Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 AM   #31
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
Left home without checking that I had the right propane tank for the camping stove. Had to buy another stove and now lugging two around.

Gave girlfriend the wrong key to the house so she cant get in. Probably all the plants are dead and the pipes are burst. Wait if the pipes burst maybe at least the plants got watered.

Rode one day all day without my helmet on and burnt my face off. I even had a huge bottle of suntun cream specifically for that purpose.

Was charging cell phone in the bikes axillery socket with the phone sitting in the tank bag. Stopped to get gas and took the tank bag off. then rode off and forgot about the cell phone. Felt the cord banging against my leg and pulled it up to find no phone. Had heart attack, nearly cried. Figured I couldnt do anything so kept riding to next camp and found the cell phone in the tank bag. Pay fucking attention roger!!

Packed everything on the bike then lost the key. Was in a pair of pants Id packed and forgot.

and finally tonight, too cold and tired to camp so I checked in a motel. got settled in and then had a phone call from the front desk. Someone was nice enough to tell them that Id left the key in the ignition.
Take a deep breath.

Not trying to project onto you, but ... When that many things are going wrong in my life at the same time it is usually because I am trying to control too many things at the same time.

Say a prayer of thanks for the good samaritan that passed on the info about your key. Good folks surround us all.

Good move on getting a room. When I travel, and I do way too much for work, I am ready for some time behind a closed door vegging out.
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 AM   #32
GOODFELLA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger
Wait if the pipes burst maybe at least the plants got watered.
I like the way you think!!

GOODFELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #33
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeds
Take a deep breath.

Not trying to project onto you, but ... When that many things are going wrong in my life at the same time it is usually because I am trying to control too many things at the same time.

Say a prayer of thanks for the good samaritan that passed on the info about your key. Good folks surround us all.

Good move on getting a room. When I travel, and I do way too much for work, I am ready for some time behind a closed door vegging out.
What cha mean "that many things"? Thats a good week for me!
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #34
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok so Tuesday was the ride in the rain. finishing in Clevland Fl up by Manatee Springs. Hands are looking lovely.

Wednesday morning and I rode over to the springs. Some nice Cyprus trees but no sea cows. Did see some jumping mullet.

If you ever wondered what it looks like "way down on the Suwannee river" here it is.

So headed north east and took all the back roads i could find. the thing I like about back roads is you never know what your going to come across. Past by something that cought my eye and had to go back for another look. It was an old junk yard in the middle of nowhere, but with some pretty cool old cars.

I was heading up to Amellia Island where I was told there was a really nice state park I could camp at. In the afternoon the wind started picking up. For a few hours i was getting so beat up. About every 30 seconds a huge gust of wind would blow so hard I'd tense up trying not to get blown off the bike. My shoulders were killing me and but the time I reached the camp site it was getting pretty cold. Amillia Island really does look nice and Id like to go back, but they were calling for low 30's in the night and with still a days riding to get back to Atlanta I didnt think it was a good idea to try camping. So back on the road to try to break some of the journey up for tomorrow. riding up on I-75 past Brunswick and now the wind is just crazy. Going past trucks that are doing 80 and the best thing is just gun it and get by as quick as you can. I guess doing 80 -90 in those winds doesnt help but I just wanted to get some miles down and make it to Savannah for the night.

Mission acumplished and I get a room and real dinner again and crash for the night. In the morning its 32 degrees and not much prospect of getting much warmer during the day as I head north. The first 100 miles wasnt too bad and at least the wind had died down. I-16 is so boring, just put the throttle lock on and try not to keep watching the miles slowy pass. I like to start calculating how long it will take me to get to certain points. I'll do a million different math calculations and see how close I get to hitting the mark. I get to Macon and stop for lunch and gas. And I'm cold. that kind of cold that you cant feel things anymore. i really didnt have the right gear for this weather. Im so glad for the heated grips. But I found that I had them on high and with the cold I couldnt feel that I had actually burnt my palms!

Lunch and gas done and its the last stage. 75 miles to Atlanta. and of course this section is a race track. I actually saw the most cops here too. Funny I saw a crash of 2 cars on the other side of the freeway and just up ahead was 2 cop cars. neither seemed to care about crashes only speeders. I guess I was having a good day. Everytime Id back off was right when Id see a cop car. Cold and doing 90, just want to get home and thaw out.

