User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #16
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
The farkle is complete

Quick update ... I've finished the job, the bike is back together and starting very nicely thank you :)

Here's the new battery in the new box, after a coat of paint (black Hammerite of course). I used a large cable tie as a retaining strap.

The new location for the fuel pump breather pipe. The dirt on my bike is shocking! Bloomin hard to clean back there though.

The new route for the fuel tank balance pipe. I made a cock up and cut the original too short, therefore this is a different bit of fuel pipewith a similar internal bore. No reasonwhy you couldn't use the original though if you measure correctly :)

And the new location for the fuel pump. I think I may revisit this soon, and try it with the pump rotated though 180 degrees, so that the breather comes out at the back. As it is, the breather rubs slightly on the plastic part of the bash plate (you can see a mark on the pipe already).

One disadvantage with this new set up is that to remove the battery I have to remove the box from the bike, there's not clearance to lift it out in situ. However, that's not something you need to do every day so I don't really think it'll be a problem.

My main lingering concern is that a serious impact to the bash plate might damage something because everything is crammed in so tightly behind it. I'll just have to keep an eye on things and check it thoroughly after I go off road.

Does anyone know if a Touratech bashplate gives you more room in the battery area? Or maybe I'll make my own - probably quicker than ordering from TT
uk_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,720
Thumb Well done

Seems you managed to finish the adventure and you learned welding. Well done and thnx for the photo manual.

P.S. You think PC310 wouldn't be up to the job?

gefr screwed with this post 02-11-2007 at 09:20 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #18
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 311
Thumb Well done +1

Great blueprint, nicely done! Thanks for posting the photos it will help anybody that needs or wants to follow your lead.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #19
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
I like it!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #20
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,110
I remember from something that this fuel pump HAS to be mounted like it is originally.
Anyone who can confirm this?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
Armadillofz1
Retarded Motardian

Oddometer: 745
i was thinking of adding that same battery. I was also planning on moving the Fuel pump behind the airbox. there seems to be plenty of realestate there from the Ectomys. another thought on fuel pumps, i have a spare FZ1 yamaha pump that looks like it might be a nice fit and seemingly far more reliable. i think i'll give it a try.
Armadillofz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #22
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD
I remember from something that this fuel pump HAS to be mounted like it is originally.
Anyone who can confirm this?
Humn, only thing I can think of has to do with being as low as possible. These pumps need to be as low as possible to function well.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #23
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

As far as I know, fuel pumps can "push" quite well but can't "suck" much. If the pump was mounted at the level of the airbox, it might have trouble raising the fuel to that height when the level in the tanks was low.

I'm afraid I can't comment much on the OEM pump, mine failed (due to water ingress) soon after I did this conversion. Whether the failure was influenced by the new mounting position I can't say, but I doubt it, the pump basically filled with mud through the breather tube.

I replaced the pump with a Facet 40105, mounted on the left hand side of my new battery box, with a couple of bolts welded onto the side of the box. The instructions for the Facet specifically state to mount it below the tank, or as near as possible.

The shape of the Facet makes it fit better than the OEM one did into the space available on my bike, actually.

I'm pretty pleased with this mod, the battery box has survived several rough off roading expeditions, including the Red Kite rally a couple of weeks ago (18th place ) where I was basically going balls-out for 130 miles of dirt. Which used 24 litres of fuel, my worst ever mpg! The Facet pump has also so far survived being submerged in some pretty dirty water.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
Armadillofz1
Retarded Motardian

Oddometer: 745
has anyone tried running the pump breather up to a higher position to avoid the mud/water problem?
Armadillofz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #25
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse
The Facet pump has also so far survived being submerged in some pretty dirty water.
Any pix of your Facet pump setup? Thx.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #26
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Here's the Facet pump, as requested :)

Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #27
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,958
Thanks!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #28
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Dammit, there's still bits of grass stuck to my bike, it's so hard to get clean!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:25 AM   #29
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
is that piece of gear in the first photo belong to an old series Landrover? (the step up bar replacing the bumper?)
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #30
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Heh, you're right, it's the rear chassis member I had cut away from my Defender (same as on a series model though) before welding on a new one. My introduction to welding had a pretty steep learning curve :)