Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #31
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Well, this is not really the better way to cross a dunes erg. Since we are traveling light, I have only one jean and a bike pants. So I decide to wash my bike pants. I return in the shop, ask whether they have a basin and detergent. He sends me to seek that in the WC, I will avoid the description of this place.
I filled the bucket in apnea and come back in the street to do the washing. Washing, drying, re-washing, Re-drying, even so it's stinking of gas, . The third washing I give up, It will go like that. I wear my trousers, it’s a little bit wet, but regarding the heat I have had, it’s not so bad.

The rasta guide is passing while, he is laughing.
Name:  CIMG0118-2.jpg
Views: 3217
Size:  62.1 KB
ERIC DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #32
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We refuel with 5 l gas, as we planed, I buy two bottles of water. Lets go ???

We start on a sandy track, we pass two Toyota, it’s going better than previously. We drive on sandy area, following on a stony reg, again sandy , stony etc…We use the GPS to guide our-self
On an other hand the wind is becoming strong a bit. In the small dunes I fall, it’s not easy to keep the right direction and find the best pass in the same time. The feeling to drive in the sand is coming back, but the bike is loaded, and with the luggage it’s not so easy.

Far from here we can see a sandstorm, we continue on stones, in front of us the sky is becoming dark, I get stuck in the sand. We stop, the weather seems to become bad. I have a look at the map and at the GPS, there is a solution to avoid the erg, heading north towards a track which goes round the erg. We discuss and decide to going out from here.

Name:  CIMG0120.jpg
Views: 3224
Size:  54.7 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #33
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Storm over Chegaga

Name:  CIMG0126.jpg
Views: 3206
Size:  38.7 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #34
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quickly we find the track, the sky above the erg is black. This track is a hell, riding here looks like a pneumatic drill session during 100 km
Before the village of Zaouia Sidi, some guys stop us and require gasoline for the moped, we propose to them to siphon in the tank of Patrick’s bike, during this time behind us we hear the thunder, there is lightning, I do believe we took the good decision.
The guys want to invite us for the tea, but regarding behind us we prefer going a head.
We arrive on the Iriki lake, this is a flat dry lake, because the sandstorm the visibility is less than 50m, hardly we can see the large cairns which borders the track. And then the stony track begin again

20 or 30 km before Foum Zguid we pass a group composed with 7 Jeep Cherokee, we stop and they offer us to drink a fresh beer, why not, they are very well equipped, fridge etc…Further we meet two French guys who are on the road to Dakar, they have BMW overloaded, we discuss few minutes.

‘’ Hé Patrick, on est moulus, hein !!! ‘’
Name:  CIMG0130.jpg
Views: 3213
Size:  129.6 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #35
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We stop in the center of the town, exactly where we had stopped eight years ago with Gégé and Pierre. The shibani ( old man ) which made the skewers (when it is black it is cooked) is deceased, Rachid, his son, is now the owner. We explain him we were here height years ago. He invites us for the evening to have a drink.

There is only one hotel here , Iriki. Touring hostel.
The shower is almost hot, I wash my stuff ( pants, socks scented with leaded super)
We come back at Rachid bar, he serves us whisky, not berber whisky, real whisky, but it’s recommended to add coke and a lot, if you want to swallow it

Name:  CIMG0136.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  81.0 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #36
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Return to the hotel, meal and go to the bed, the day has been exciting
« Hey Patrick, you don’t find that it feels a little the gasoline in the room ?? »
Outside the wind is blowing stronger
Old 02-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #37
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday 28th October Foum Zguid Marrakech 350 Km :
Name:  etape 6.jpg
Views: 3214
Size:  42.7 KB

The wind blew all the night, wake up at 6:00 am, breakfast, we load the bikes and for the third time, activity dismounts tire in the garage, the front wheel of Patrick’s bike is once again flat.
I have to say that he is efficient now, it’s done rapidly. In the garage there is an Honda Transalp which has been fully crumpled in a crash by a german guy on the track few days before.(Without too much injury for him). There are tires Michelin desert on this bike, a short moment we thought to change the tires, we didn’t.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #38
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Departure, the clouds are well fixed on the mountain, we cross Foum Zguid, at the exit of the village the foundation raft for the passage to ford is covered with a thick layer of mud and the oued runs with floods, it is not good forecasts at all. Stop to the gas station, refueling, verification of the oil level.
Name:  CIMG0135.jpg
Views: 3178
Size:  65.8 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #39
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sometime the trip is ending bad

Name:  CIMG0132.jpg
Views: 3440
Size:  66.6 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #40
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We leave, 9 km and we take the track. It curves around a completely dry oued , everything is ok, we are driving cool then suddenly a large hole, catastrophic braking, nevertheless I pass.
I hope Patrick has seen my stylistic device and has been thus warned, I am turned over, and right in the middle of the ditch, a XR on the ground and Patrick sitting close.
I turn and go back, he doesn’t worry, it’s ok.
Name:  CIMG0138.jpg
Views: 3177
Size:  74.2 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #41
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We continue, and arrive in a really splendid valley, with mountains oases, small villages, people very friendly wave us, children everywhere too. Wonderful. Altitude is gained, we approach the clouds, the stony and wet track is very sliding specially with overblowed tires and overloaded bikes, the front wheel wants to live its life on several occasions, we drive carefully.
Name:  CIMG0143.jpg
Views: 3152
Size:  122.2 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #42
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Name:  CIMG0146.jpg
Views: 3131
Size:  29.2 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #43
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are close to the top of the pass, in the clouds, this track is superb in spite of the weather. At the top of the pass there is an extraordinary landscape on the plain and the village of Issil with the storm which threatens, unforgettable
Name:  CIMG0151.jpg
Views: 3141
Size:  31.0 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #44
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are now in the valley, this is quite muddy First ford in Issil, there are traces of truck, the villagers indicate to us where to cross, Patrick launches out first, it’s ok. Quickly, the second ford, it’s not very large, no fear. The following is more wide, water is muddy we don’t see the bottom, once again Patrick engages, without problem
Name:  CIMG0155.jpg
Views: 3143
Size:  54.9 KB
Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #45
ERIC DN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We arrive at a small school, I approach, the teacher goes out, I have some pens that I give him for his pupils. It doesn’t speak well French, but enough to say to us that the track is `' finished `'
It’s not a good news, anyway we go and we will see.
The following ford is wider as the others with strong current. Can we cross or not ??. A local guy explains us we have to wait, Patrick decides to go to probe with foot, the guy precedes him, get out his shoes, go up the legs of his trousers and takes Patrick by the hand for the crossing. In fact there is not too much water except at two places and specially at the exit
Name:  CIMG0159.jpg
Views: 3120
Size:  58.6 KB