ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #31
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever
Categorically, I think that guys who buy a big DS and talk about 'wind management' as some kind of primary characteristic are probably suffering from a mismatch between their true riding objectives and their desire to appear to other motorcyclists as a tough, dust-covered adventurist.
If the windnoise on my 950 gives me a headache after the 100 mile ride to get to the closest sand and mud and rockfield off-road riding, does that mean I should trade the 950 on a BMW LT?
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #32
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
If the windnoise on Advrider about discomfort and dealer service makes my head hurt, does that mean I should start reading "Rider" magazine?
Fixed.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #33
gavP
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN
Zen,

Totally agree with you. I have had a sting of BMW's and none of them were any trouble. My 990 has been back to the dealer because it dumped it's clutch fluid and the back brake went spongy. I have also suffered a flat battery but wouldn't change it for anything. I love this bike, it's the most fun I have ever had on 2 wheels and I've been riding for 22 years.

Cheers

Mark
Agree with Mark, except only have had one BMW but a string of Honda's
gavP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #34
union jack
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Have to put the 'BMW/Honda more reliable' crap to bed. I've had a 1150 GS with complete brake servo failure (near fatal consequences) and a seized gear selector and an Africa Twin with cronic rust and fuel pump failure. Both these buggers left me stranded. I've clocked up more miles on the 950 than both these put together and all its done is spit the clutch slave. Pretty sorted machine really.
union jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #35
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,738
I've had the dreaded water pump issues with mine.

That said ... just fix it.

And then go to:

COPPER CANYON
(offroad, with a few back-to-back 14 hour slab days thrown in ... some fully loaded with boxes, spare tires, etc... )

...OR BAJA
(nearly all offroad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Hello KTM guys and girls, I will be honest, I am a BMW GS guy but I am lacking some off road excitement. I am thinking about a KTM adventure the big one 950 or 990, for my daily transportation. I am a bike only guy I ride an 1150 GS every day no car. I take trips on my bike Mexico, Canada, Alaska and the BMW is great but some times I just want to open it up and rip on the off road and do some single track. The GS will go most places I want to go but it has to be done slower than I would like and frankly it just doesn’t have the suspension for hard off roading. All that said can I get some honest answers and if possible unbiased opinions/thoughts about your KTM’s abilities.

How about a list of questions and those that would could you answer the questions that you have an answer to?

I haven’t really seen any high mileage KTM 950 or 990’s are they out there?

Longevity, dependability, reliability?

What about the water pump issues any real issues or just over publicized?

Can you ride it every day and not have to fiddle with it?

Will the frame take a heavy load like luggage and a passenger?

Will it go to Alaska and back or through Copper Canyon Mexico with mo worries?

How about fuel range on a tank of Gas? Some times on trips its 700 miles or more on the boring highway.

Is it comfortable for an all day slab ride to get some where and then have fun?

Will it go all the way around with mo major issues?

Lets start there and see what kind of response I get. If there are other issues I am not addressing post them for me. Remember I need to able to ride this bike every day and it be like a Swiss watch (I know nothing is perfect).

Thank you in Advance.
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #36
DonPatrick
2 cervezas por favor

Oddometer: 49
Wink To keep an old thread alive...

So when all is said and done, would you ("KTM 950/990 owners") jump on one of these bikes and ride it all the way down to South America (or South Africa for that sake) all of the above issues taken into consideration??

Or would the 640 KTM Adventure be a better option?

Does anyone know about the availability of KTM parts in Central and South America?

Thanks,

Patrick

2009 Honda Repsol 4RT - Trial!
2008 Suzuki DL650 - Wee!
DonPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #37
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Ktm

Ride it like you are mad at it,fix and repeat. It really works for me.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #38
tomdubz
getting there

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart
Ride it like you are mad at it,fix and repeat. It really works for me.
Amen! '09 990 12k mi in it's first season out of the gates (she was a leftover). Did the Trans Lab and that rail trail across Newfoundland. Here are the problems I've had: Mysterious ignition fry at 3k was replaced under warranty but not explainable/understandable, mystery stall at startup at 10k but I think it was chain lube buildup around side stand sensor b/c after thorough cleaning it has not happened again, and a bum scorpion bought in Canada that was a tank slapping good time.

As for the issues I'm having: incessant popping on decel. forces me to ride like a jackass (read: decel. avoidance), she gets hot, and I hear a funny chirp developing that may be suspension related.

Any insight on my current problems would be greatly appreciated.

My to-do list:
2:1 GPR
new spark plugs
full fork service (only changed oil @10k)
uni pre-filter

Debating/researching:
Cannisterectomy
EPC/SAS
throttle cam
rear suspension upgrade
R-map

Feel free to chime in on the debates.
maybe this is a thread hijack but hey, it's an old one.

I'm not in love per say but I sure am obsessed.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #39
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPatrick
So when all is said and done, would you ("KTM 950/990 owners") jump on one of these bikes and ride it all the way down to South America (or South Africa for that sake) all of the above issues taken into consideration??

Or would the 640 KTM Adventure be a better option?

Does anyone know about the availability of KTM parts in Central and South America?

Thanks,

Patrick
My 2004 just turned 50k miles and never had any issues other then routine maintenance. I only ride mine on trips, so not sure if it's much of a commuter. But I wouldn't ride it to any of those distant places. It's too big and heavy. I'd rather take a KLR.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #40
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,408
My 05.5 950 has been stellar. 40K Miles with No real issues. I did replace the fuel pump about 2000 miles ago out of paranoia. Still have the original water pump assembly, Replaced the internals of the clutch slave because I was given one free of charge. Mine looked fine when I removed it. Renazco seat, Kaoko cruise control, taller windscreen, and a set of CJRacer peg extensions are really the only mods it needed. I have a set of Conti Trail Attack tires and they are amazing for pavement and do pretty good in the dirt. Never enjoyed a machine more than this one.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #41
Brettdb11
n00b

Oddometer: 9
So, I have a KLR in my stable....Does yours have carbon fibre parts??
Brettdb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #42
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,874

I have an '02 GS...........I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country on paved or mild dirt roads tomorrow...........

I just bought an '04 950 Adv.........very well sorted imho......this summer........... and within a week had taken it +1000 miles over dirt roads, double and single track that I wouldn't consider taking my GS over...........no problems whatsoever....................

It had 21K on the odo when I bought it...........I don't plan to give it to anyone else for another 30K at least.........

I think that when you ride a dirt bike hard, you better expect to sort it out occasionally...........just a matter of fact........and you should appreciate where it can take you ...................
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #43
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Hello folks,

I am also an ex-GS rider and nowadays I am seriously looking for a '06 990 EFI which is 40k kms on the clock.

I think I know all the general issues, comparisons and some chronics points but

I'd like to hear, what points on the bike should I take care when I go to see the bike?

I mean, if this is going to be a new GS I think I can check many different points as I am kinda experienced on it.

But when it is a 990 I really need some good recommendations.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #44
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8rider
I ride quite often with a mate who like you owns a 1150GS. When we stop to fill up we always seem to put the same amount in (unless I have a mad moment and give it the berries). If I'm being a good boy, I can get anywhere between 43 to 49 mpg, that's given me 230 ish miles to a tank. When I'm not being a good boy, I get a lot less mpg, but by then I don't care either .
Oh, as for reliability, it's more reliable than my ex ever was (better ride as well).
I have 34,000 miles on my 5.5 950 and that being said...expect to have to replace one water pump shaft and seal and after that, once the cooling system has been completely flushed once you should not ever have to replace the shaft and bearings in the water pump again as long as the water pump bearing fits are not buggered up after the first rebuild. I don't expect to have to do any more than just replace the seal every 20,000 miles of so from now on..Seal cost $8...Newer Adventures have had most all of the other known bugs like real brake master cylinder, fuel pump and clutch slave cylinder failures worked out...
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #45
tcskibike2008
SnowHawker

Oddometer: 195
I bought a third hand late 2004 950 ADV, it now has almost 30K miles. When I got it the fuel pump failed, easy inexpensive fix, then I did the water pump as a precaution.

I ride regularly with my friend who has a GS, we trade off once and a while. When I get back on mine I understand why I love it so much. Its an offroad racing machine where the BMW is a offroad-ish cruiser.
tcskibike2008 is offline   Reply With Quote