Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2007, 05:05 AM   #16
LC8rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
I guess my biggest complaint is a fuel range of less then 200 miles(but it appears a 44 liter tank may cure that problem)
I ride quite often with a mate who like you owns a 1150GS. When we stop to fill up we always seem to put the same amount in (unless I have a mad moment and give it the berries). If I'm being a good boy, I can get anywhere between 43 to 49 mpg, that's given me 230 ish miles to a tank. When I'm not being a good boy, I get a lot less mpg, but by then I don't care either .
Oh, as for reliability, it's more reliable than my ex ever was (better ride as well).
Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #17
rpilottx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
44 liter tank

Have not seen the 44 liter tank yet but it is supposed to be available this spring and projected cost is about $1500. Andrew at Adventurer's Workshop has seen the item and says he is impressed.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #18
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,530
I've owned both. The earily 950s had some issues. The later ones don't seem to.

What's there to say.
The GS will be better at 2 up. More room.
The GS is better at wind management.
The GS is way easier to set the valves on.
The GS is more of a finished product. Wire connectors, fuel systems, Stuff like that.

For road miles only I'd stick with the GS.
For Road miles with some easy off road. Still the GS.

The 950 is more like a dirt bike.
It's one of the best tracking bikes that I've ever ridden.
It's a hoot to ride.
You can expect more maintance. Fork alinement, valves, stuff like that.
One big thing that I like about the 950 is that it is a very capable machine with the stock tires on it.

The GS can't do much in loose stuff with Torances.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #19
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,624

A moto mag sumed it up, it's a great bike to connect the trails if you live close to the trails. The GS will get you to the trails.

The KTM will walk away from the GS in the rough stuff...but again, as everyone knows, it's all rider. I do miss my KTM and I am trying to figure out how to have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
I've owned both. The earily 950s had some issues. The later ones don't seem to.

What's there to say.
The GS will be better at 2 up. More room.
The GS is better at wind management.
The GS is way easier to set the valves on.
The GS is more of a finished product. Wire connectors, fuel systems, Stuff like that.

For road miles only I'd stick with the GS.
For Road miles with some easy off road. Still the GS.

The 950 is more like a dirt bike.
It's one of the best tracking bikes that I've ever ridden.
It's a hoot to ride.
You can expect more maintance. Fork alinement, valves, stuff like that.
One big thing that I like about the 950 is that it is a very capable machine with the stock tires on it.

The GS can't do much in loose stuff with Torances.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #20
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,027
Try it, you'll like it

I went down to my dad’s house to borrow the 1150 last week. I hadn’t been on it in a few months. My immediate impressions were: Low!, Slow, and wide, in that order. The 950 shifts much, much smoother too.

After riding it for a while, the GS did seem like a Cadillac on the freeway by comparison to the 950.

The bottom line for me (and the recent ride on the GS confirmed it) is I get excited about riding the 950 and find the GS to be a nice but bland ride.

05.5 950S, 8100 miles, already had to replace the water pump, 27-30 mpg off the highway, 42+ mpg on the highway, warranty fix of starter clutch, minor dents in the front rim.

Test ride one and see what happens…
Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #21
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Hello KTM guys and girls, I will be honest, I am a BMW GS guy but I am lacking some off road excitement. I am thinking about a KTM adventure the big one 950 or 990, for my daily transportation. I am a bike only guy I ride an 1150 GS every day no car. I take trips on my bike Mexico, Canada, Alaska and the BMW is great but some times I just want to open it up and rip on the off road and do some single track. The GS will go most places I want to go but it has to be done slower than I would like and frankly it just doesn’t have the suspension for hard off roading. All that said can I get some honest answers and if possible unbiased opinions/thoughts about your KTM’s abilities.

How about a list of questions and those that would could you answer the questions that you have an answer to?

I haven’t really seen any high mileage KTM 950 or 990’s are they out there?

Longevity, dependability, reliability?

What about the water pump issues any real issues or just over publicized?

Can you ride it every day and not have to fiddle with it?

Will the frame take a heavy load like luggage and a passenger?

Will it go to Alaska and back or through Copper Canyon Mexico with mo worries?

How about fuel range on a tank of Gas? Some times on trips its 700 miles or more on the boring highway.

Is it comfortable for an all day slab ride to get some where and then have fun?

Will it go all the way around with mo major issues?

Lets start there and see what kind of response I get. If there are other issues I am not addressing post them for me. Remember I need to able to ride this bike every day and it be like a Swiss watch (I know nothing is perfect).

Thank you in Advance.
Do yourself a favour and try a Husqvarna TE610. Enough power for solo pavement riding and way more than enough for off road. Excellent suspension and I at least have had great dealer back up.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #22
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
I would go at this expecting at least one problem with your 950/990. You will probably lose a water pump, or clutch, or starter limiter, but if you can fix it yourself and are aware of the symptoms you may not get much loss of use of your bike. I lost a water pump at about 7k miles and the starter limiter was replaced by KTM at arouns 5k miles. Since then I have put on more than 500 miles with no problems. I was going to get rid of the bike when I got the water pump fixed, but it is definetly fun and I'll give it another go round since it is the best on-off road machine made. I use it almost soley for road trips- it is so comfortable and practical. By the way the subframe is very stout. I get between 40-44 mpg.

"(Lets start there and see what kind of response I get. If there are other issues I am not addressing post them for me. Remember I need to able to ride this bike every day and it be like a Swiss watch (I know nothing is perfect)."

This is not your bike if you are serious about this aspect.

PS(Edit). I never make a descision on a bikes reliability based on something that can be fixed. However the KTM water pump issue is so far not fixable except for repeated rebuilding of the water pump. If it could be fixed I would not hesitate to recommend this bike as a reliable bike. I.E. The KLR doohickey problem is over when you replace the stock part- not so with the KTM water pump issue.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #23
KTOOMER
ad-vent-ure man

Oddometer: 533
love it..hate it...KTM issues with pump, STARTER and tough doing oil changes...bad for long distance do to mileage and small tank....personaly, I'm going back to a BMV 1200 ADV...more reliable

2005 KTM 450EXC
2007 BMW 1200ADV (ON ORDER)
W6ZZW
KTOOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #24
Uneasy Rider
The life of Riley

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOOMER
love it..hate it...KTM issues with pump, STARTER and tough doing oil changes...bad for long distance do to mileage and small tank....personaly, I'm going back to a BMV 1200 ADV...more reliable
I bet that 2004 HD CVO SOFTAIL of yours is a model of reliability & performance. LMFAO! Bye bye!!!
Uneasy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
That would look funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOOMER
Your name in a GS thread. It will be like a spy.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #26
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Do yourself a favour and try a Husqvarna TE610. Enough power for solo pavement riding and way more than enough for off road. Excellent suspension and I at least have had great dealer back up.
A pox on you! I am already in so much trouble with SWMBO for buying the 950 that I'm not allowed to look at another bike for years to come. I don't even want to know what I should be drooling over next.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #27
KTOOMER
ad-vent-ure man

acutally, i sold the HD CVO, but for the two years I owned it I had not a speck of trouble with it. As I read thru the issues the euro boys are having with the 990 FI, it pushed me back to the dark side of BMW..sorry, got real tired of the starter and other issues.

2005 KTM 450EXC
W6ZZW
Old 02-14-2007, 03:14 PM   #28
KTOOMER
ad-vent-ure man

oh by the way I still own the 450eXC and am buying a 680...

2005 KTM 450EXC
W6ZZW
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #29
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
My fookin' thrill meter is pegged. Do keep us up to date on your every little move.

-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #30
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
Categorically, I think that guys who buy a big DS and talk about 'wind management' as some kind of primary characteristic are probably suffering from a mismatch between their true riding objectives and their desire to appear to other motorcyclists as a tough, dust-covered adventurist.

That doesn't mean guys can't modify their windscreen. It just means those that prattle on about wind managment probably should be looking at getting a Connie or a ZZR or a Blackbird or a big, tubby GW or HD so they can hide behnd some big honkin' acrylic barn door.

Next.

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote