Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
What no one thought to tell me though was that on the other side I had 7 miles of sand road that started out ok. I was buzzing along at 40 then nearly lost the front end. Slowed down but every now and again the front would feel like it was going to dumpas a ran into soft sand. After a while I figured that its best to gas it even more when you feel it washing out and get the weight on the back wheel. It started to be quite fun, although the thought of how heavy this bike is and the prospect of having to pick it up was in the back of my mind.

It was all worth it in the end. the springs are awesome.

Had a swim with the fishes, but freaked out when I was swimming just a few inches over the blue crabs.

These guys all started to come into roost. they were huge swooping across the lagoon.

rogerdodger screwed with this post 02-17-2007 at 06:41 AM
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
SkidinNC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Dude, I'm jealous. Makes me want to scan the calendar and schedule my next trip.
SkidinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #18
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidinNC
Dude, I'm jealous. Makes me want to scan the calendar and schedule my next trip.
Just make sure you miss the tornados! Had a lovely ride in the pouring rain today with lightning strikes coming right down next to me.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Hey Roger, I go to Brunswick/St Simmons/Jekyll Island twice a year. I had no idea about those little wooden hut things!!!!

Also go to the beach at night and touch a jelly fish with yoru finger. They GLOW! No kidding! They only sting you where you have hair folicals.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 AM   #20
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdzach
Hey Roger, I go to Brunswick/St Simmons/Jekyll Island twice a year. I had no idea about those little wooden hut things!!!!

Also go to the beach at night and touch a jelly fish with yoru finger. They GLOW! No kidding! They only sting you where you have hair folicals.
I have one more beach stop to make before Im back in atlanta for the weekend. so maybe I'll try the jelly fish proding. If you go to the tree house hostel, just go with an open mind to hippys that are trying to do the right thing. they do have a web site though. http://www.foresthostel.com/
Old 02-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #21
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I have one more beach stop to make before Im back in atlanta for the weekend. so maybe I'll try the jelly fish proding. If you go to the tree house hostel, just go with an open mind to hippys that are trying to do the right thing. they do have a web site though. http://www.foresthostel.com/
Thanks, I'll check`em out when I go this summer or fall.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:28 AM   #22
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok what day is it? um Wednesday. Well Im working my way back up the Florida coast. I need to be back in Atlanta to sign some papers and I was also getting some grief about the whole Valantines thing from the girlfriend. To be honest I need the break too.

One week now of basic living in a tent and cooking most of my meals. Stayed pretty self suficiant on the bike, but its tiring for an old man like me atleast.

I think the other thing thats worn me out is Ive kept a pretty good workout regime. The last day before I broke camp at Flagler I got a long run of 14 miles in. 2 hours of running then packed up and rode down to Orlando.

I use to live in Orlando way back in the 80's and when i first got there I didnt recognise anything. The city seemed huge and ugly. I was staying at a Youth Hostel down in Kissimmee which was a converted crap motel. I couldnt really count that as my first night on a real bed, as they were badly made bunk beds with a 2 inch matress. I think I was more comfortable in my tent. Add to that the Japanese kids that were sharing the room that came home drunk turning on and off lights at 2.00am

My real reason for stopping at Orlando was a builder show that had been going on there that week. there was a show house that was built in downtown and was open for the show.

Sunday morning I had a quick run to loosen up my legs from the previous days long run and then packed and went intown. Found the house in the old part of town I use to live in and Im glad to say that part of town hasnt changed much at all in 20 years. The house was well worth the trip although it was closed up! Still got to peek in the windows and snoop around along with other builders that were showing up.

I think you can just make out some of the foliage on the roof in this shot. Its from a "green roof" that uses plantings on a specially built roof to lower the heat transfer into the building and also saves from so much rain water being bumped back into the sewers. Actually this house has holding tanks that saves all the rainwater and re uses it to water the landscaping. The house has a bunch of green features. Well worth putting up with the kids at the hostel.

Nice to see my old neighborhood around Lake Eola too.

Ok so off to St Petersburg now and I was heading for the southern most tip of the pininsula which is De Soto state park.

Nice camp ground but its plagued with racoons that are only one small step away from being full on gangsters with guns. If you turn your back for a second that will rob you blind. The first night while cleaning up I missed my prized pack of MandMs that I left on the table which was to be my little luxury dessert. I turned round in the fading light and see this little bugger just chomping down the m and m's. He left me some and I wanted them so bad I ate them anyway. That was a couple of days ago and im not foaming at the mouth yet so I guess im ok. I didnt get any shots of the racoons as they came out at dusk mostly, but I think this guy was their look out.

The Gulf coast is a little calmer and a little warmer, but I still didnt get a chance to swim.

I found the swimming part of the beach the next day, but it was too late then to go in.

The next night I had a great dinner of rice and veggies with some tuna. Camp was perfect and a nice temp.

I made sure I had everything put away and then went to check on my laundry. On the walk I heard a racoon scrabling at something. It had a empty wrapper and I scared it off and threw the wrapper away. dont want to encourage them. well I get back to my camp and my tent is open. Im not sure if I left it open or they got in. I looked inside and now theyed had it away with my fig newtons! The message was pretty clear. you fuck with us and we will fuck with you.

Tuesday and I had a great run all along the coast in the state park. broke camp and started to head north. right into a massive storm. My rain gear worked pretty well, but the storm was so bad nothing much was going to keep all the water out. the bike performed flawlessly and never missed a beat. I rode on through thounder and lightning, one strike that shot down right on the other side of the road from me. Finally coming out of the storm and making it to my nights destination which was Manatee Springs. I was going to camp at the state park there, but was so worn out from the day I decided to treat myself to a proper motel room and dinner at a resturant.

Seems i got the obligitory black hands from my gloves, which gets some strange looks in these small towns. As does the bike. Cops love this bike, they always want to come up and chat about it. Ive never been so friendly with so many cops before in my life!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 AM   #23
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Excellent. Sounds like a nice past couple of days. I've always wondered what you guys do for showers, or do you just smell bad till you get home.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #24
All4Fun
Let the good times roll!

Oddometer: 182
Thanks for the fun ride report. Love Florida but lightning scares the crap out of me even when I'm driving in a car! Do you just figure it's not going to hit you? And the raccoons - we had one in our yard once, a big old guy and our golden retriever (100 lbs.) went after him. The raccon just stood his ground and looked at him, didn't back up an inch. The dog came to an immediate stop, put his tail between his legs and backed away. Another time, when I was a kid and staying at grandma's house, a family of them came and raided her fish pond, ate all the prize goldfish. Those coons are tough - they would intimidate me. Loved that little yellow house in your old neighborhood - compared to the new, weird builder house, which one says "home"??? Finally, congratulations on your running and thanks again.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #25
Chubber
I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer: 540
A belated welcome to O-town. Sounds like you had a good week, even if you picked one of the rainiest, windiest weeks of the winter.
Chubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #26
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdzach
Excellent. Sounds like a nice past couple of days. I've always wondered what you guys do for showers, or do you just smell bad till you get home.
Well its interesting how after the first day you dont really smell any worse! The state parks all have pretty nice showers, so it isnt too bad. Youd be amazed at how many days you can wear the same clothes when your on the road too!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #27
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun
Thanks for the fun ride report. Love Florida but lightning scares the crap out of me even when I'm driving in a car! Do you just figure it's not going to hit you? And the raccoons - we had one in our yard once, a big old guy and our golden retriever (100 lbs.) went after him. The raccon just stood his ground and looked at him, didn't back up an inch. The dog came to an immediate stop, put his tail between his legs and backed away. Another time, when I was a kid and staying at grandma's house, a family of them came and raided her fish pond, ate all the prize goldfish. Those coons are tough - they would intimidate me. Loved that little yellow house in your old neighborhood - compared to the new, weird builder house, which one says "home"??? Finally, congratulations on your running and thanks again.
Yeah I just figured that lightning isnt the way Im going to go...too easy!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubber
A belated welcome to O-town. Sounds like you had a good week, even if you picked one of the rainiest, windiest weeks of the winter.
OMG the wind today totally beat me to death.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #29
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun
And how about this house in downtown St Petersburg.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #30
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

stupid things Ive done on this trip

Left home without checking that I had the right propane tank for the camping stove. Had to buy another stove and now lugging two around.

Gave girlfriend the wrong key to the house so she cant get in. Probably all the plants are dead and the pipes are burst. Wait if the pipes burst maybe at least the plants got watered.

Rode one day all day without my helmet on and burnt my face off. I even had a huge bottle of suntun cream specifically for that purpose.

Was charging cell phone in the bikes axillery socket with the phone sitting in the tank bag. Stopped to get gas and took the tank bag off. then rode off and forgot about the cell phone. Felt the cord banging against my leg and pulled it up to find no phone. Had heart attack, nearly cried. Figured I couldnt do anything so kept riding to next camp and found the cell phone in the tank bag. Pay fucking attention roger!!

Packed everything on the bike then lost the key. Was in a pair of pants Id packed and forgot.

and finally tonight, too cold and tired to camp so I checked in a motel. got settled in and then had a phone call from the front desk. Someone was nice enough to tell them that Id left the key in the ignition.