Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Question Round 2: Why did this TKC go flat??

guys I posted something about this but wanted to air it again in hopes of some light.

riding the weestrom last week in rocky, ugly off pavement. The front TKC lost air pressure, down to a guesstimate of 10 or 15 lbs, then over a period of the next 20 minutes lost all. checked for attackers, came up with nothing unusual. no marks on rim [other than just usual scuffs], nothing odd looking. aired it back up, and its been holding since then, though I have not ridden much this week.

what caused it to go down, and is there an ounce of prevention?
thx
z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Rabid Dog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Sometimes you can get a piece of crud stuck in the valve. Next inflation blows it out. Sometimes a very thin inrusion in the tire will cause it to loose air when tire is flexed at each rotation.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Gasket
Wandering Samurai

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
guys I posted something about this but wanted to air it again in hopes of some light.

riding the weestrom last week in rocky, ugly off pavement. The front TKC lost air pressure, down to a guesstimate of 10 or 15 lbs, then over a period of the next 20 minutes lost all. checked for attackers, came up with nothing unusual. no marks on rim [other than just usual scuffs], nothing odd looking. aired it back up, and its been holding since then, though I have not ridden much this week.

what caused it to go down, and is there an ounce of prevention?
thx
z
It might have been a bead leak, which is a problem that I recently had. I took it to the shop and we went over every inch of the tread but could find no penetration. I checked the valve, filled the tire to pressure but the next day it was down to 15 lbs again. I put 8 oz of Slime in it, filled it to pressure again and the leak has stopped. The mechanic suggested both that it was a bead leak and also to try the Slime. Great stuff. BTW, Slime makes a great little air pump, with four different pigtail power attachments for about 35 bucks. Comes in a compact case with a air gauge. Neat...
1967 Triumph TR6C
1957 Triumph 650 Flat Tracker
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
I saw a slime airppump on amazon for 18 bucks and was wondering if it was the right one. here it is, pls check:
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-12-Volt-...sporting-goods

the stuff about a bead leak makes sense, as does the valve thing except that the cap was on tight. we too went over ever cm of that tire and find nada, and its holding. I need to take it for some careful riding and see if it gives up
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
OMJunk
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Slime is great stuff. Never need to check tire pressure again. BUT changing tires is messy, and the sticky worm tire plugs will not hold. I went through a whole package of them 70 miles from home.
OMJunk is offline   Reply With Quote