Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #61
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
I pulled in to the camping area and went through the process of first talking with the ranger, then picking out my camp site, then paying the ranger and notifying him of where i was camping. I set up came and made dinner. Took a little walk off into the wilderness, but there wasn't anything to see. Not a bird in the sky, or a creature on the ground.

At 7.30 there was to be a slide show and talk from a ranger on the habitat and fauna of the park. The sun was setting and I must say it was the most peaceful place Id been in a while. The slide show was in an outdoor auditorium. Some rows of chairs arranged in a semicircle with a path running down the middle. To the back was what looked like an outhouse, which housed the projector and center stage was a large screen and a rather chubby ranger. I took a seat to the back and as my eyes adjusted to the now darkness I saw that he had a pretty good crowd.

The show was a classic. The pictures appeared one by one, each either upside down or in wrong order to the speech he was giving. People asked question to which he had no answer or seemed as if he made up one. The bulk of the dialog was about all the amazing wild animals that lived in the park, all of which were on the most endangered list and not likely that we would ever see. It was here that I learned about how the alligators fished and just how close Id come to being a little snack for a few of them. Some of the sad facts that came out was things like out of 40,000 acres there was only 9 Florida panthers left. No wonder they went to such great trouble of fencing miles of road to stop these last ones from ending up as road kill. Too little too late, so sad.

I wandered back to my camp site and sat at my picnic table looking up a the night sky. the last few days Id covered hundreds of miles through territory that only a hundred years ago was the most impassable, in hospitable swamp ever, that took the best of explorers weeks to cross. It seemed so strange that with all our modern technology, we've completely lost touch with our planet. Looking at the stars I could maybe pick out a constellation of the big dipper. But I knew the world was round, that we moved around the sun, that earth was a mere speck in the universe. Yet who of us can still find our way by the stars, or track my prey for my evening dinner. Without all my modern convieniences I was totally helpless, Id be lost and dead in a matter of days.

The next morning I prepared for my long run of the week. I was near the end of my marathon training and this morning called for 18 miles. As luck would have it the map I had of the park gave some distances of walking trails close by. I plotted out an out and back route and set off. These trails were well off the beaten path, and of course I hoped that maybe Id see one of those 9 panthers. Hell Id settle for seeing a dear, or a rodent of some sort, a squirrel even, something! anything...nothing. I did come across a small lake and the fish seemed to be doing well, due to the fact there was nothing left to hunt them I guess.

The run went well and I broke camp, (that's the fancy camping word we use for packing up all my crap) and loaded the bike and headed out of the park. The last stop was an area in the park that was billed as a wildlife sanctuary. Its pretty sad when the wild life needs a sanctuary within the park. Lots of people here and again I guess the fishing was great.

The local fisherman taking a break

Some of these guys were huge, and they were everywhere.

After you've seen a few they start to get a bit blase.

rogerdodger screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 06:24 PM
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #62
troutdog
I don't fish.

Oddometer: 809
troutdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #63
ramires
Dakar or AfricaTwin soon

Oddometer: 25
i ve read it at once :)

Interesing voyage. For this moment i can be only reader to the next year, but let me get the my first own moto .. :)

I will describe all longer trips :)

and now i wait for more

Honda Africa Twin RD03/07a
pro-adventure.pl - we prepare motorbikes for adventure
ramires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #64
shepoutside
Canadian - eh!

Oddometer: 163
Wicked report !!!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice --Neil Peart
shepoutside is offline   Reply With Quote