Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #61
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I am all about longevity on any machine cars, bikes...

IMO the LC8 period is one of the strongest motors out there for an all around machine that can get you anywhere in both style and comfort not to mention the amount of customs mods you can do to the bike to make it fit 'you' better makes it one of the winners out there for sure.

There are numerous bikes out there that have well known long lasting motors many Japanese engines are very good designs among others and treat any machine well i.e. water pumps, clutch replacements / upgrades are typical of ANY and EVERY long lasting machine.

On a final note a buddy of mine that I ride with has over 110,000kms on his 2004 950 ADV that's over 70,000 miles. The local dealership he goes to has a love / hate relationship with because they know he will just never buy another bike,...

basically if your unhappy with your ADV spend a another $1k or $2k in upgrades / mods / engine mods etc and its like buying a whole new bike!

in the end go Orange!
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #62
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
I have my 04 KTM 950 adv S about 6 months now and use it daily for commuting and for fun when I can. I had it off road proper for the first time last Saturday and it was outstanding. Everyone there commented on how well it preformed in the 6 hours we where out. In the 6 months I've had it I've clocked up over 5000 Kms. There's now 28700kms approx on the clock. I did a full service before hitting the tracks and trails (chain, sprokets, oil filters and collant change) and as I was coming up on the 30000km mark I did the water pump rebuild with the how to on here. I also have gone through a back tyre and am half way through its replacement.

It puts a smile on my face even just looking out the window at it under the cover. When I'm on it i've a grin the width of my face.

I was a BMW R1150GS owner but switched to an Africa twin and then to KTM.
Orange is now in my blood and the 950 is my second KTM.

Looking at the market now there is nothin that draws me like the 950 adv S. I will change it some day to a 990 adv R but that's a long way away and when I do buy a 990 advR the 950 adv S won't be going anywhere if I can keep it.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #63
Dellis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I've had 2 x 1150 GS's a 1200 GS and a 1200 GSA and between them have covered around 120,000 miles. The two 1150's were trouble free the 1200's less so with both bikes having final drives around the 30,000 mark and numerous other minor issues. I traded my GSA in against a new 990 Adventure in March 2012, have since covered 25,000 miles and couldn't be happier with the change. I ride two up mostly and generally have camping gear too so yes it does handle weight. When it comes to reliability I've had a rear master cylinder leak and a corroded connector on the ignition circuit which upset the ABS but that was a simple fix and will be replaced with a waterproof connector. Comfort wise it's not quite as good the saddle isn't as plush but on the positive the saddle is narrower and I find this aids comfort, I've done a 900 mile day on it and was ok. Blondie, my girlfriend, says the pillion saddle is just as comfy as the GS but space is more restricted.

For me the GS is better on the motorway but in all other areas I prefer the KTM and as I only use motorways to join up the interesting bits then I'm happy with the compromise. My riding is pretty much all tarmac and I prefer bendy rural roads to anything else and the KTM is much better than the GS in that respect. Oh and one other thing the KTM brakes feel softer than the GS but they do the job. One other drawback with the KTM is the service intervalls 4,500 miles rather than the BMW 6,000 miles - I self service so it isn't the end of the world but having said that the 9,000 mile service is an all day job.

That's my two pence worth.

Dave