Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Removing the EPC from a late model 640A (not a US issue)

I was recently asked by an Australian inmate how to go about removing the EPC from his bike.

First, a bit of information. We don't have EPCs (Electronic Power Control) in the US... and I've never seen one in person.
I've reviewed the limited information KTM provides as well as the wire schematics enough to have a pretty good idea of how it works and how to remove it.
I could be wrong, and if I am, I'd appreciate it if someone from a EPC fitted country could indicate where I've made my error.

The EPC is an emissions control device that functions as a carburetor "vacuum piston damper".
When it is engaged in the range indicated in the attached drawing, it allows atmospheric pressure in the area above the vacuum diaphragm via a solenoid valve, which has the effect of slowing down or damping the vacuum pistons response.

As the EPC control is part of the ignition system on a late model bike, you disconnect the wires at the micro switches (49/50)... or at the connector (30), or if your feeling frisky, you can remove the wires completely by removing them from the ignition module and pulling them from the sub-harness.
The power supply for the solenoid appears to be the starter aux. relay (42)... you can leave that in place (you kinda need it) and just disconnect the wire to the solenoid.
Removing the solenoid assembly (44) and capping off the fitting on the top the carb is pretty much given.

What is the possible benefit from disconnecting this system? As far as I can tell, whacking the throttle open in 2nd and 3rd gear at 45 to 55 kph is a universally popular and highly entertaining practice.
Removing a device that restricts throttle response would insure that people the world over can have just as much fun as Americans and other nationalities that aren't hobbled by this spiffy device.

That's about what I know... unless I'm wrong, then I guess I'm more senile than I thought.
C
Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
This sounds like a good thing to me. I think I might take it off and all the other shit that is just hanging of the motor that is not needed.
Then I am going to run the breather from the carb and engine up under the speedo and put a proper filter on it. It should stop the crap getting in to the top of the the carb and doing this after 9000km.There is a lot of dust and water marks/corrsion in the top of the carb whith lots of score marks.
The so called filter that stop rocks entering the carb now has some filter fomein it to stop the dust.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMatt
This sounds like a good thing to me. I think I might take it off and all the other shit that is just hanging of the motor that is not needed.
Then I am going to run the breather from the carb and engine up under the speedo and put a proper filter on it. It should stop the crap getting in to the top of the the carb and doing this after 9000km.There is a lot of dust and water marks/corrsion in the top of the carb whith lots of score marks.
The so called filter that stop rocks entering the carb now has some filter fomein it to stop the dust.
I wrote a little thing on that too... filters are overkill perhaps, but my slide is clean.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
KTMatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Thanks for the info Creeper.
Is there anything you dont know. I think I got the water in mine from some deap creek crossing and the dust well there is plenty of that for shore this beeing the worst drought in a 100 years and all.

Cheers Matt
Old 02-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
One day I'll get around to taking it off my bike, but at the moment I just have it disabled. I did this by using a little plastic cap that blocks off the hose on top of the carb. I bought the cap from Sommer KTM when I got some other stuff from them. Apparently THere are big fines in Germany for messing with emisions stuff so that is why they block it of but leave it looking stock.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Simply putting a cap on there and putting the hose aside, would that be sufficient for some testing? (i.e. could there be a problem if I leave all the electronics as it is)

Belive it or not, but whackin the throttle in third gear at 50kph happens to be a dear hobby of mine

EDIT: Just saw rjfs comment...
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
creeper. Solving LC4 problems the world over.

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus
creeper. Solving LC4 problems the world over.
It was kind of an interesting challange trying to figure out how to disconnect a device I've never seen.
Some folks wouldn't think twice or have an issue with disconnecting or removing it, but like anything, some folks need a little clarification.

The older bikes (I haven't researched the cut-off point) have a separate EPC control module, independant of the ignition module... so that would be one more widget to remove and toss in the usless emissions pile.

One of these days, maybe we can put together a "Emissions the World Over" sub-catagory in the LC4 index... kind of a one-stop-shop for emissions removal assistance. EPC, air pump, EVAP, slide stops, restrictors and anything else anyone can come up with.
There's actually a good starting point with the thread on the SAS by Sylvia in the "Engine, Transmission, and Drivetrain" section.

In fact... I think I'll do that now.

C
Old 02-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
johan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
BTW, for those of you who have done this, does it give any actual improvement on the throttle response?
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan
BTW, for those of you who have done this, does it give any actual improvement on the throttle response?
I'd be interested in hearing a hopefully objective impression on that myself.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
jonpcovington
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
I'd be interested in hearing a hopefully objective impression on that myself.

I bought a completely stock Canadian '01 Duke II that had the EPS system. I did some research and found the answer somewhere on the web, I don't remember where.

I just pulled the wires and removed the EPS from the carb. Didn't run worth a damn, wouldn't pull off of idle.

Then I realized that I had forgotten to plug the hole in the top of the diaphragm case.

That done, it ran just fine, with a substantial increase in midrange oomph, as I expected.
jonpcovington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #12
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,397
Howdi,
For a piccy of the epc removal have a look here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=123

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
OzRider640
SandGroper

Oddometer: 4
Thanks from many...

Hi all.... I was said Aussie Inmate that contacted Creeper for some info on the EPC. In light of the thread/info he posted...I think we would all agree that once again ...he is "the man".
Thanks.....

KTM640 Adv '03
OzRider640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #14
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpcovington
I bought a completely stock Canadian '01 Duke II that had the EPS system. I did some research and found the answer somewhere on the web, I don't remember where.

I just pulled the wires and removed the EPS from the carb. Didn't run worth a damn, wouldn't pull off of idle.

Then I realized that I had forgotten to plug the hole in the top of the diaphragm case.
That done, it ran just fine, with a substantial increase in midrange oomph, as I expected.
I did that a few weeks ago when I installed a used 39 FCR-MX from a '03 KTM EXC on my 640A. I had yet to install the enrichner assembly ('cause I needed to modify the plunger) and started the bike with an open hole.

Sure was hard to start with a giant vacuum leak.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #15
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
I did that a few weeks ago when I installed a used 39 FCR-MX from a '03 KTM EXC on my 640A.
So are we gunna see a how to convert your (03) 640 ADV from a BST to an FCR.

Because My BST is getting one more float adjustment and if it still bogs its gone. Before easter too.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote