared that some guy used Pirelli MT21, seems better for road and not so bad for tracks.
Otherwise you can go through Spain with an old tyre and change in south, maybe you could buy it in Algeciras.
If you want some stuff, like maps waypoint etc... don't hesitate
Eric
Old 04-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #202
focallength
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC DN
Select the good tyre

Attachment 107087
nice report, I was wondering what was happenning with this guys tires. It seemed like every other pic was of him changing the tire. Sometimes you Mr. murphy just decides to really stick it to you. Its a good lesson though, if you cant change a tire in the middle of no where, learn how and learn how to do it well. Thanks for the report.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #203
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength
nice report, I was wondering what was happenning with this guys tires. It seemed like every other pic was of him changing the tire. Sometimes you Mr. murphy just decides to really stick it to you. Its a good lesson though, if you cant change a tire in the middle of no where, learn how and learn how to do it well. Thanks for the report.
Yes, but as you can see on the pics : always smiling when dismantling tyre

Eric
Old 06-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #204
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,170
Thumb Wow !!

Excellent report Eric !
Thanks for sharing this with us.
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #205
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Get back to Morocco

The trip in 2006 was so good, that we decided to get back there once again, with a different journey.. [/font]

Same travellers, Patrick and Eric, same bikes, Patrick’s bike having been revamped. ( regarding oil consummation )
Name:  CARTE.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  77.2 KB
Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #206
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday 19th October : Melilla Debdou 250 Km :

Name:  Mell-Deb.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  29.0 KB
We went by car with a trailer from South of France until Almeria in Spain, we took a boat to Melilla a Spanish territory in north Africa.
The boat arrive on time, but the rain has been invited for the party.
As usual the paperwork at the border take time and need to be patient, the contrast between the Spanish part and Moroccan part is knocking, Welcome to Morocco.

We fill in the bikes with gas, get monney to the ATM et go
Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #207
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Name:  CIMG2712.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  126.2 KB
After 5 km my GPS is shutting off, we stop under the rain, I change the wire, hoping that the trouble is due to this
We start on a paved road, all the morning, we ride under the rain, the wind, it’s cold, everything that you don’t expect to find in north Africa..
I was hoping to find our first track after 50 km but wouallou all paved. At noon we stop at Taourirt to eat something in a restaurant, sheep well roasted ( when it’s black it’s cooked ), hoping that the piece you are eating, is not the one you saw lying on the ground when the cooker was cutting the sheep
Old 05-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #208
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Name:  CIMG2711.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  131.5 KB

We planned to stop at Debdou for the night. It’s at 50 km only, so since the rain stopped we decide to try a variant road going East, this is 90 km but we expect to find a track.
Bad idea, we will receive tons of water on the helmet, and no track, but fortunately regarding the weather paved road is not so bad. Before Debdou, I pass a truck just in a middle of a large pool of water, It was like if I knocked a wall of muddy water, I stayed on the bike, I was already wet after 200km under the rain, but it was not funny at all.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #209
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
"It will be quite long.If you don't like, say it"

Dude,,,

Bikes in Morroco, who would not like? And should hell have frozen over last night (nobody told me) and someone on ADV NOT like your thread, well,,,, they can go skiing (if in fact hell did freeze over). Keep it going.

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #210
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coots
"It will be quite long.If you don't like, say it"

Dude,,,

Bikes in Morroco, who would not like? And should hell have frozen over last night (nobody told me) and someone on ADV NOT like your thread, well,,,, they can go skiing (if in fact hell did freeze over). Keep it going.
Thanks