So thats the first part of the trip. I needed to come back to do a closing and oh that Valentines thing. Now the question is do I go back out again. Im thinking I might give myself a break for a couple of weeks and go at the end of Feb. that way I'll get better weather in Fl and I can hit Daytona bike week
Old 02-17-2007, 04:55 AM   #35
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Great report.

Being a thumper rider in Idaho, I'm prone to skipping some big BMW reports in places like Fl, not sure why that is...
Anyhow, loved your writing style.
Glad you were successful.
So, are you counting that as "practice" and getting ready for the real thing? (shameless request for another thread.)

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #36
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Great report.

Being a thumper rider in Idaho, I'm prone to skipping some big BMW reports in places like Fl, not sure why that is...
Anyhow, loved your writing style.
Glad you were successful.
So, are you counting that as "practice" and getting ready for the real thing? (shameless request for another thread.)
thanks! I've been thinking no one really cared about my little ole report. I must say after doing one I see how much harder it is to do, especially on the road, than it looks. I really wanted to write gushing detail and deep thoughts, but usually when Id finally find somewhere that had internet connection I was too tired and my mind went blank, so I just wanted to get something written.

That was 10 days and I think I was just starting to find a rythum in my travelling. It was really tiring and Im glad to be home, but I feel I didnt totally accomplished what I set out to do. I think I'll rest up for a bit then maybe in a couple of weeks go out again and hopefully it will have warmed up a bit then.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #37
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

On the road again

Left Atlanta a few days ago and in much better weather now. Amazing what a few weeks will do at this time of year. In Atlanta things are popping into blume daily. Down here in Florida it's full on spring too. temps in the high 70's and im already burnt to a crisp.

As usual when the day came to leave I was not nearly ready. A whole slew of emails, fax's and phone calls, but by 10.30am I had everything packed and was heading out down the road. One stop to the post office then hit I-75 and take it all the way into Florida.

Thats the fastest Ive ever made it down to Jennings. 2.45hrs! Making such good time and Id have liked to have stopped in at the motorcycle only race track at Jennings, but I had friends down in Daytona to meet that evening and I wanted to get there in good time to eat and get settled...or atleast i thought.

I-10 east and now theres noticibly more motorcycles, some are actually being ridden and not trailered! A lot of traffic on the road and the guys hauling the trailers seem to have forgoten how irritating it is to have some idiot in a trailer sitting in the passing lane and not move over when they see you coming up on them. Still I'm getting too full of my self and blowing past everyone at 90, even though the traffic is mostly holding a good 80. I have no clue why I thought Id get away with it. I guess its been so long since I had a speeding ticket I thought I was invincible. No so invincible to the un mark cop that was sitting on the hard shoulder as I crested a hill.

It was a fair bust and I took it like a man and joked around with him. I guess that was good enough that he wrote the ticket for 79 instead of the 93 that he said he clocked me at.

Moving on and it really didnt slow me much. I was in a mission and that bike just begs to be ridden fast. Now on the last stretch of I-95 south and theres a huge traffic jamp. I just dont see why if you have a motorcycle you cant split lanes. I grew up in London and splitting lanes is just a way of life there, cars respect you and give you space and they sit and wish they were you and could do the same. Here they swerve to hit you or try to scare you. Ive had guys honk at me and yell at me. But screw them, Im splitting lanes! Ok now making a nice pace throught the traffic and most cagers are being good, some even move over. i think it helps that the bike looks like a cop bike coming down from behind, especially when I have the Piaas on. But out of all the cars I passed the people that gave me the most trouble were fucking Harley riders!! Theyd see me coming and pull into the middle of the white line and block me coming through. Id wait for the traffic to move then before they could get there fat asses to get the bike in gear Id nip around them and be gone. Fun.

Ok too much writting and I need sleep. Couple of Daytona pics and I'll give a write up on it later.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #38
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
great report! just out of curiosity, what are jumping mullets? my first thought were rednecks on pogosticks but i know that's not the case....fish out of water?
KneeDrachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #39
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDrachen
great report! just out of curiosity, what are jumping mullets? my first thought were rednecks on pogosticks but i know that's not the case....fish out of water?
Yup mullets jump out of the water and they dont really know why.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #40
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

two days stuck in miami now with the worse food poisoning. Just managed to keep my first drink of soup down. I hope I can be on my way tomorrow. $200 a night isnt doing the buget any good, but better than hospital which is where I really thought I was going to end up.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #41
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

dredging up an old ride report.

