User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Outfitting LC4 for a LONG Trip

I own a 2006 LC4 and plan on taking it to Tierra del Fuego next year. I have read several threads on the HU site and just finished going thru "Riding the World" by Greg Frazier with emphasis on preparing the bike.

Here is my list of equipment(bike specific not camping or living) which I already have or will get prior to heading south: 1) wolfman expedition beta bag and tank panniers, 2) happy trails panniers, 3) ktm tank bag, 4) tool kit specific to the LC4, 5) chain oiler(probably scott), 6) accessory plug for electric vest, 6) stainless steel oil filters, 7) inline fuel filter, 8) SWMotech sidestand, 9) heated grips.

In addition, I plan on replacing all light bulbs, getting a new battery, a new chain/sprocket depending on mileage.

So, what else should I do/add to the bike to prepare it for a ride of 15000 miles?
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Less is more. The more crap you carry, the harder the bike has to work. Let's ask some questions about the trip.

Dirt/Pavement ratio?
Time - ie, are you planning it all in one shot?
How much weight are you carrying?
Are you going to work on the bike yourself, or planning to find a shop?
Camping/Moteling/Hosteling/Wingin' it?

LC4 is a great bike but has weaknesses and things that have to be paid attention to.

The battery thing is hit or miss. Vibration is the enemy of a battery, so you might be good for 500 miles o5 15,000. No one knows.

The hydraulic clutch keeps me awake nights. I have had these things fail, and your SOL when it does. Have a contingency.

You need to evaluate your load and build the suspension to suit the lading. Take the bike apart and relube *everything* - learn how to repack bearings, and any seal that looks suspect, throw it away and replace it. Throw the OE rims away, and have some heavy duty wheels (Suns or Excels) built with oversized spokes and HD nipples. Learn how to rejet the BST carb while on the trail. Get proficient changing tires and tubes. Learn how to adjust your valves, and change oil on the trail. Also get proficent and sourcing sprockets and chains, and learn how to repair the o-ring failure on the transmission output shaft. Learn how to repair the waterpump seal and bearings. Learn how to change suspension linkages and shock bearings. After all that, you'll know what tools you need and how to improvise, and you'll now have an inventory for your tool kit.

When you have stuff in your pocket, your ride will go by the numbers. Have a great trip.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,767
RP,
I am setting my 640 Adventure up for riding Russia, Mongolia and beyond.
I will leave in June.
I have ridden from the A-circle to TDF so been there and done that but not on a KTM. I made the trip on an old BMW.
That convinced me that KTM was the way to go. I rode with all the other BMW's, KLR's, Honda's.
Your choice of bike is right.

Frazier has a book on riding Central and South America. It is still the most valuable book on the subject so get that and a Footprints guide, maps and a GPS with world map loaded. You need to attach it. KTM makes a mounting system and so do others but get the GPS mounted where you can see it with the tankbag. This is important.

Not sure what the Wolfman Beta bag with tank panniers is but no tank panniers for you. Blocks airflow and cooling is affected.
For a chain oiler I would go with the Proiler. I have one. It works slick and not affected by temperature changes. SS oil filters(I don't know but dont trust), I use paper and change them every third oil change. Carry one spare set.

No accessory plug unless already installed. Come off battery with a fused auto push-pull style hookup, carry a couple of spare ends. No inline filter, when they break fuel everywhere is dangerous and they are not needed for SA.

Do not leave Dodge without NEW brake pads, chain and sprockets, tires, tubes and spare tubes, battery. Replacement cables. New grease in steering head bearings, suspension dogbone,swing arm.
Do it yourself so you know.

You didn't say which year or how many miles but you gotta get grease in all the wheel bearings.
Consider a new aircleaner.
Renazco seat.
That's a start. Listen to Gaspipe, he is the expert.
Fear nothing.
Bill.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Darin
WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer: 594
I would highly suggest packing the fork seals with waterproof grease, run them up and down a few times and wipe off excessive grease. Then most importantly cover the USD forks with a neoprene boot or sock to keep out dirt and mud. I blew out two seals within 6,000 miles on my 05 640, listened to some good advice and I've had zero problems since

I would also consider some type of aux lighting like HID's b/c they draw less wattage.

Perhaps loosing the low front fender ""ski" for a high fender.

Best of luck on your travels.

Darin
- pencils miss spel words
- cars make people drive drunk.
- Spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment

http://ktmdarin.smugmug.com

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
lordmaciek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
RP,
I am setting my 640 Adventure up for riding Russia, Mongolia and beyond.
I will leave in June.
hello bill, we are going on 3 KTM Adventures on the same direction at the same time. Maybe we me could meet somewhare to drink a beer or maybe two;)
maciek
lordmaciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,484
The fork covers are mandatory.
Don't worry about extra lights. DONT RIDE AT NIGHT!!!!!!!! There are every sort of animal that lives on or near the road - donkeys, pigs, horses lots of dogs and herds of goats and cows. Also, sometimes the road is gone. You may not see this at night.
I would recommend the touratech tank bag/panniers. The KTM tank bag does not fit a map very well. I will guess that you will be using a map, occasionally?

I have spent allot of my trip lost in the back country of some CA countries. A GPS would be a nice thing to have. Also I have been lost in every city I have travelled through. I will be packing one next time.

I don't agree with some of what Gaspipe mentioned. Being a super mechanic is great - but if you have a massive failure in the middle of Patagonia, you won't be able to fix it there. Unless you are carring parts for everything...but I don't want to pack 100 pounds of bearings, seals, tools and other spares.

I am on an LC4, in Nicaragua heading to Argentina. The bike has been doing good. If you don't have the money for the rims don't worry. Remember to ride at about 50% of your ability - you won't hit any big rocks this way.

Bring a master link for your chain. You won't have to push your bike 5.3 km into a town this way.

Start taking spanish lessons.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 545
At first I would make the man-to-machine interface as comfortable as possible: softer grips, higher bar, seat – whatever makes you feel happier. Then I would tape electrical harness for vibration resistance. Electrical gremlins are the least you want.

Everything should be in top-condition before departure. Check oil and coolant leaks, cylinder compression etc. You will need several sprockets during 15000 miles. At the same time you could play with the final gearing ratio. Double check every nut and bolt for getting loose every second or so days while on the road.

The GPS would certainly make navigation easier.

Learning to change oil, tires and tubes wouldn’t hurt either. Learning Spanish is also a great advice. You might read the Chris Scott’s Adventure Motorcycling Handbook.

Have a spare key with you. And have a good luck!
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
desmonc
Bike Rider

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpilottx
I own a 2006 LC4 and plan on taking it to Tierra del Fuego next year. I have read several threads on the HU site and just finished going thru "Riding the World" by Greg Frazier with emphasis on preparing the bike.

Here is my list of equipment(bike specific not camping or living) which I already have or will get prior to heading south: 1) wolfman expedition beta bag and tank panniers, 2) happy trails panniers, 3) ktm tank bag, 4) tool kit specific to the LC4, 5) chain oiler(probably scott), 6) accessory plug for electric vest, 6) stainless steel oil filters, 7) inline fuel filter, 8) SWMotech sidestand, 9) heated grips.

In addition, I plan on replacing all light bulbs, getting a new battery, a new chain/sprocket depending on mileage.

So, what else should I do/add to the bike to prepare it for a ride of 15000 miles?
I recently did a 15,000km trip through some fairly rugged country and was impressed with the reliability and strength of the Adventure, you should not have any problems. Do not carry more than 35-40kg in luggage and that includes the weight of the rack and topbox/panniers which usually weigh around 15-20kg. Use 8mm bolts to secure the Pannier rack. Buy spares and leave them at home, they can be air-freighted to you if necessary.
Check out this thread.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...87#post4059787
desmonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,767
Lordmac,
I will PM you.
Darin,
I didn't cut my fork boots off and rode for a whole summer that way not realizing they bind up on the fork guards so you never get full travel, at least my '02 is that way. Take the spring out and compress the fork. I think you will be surprised.
Rpilot,
I just bought a small two way snap ring pliers for my toolkit. You need one for the water pump and the rear wheel bearings. I also bought a grease needle so I can work some grease into the wheel bearings without pulling them apart(wrecking the seals).
Especially if you get into water this could be nice but I haven't tried it.
Bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Reinhold
No, not Messner

Oddometer: 195
Never been a big fan of aluminum panniers. You might think of the soft ones like Andy Bagz (?) from Australia. Lighter, easier on your legs when you endo! Not great for security but easy to remove when you park for the night.

Dont take a lot of camping equipment...try to stay as much as you can with the locals be it guest houses or cheap hotels. Order a light tent from Tarp Tent which weighs only 1.5 lbs for those unscheduled bivys. Took one to Prudoe last year...great piece of kit!

Pack as light as you can. Buy clothing as you go. Take obvious spare parts that would help you limp in to the next town. Know your bike and learn to improvise. Have KTM shop contacts at home for shipping of parts if needed.

If you have a family at home be nice to them and pick up a small sat phone. Its expensive but worth it for the long trip.

Pick up the DVD from Horizonsunlimited.com. Great ideas from people that have travelled the world.

Planning these trips is half the fun...sorry for rambling on...a little bit off topic as far as the bike goes.
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,255
start racking up local miles, toughen your ass. you'll need it w/ the stock seat. that would be the first thing I'd replace

make sure your happy with bar position etc... i'd replace the tubes w/ heavy duty jobs w/ jizz if it doesnt have em stock.

re no hard side bags as reinhold suggested, you could always go with a lockable trunk, then with soft bags. you gotta have at least one lockable . learned that early , some asshole rifled though my bag and stole a fresh 40 oncer of barcardi in canadian rockies, ( low budget trip on a SL100 ) that hurt at the time.

have you seen the lower tool kits made of 4" water ( or electrical) pipe , screw caps ends, hose clamp it on the front of the skid plate, pack your heavy tools in it, tire irons etc.. keep the weight low and centered ( hhmm might of got that from Grant on HU )
Old 02-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Have heard that a steering damper is a very good safety addition.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,255
in case you arent already, bring a tube of aluma-weld, in case you smack the crankcase. a tube of silicone gasket stuff too.

if you yank any wires off prepping use dielectric grease on re- assembly.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
I got this stuff from MSR called quicksteel, and also quickaluminum. Not sure of the difference between the two. But it is very trick stuff. It is a two part putty, you slice off how much you need and then kneed it in your fingers and apply. It sets up in a few minutes, but is not full strength for a while. I like it better than liquids because you can form it into any shape you want, and I'll often use only a pee-sized portion to fill in scrape marks etc.

I saw the quicksteel at an advance auto recently.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #15
woodworkernyc
dirty

Oddometer: 288
Great thread

In one of Gaspipes ride reports (transam trail?) there's an interesting breakdown of gear/tools/personal, wich I read as: how little can you get by with, what can you get along the way with a liitle planning/luck, and how many pairs of underwear do you Really need.

Rpilotx, you're on an Adventure, correct? More room for stuff than a Lc4e, although I'm not sure why ..... (I've seen some loaded up like LT's) Myself, I'm trying to go more the stripped down philosophy. How long do you plan to be out? I'm sure the longer you're on the road, the more you miss clean skivvies - although the crew around here..... I'm going to start with about the about the TransAm amount, plus maybe 15-20% for 6-8 weeks in S.A. on an Lc4e.

Btw- I asked my smart friend (BMW master tech) what the best bike for this trip would be, and don't ya know he says, "XR650r" & he's hardcore Beemer (and a man of few words) "Uh, how come" Because Honda parts are available almost anywhere. Right, well true but with the kind of prep our smart guy's are talking about, I believe the lc4 is definitely up to it - let's both hope.

Some random thoughts:

Heated gear - Interested to know what peoples max cold riding temps are before reaching for the wires. Mines prob around 35-40. Several days at a time is a factor too, as anybody can tough it out till they get home that night. Heated grips crazy not to have, though!

Oiler - Do they make minicans of chain lube, or is it crazy not to have one? -oiler.

Sidestand - one that works with the CS, as of the two I think the center is the one to have on a trip like this.

Tire Balls? - Clearly the wackiest shit I seen in a long time, and not cheap as I recall. Then I thought about changing a tire and in the middle of nowhere in Chile........ Plan maybe to take a second looksee at that site.

Last - every single post to your thead has had really great info ( been tacking notes) Highway - sorry to hear about the bacardi - stealing a mans likker is HARSH! Great tequilla is cheap south of the border you know.

Ride Safe!
woodworkernyc is offline   Reply With Quote