ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
NJ-Bill OP
Life is good

Oddometer: 412
Reading Anthracite Riding Area Questions

Given the demise of Paragon, I am contemplating purchasing a permit from Reading Anthracite. Does anyone here have a permit for this riding area? If so, please describe the terrain, parking, crowd, ...etc.

NJ-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
I was thinking the same thing. I have to go pick up a box trailer in Macadoo later this month and will have to take a day off to get it so I was planning on picking up a permit and being a guinea pig. I did a little digging yesterday and all I found on the companies website is http://www.readinganthracite.com/articles/access.pdf
And saw no mention of current price.

Its either that or tower city but tower city is getting expensive so you would have to go up there a few times a month to justify it.

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
thetoecutter
Cutter of Toes

Oddometer: 1,814
call matto. as far as terrain and crowds go...everything you can think of from paragon plus and not much crownding. i have ridden all over that area and not even scratched the surface. there are some many miles of trails up there it is ridiculas. we used to go up and camp,ride and shoot guns. as long as you aren't F'ing up noone will bother you. good times i tells ya

thetoecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,895
Something tells me tower City is going to limit the number of new members. With paragon closing there a A LOT of people now looking at it.
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by willf650
I was thinking the same thing. I have to go pick up a box trailer in Macadoo later this month and will have to take a day off to get it so I was planning on picking up a permit and being a guinea pig. I did a little digging yesterday and all I found on the companies website is http://www.readinganthracite.com/articles/access.pdf
And saw no mention of current price.

Its either that or tower city but tower city is getting expensive so you would have to go up there a few times a month to justify it.
Do bikes have to be licenced and insured? Can I ride my dirt bike there?
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
quietrider
singletrack seeker

Oddometer: 270
I just sent an email to find out how many more permits are left. Toecutter, you were right, it's not far from me so I'm really interested. How many others are in if there's permits left?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 969
I've been a member in the past...I did not renew this year (2007), but my friends renewed two weeks ago.

The terrain is not at rocky as paragon.. The trails are endless...It's well worth it, but the drive out there for me (3hours) just got to be too much...

The majority of riders/permit holders has been 95% atv riders. The parking areas and trails were not at all crowded.

You will need your registration and insurance for your parking vehicles to get the permit...I don't believe the bikes have to be..but I'm not certain...

Readings property is scattered all over the place...it's not like one huge riding tract..and readings maps are not all that helpful...

Just get yourself a good GPS unit, and keep an eye on your gas and you shouldnt have a problem...
Old 02-08-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 667
My partner and I picked up permit numbers 296 and 297 on Tuesday. The woman at the desk, Donna, said that there are 300 left. We used our bike registrations and didn't ask too many questions (she is not too chatty).
No copies of maps are given, just a website to locate their lands:
http://www.co.schuylkill.pa.us/parcelviewer/. As we haven't ridden there before, we'll probably mark up our topo maps and make sure our GPS is working. There may be more info on thumpertalk.com in the east riding thread.
The guys at Mattos are pretty helpful with ideas on where to park. Super shop! They had a street legal 525 and 450 all tarted up and ready to ride w/ aftermarket farkel you would add to make it right.
It was a 2-1/2 hr drive from our place in North Jersey. The northern Pine Barrens are 2 hours from us, so it's a no-brainer for $100.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
I just got my permit today, I got number 512. It's only about 35 miles away for me, so I figured for $100.00 it is well worth the investment for a legal riding area. The only problem is I'm new to the area and really have no idea where the land is. The lady at the desk was no help at all. I will try to do some research to figure out where to go. If anyone has some info, it would be appreciated.

Scott

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
CraigL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133

A Friend and I got permits on Monday. If you go to the Schuykill County website http://www.co.schuylkill.pa.us/
and select the parcell locator, then search by parcel, county=Schuykill, owner=Reading Anthracite, you get a pretty good idea of thier property layout. Use google earth and a gps and your all set.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
CraigL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill
Craig - I just remembered I was supposed to call you... sorry! My wife is in Denver on business all week so I am pulling double-duty. I am still thinking about this deal. I wish Keith would commit so I could carpool up there. - Bill
No problem, was just trying to see if you wanted to meet and ride out together. I saw some of the riding area when I was there. Saw single track and open areas, rocks, coal, dirt, hills.... Looks like a nice place and a change from the sand. Talk Keith into it soon. Seems like they sold at least 25 permits since Monday afternoon.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
baldrick
Moto-Geezer

Oddometer: 398
Permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL
No problem, was just trying to see if you wanted to meet and ride out together. I saw some of the riding area when I was there. Saw single track and open areas, rocks, coal, dirt, hills.... Looks like a nice place and a change from the sand. Talk Keith into it soon. Seems like they sold at least 25 permits since Monday afternoon.
I just got permit number 529 out of 800 available this morning around 10:30AM. If you go, the permit lady's name is Donna, and she's in the first office on the right after you enter the building.

Looks like there's a GPS mapping job ahead of us this spring.
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
not2fast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Reading Off Road Riders (RORR) has been holding its Memorial Day Enduro on the Reading Coal Co land the last few years. There will be a lot of trails out there that are part of the enduro loops that can lead on to private land that is not owned by the coal company but RORR has permission to use. Try to respect the private owner's land as not to put the enduro in jepordy.

Also, there will be lots of ATV and VW powered dune buggies out there once the weather warms up. Be careful!!

Terry
Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
I'm probably going up for a permit, some of the local riding areas are on thier way to be housing developments.
Steve C
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
DRDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I've been there, and it is very expansive. I think I'll jump on the bandwagon and get a pass. The pass is really for parking on the premises, so theoretically, others could ride there but not park. I believe there is marker, like a bracelet or something riders are supposed to wear, but I've never been asked, or even seen anyone checking. I'm in Baltimore and it's only about 90 minutes away.

DRDude is offline   Reply With Quote