Ok so after I got home, life took over and I lost motivation to finish this. I think when your faced with all the crap of the real world you partly want to forget just how much fun your trip was in fear that you might just chuck everything and hit the road for the rest of your life.

Well Im facing my fears and Im going to try to finish this. Of course as i delve back into the memories Im also reminded of the where I left off. 2 days sick as a dog in a miami hotel with food poisioning. But we have a ways to go before I get back to that lovely place. So lets get on with the story from when things were all rosey and Id arrived in Daytona Beach for bike week.

My friend Doug had rented a house from a friend of his and joined him and a couple of other friends for the last weekend of bike week.

After my other remarks about Harley riders i feel bad that these guys were all mounted on Harleys. You really feel out of place on anything other than a Harley in this town and the guys hovered around the bike asking questions. The main one being how did I ride the thing with my little legs!

Saturday and Doug and I rode over to the track to watch the races.

Wandering around the expo after the races.

Sunday and I took a ride into town to check out the action. Its early morning so things arnt really up and running yet, but theres still some interesting foke around.

Talk about a fish out of water. The Beemer gets a lot of wierd looks.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #42
troutdog
I don't fish.

Oddometer: 809
I'm enjoying your travels, please keep them coming.
troutdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #43
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdog059
I'm enjoying your travels, please keep them coming.
Thanks, Always good to lknow people appreciate the work that goes into these reports.

I have some more good pics coming up. I just need to go back to my old diary and get my thoughts back in that time.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #44
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Daytona, sheesh what a crazy bunch of mid life crisis wackos. I'd never seen so many middle age guys get so turned on by the sight of some nasty saggy tits that occasionally got flashed. And what these guys think they are doing trying to take pictures of said tits with cell phone cameras i have no idea. To look at them all dressed up in their leather waste coats and chaps Id think they were just trying to prove to themselves that they really wernt gay.

Another thing that amazed me was 400, ooo people going to Daytona for bike week, but the beach was deserted. I think some of them didnt even realized Daytona was on the coast!

Again I hoped for a swim but the sea was angry that day my friends, and I wasnt about to go try offering myself to appease it.

Time to get out of Dodge. I had an appointment in Orlando on Tuesday, so I thought Id nip back up north to my favorite camping spot On Flagler Beach.

Driving out of town and just about to get on the freeway and three harley riders cut straight across in front of me to get on the same freeway on ramp. These guys were a real motely looking bunch, dressed in raggady jackets with studs and patches. their bikes were a similar fashion of having a look of bad assness, and we are so hard dont mess with us. As they cut me off I could almost smell the attitude seaping from their pores.

I stuck on their tale as we sailed up the freeway, they gunned it and settled in to a nice open space of road out on the far left side of the three lane slab. At this point I could have taken it up a notch and passed them and been gone, but I was having too much fun sitting right on their tale. Theyd dodge around a few cars then check their mirrors to see if I was still there. What was most fun was knowing that I was totally blowing their cool bad ass look. I mean there they are with the Hells Angel look going on and heres me riding in their group all kitted out with full face helmet, loud yellow and black sport jacket and riding some fancy looking European bike. It was just upsetting the hell out of them, that people probably thought we were all together and I was part of their gang.

I played with them for a while like this until we hit traffic from yet another freeway wreck that brought us to a crawl. For all their bad ass ness non of them wanted to risk splitting lanes and I just dont see the point of being on a bike and not splitting lanes. So I gave them a cheery wave, which they all turned the other way to pretend they didnt see and I took off down between the parked cars.

On passing the accident it wasnt long before I came across more Harley riders. This time we had the Cadilac style Harley, the ones that are loaded with everything and look like the riders are sitting on a recliner. I followed these guys for a little while, just to check them out, but the noise of their pipes was so loud they were ruining my little motorcycling buzz. Talking of buzz, I couldnt figure out what the tinny screatching electronic noise was that seemed to be coming from these goliaths. It was only as I pulled up next to them I realized the sound was coming from the blarring speakers mounted in the car like dash boards. Is there anything less like a motorcycle than these things?

Ok so I roll into Flagler and all is well again. Piece and quiet at my little beach side camp site. In the morning I get a nice run in and cool off with a swim! finally.

Polly want a cracker?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:22 AM   #45
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Thanks for the updates, now get back at it!!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote