Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #136
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,127
Ok, as if I don't have enough to do, while waiting for a tool for the Willys and a crank for the Buell, I decided to work on the K11p I picked up. Decided to change the front tire, already did the rear, change front shoes, fork oil and grease the steering bearings. As with all my projects, it went to hell. Well, not really.

Original tire!

Little shoes...

Finally found the rim strips I ordered.

Heating tire out in the sun to soften.

Voila, the wonders of the internet, it's on!

Uh-oh, the bearing races have detents in it, checked all around, no internet suppliers have them listed.

Well, that's another bike dead in the water.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #137
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Try All Balls for a taper bearing replacement. Moose may have as well. You can always measure and get taper bearings from a local bearing supplier. Not dead yet. Coincidently I have a replacement kit coming this week for my KE100. It also has ball style stock. I'll let you know how it goes.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #138
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintSix View Post
Try All Balls for a taper bearing replacement. Moose may have as well. You can always measure and get taper bearings from a local bearing supplier. Not dead yet. Coincidently I have a replacement kit coming this week for my KE100. It also has ball style stock. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks SS, I'll check them out.

unknown
Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #139
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 445
You've done all that and all I've done is ruin two brand new tubes trying to get the tire on. I need some of that "voila, the internet" stuff. This is getting expensive.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #140
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
You've done all that and all I've done is ruin two brand new tubes trying to get the tire on. I need some of that "voila, the internet" stuff. This is getting expensive.
The key is to put some air into the tubes so it retains some shape. Then I slap alot of baby powder on the tubes so they can slip and adjust. Pop the first bead on the the rim, pull tire away from rim and slip tube into tire, push tube to the "bottom" of the tire and slowly work the last bead on while pushing down on the tire so the tube can stay seated in the bottom, away from your levers. Just be careful when levering the last bead on to not pinch the tube. Good luck.

unknown
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #141
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

BTW, these are pretty key pieces, very stiff plastic wedges that I use to hold the tire in the valley while levering on the tire.

unknown
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #142
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Well, got the first one off easily enough, but ruined two tubes trying to get a new one on.

bwringer offered to help and I took it up to his place last night. He graciously showed how to properly install the tire and got it installed for me.

All this while he hosted a group of riders from thegsresources.com in town for the Indy MotoGP.

Very much appreciate his help and the lesson in how to install new rubber and balance the tire.

Of course, he also told me that Cycle-Recycle II will install them for $12 a tire. Hmmmm...tackle the rear so I'll know how to do this job? Just drop it off and pick it done? Decisions, decisions.

WIll probably tackle it just to prove to myself that I'm not utterly clueless.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #143
Daryl_Stamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Nice thread about old bike resto; a good friend had one of those Tempters; got a lot more use than the boss's mega $ chopper. His looked really beat & leaked oil so bad he had rags wired to the jugs to keep it off his pants. It was a real bike though. Got a lot of use and created a lot of smiles. Old's Cool. Makes me want to find a project to fiddle with.......
Old 10-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #144
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

The squeaky suspension

VTwin;
Just wondering if you tore the suspension down and greased everything before replacing the shock. Mine really squeaky and I am considering tearing it all down and greasing everything, but not replacing the shock. It seems to work okay and I don't have the $ needed to replace it just now.

Pointless? Might work? Not sure because you replaced the shock while in there?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #145
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
VTwin;
Just wondering if you tore the suspension down and greased everything before replacing the shock. Mine really squeaky and I am considering tearing it all down and greasing everything, but not replacing the shock. It seems to work okay and I don't have the $ needed to replace it just now.

Pointless? Might work? Not sure because you replaced the shock while in there?

When I had it apart, I did grease all the needle bearings. The squeek came from the top spherical bearing in the top of the shock. I could have spent the $40 for the bearing, but would have still ended up with a 28 year old shock. Look closely and you can see the rust.

You may be able to squirt some lube in there to quiet it down, but pretty sure it's worn.

unknown
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #146
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Afraid the Mighty Tempter is a little less mighty right now. It feels like it has a miss at around 4K rpms. Doesn't matter if it's under a load or just reving to 4K, I can feel it. Plug on the left side looks good, the one on the right looks a bit lean, whitish. So I'm thinking I have a lean miss on the right side or possibly the coil or wire breaking down. Not sure. Any hints? Seems to run ok at freeway speeds, at 5K though.

unknown
Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #147
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Hmmm...haven't had issue with mine yet (on this anyway,) but the charging system is apparently quite suspect. I think I remember that you changed the rectifier/regulator, right?

Take a look at this material from thegsresources.com site: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

Might prove helpful
Old 10-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #148
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Hey, VTwin,

Have you changed your chain and sprockets? If yes, what tooth count did you go to? Thinking I'd like to change things out to get a better chain and to drop the engine revs at highway speed.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #149
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

I replaced the front c/s with a 16t and the rear left alone. I forget what the stock rear gearing is. I live in a somewhat hilly area and would not go more than I have or it would be too hard on the clutch. I can easily do 70mph at around 5K rpm, the bike's sweet spot. As to the regulator and rectifier, I did replace both. The regulator is one of Rick's and the rec was an nos on ebay. Charging is still iffy, but that may be because my regulator touched the hot side of the solenoid and smoked the ground wire I had going to the regulator. I use a battery tender when I don't ride it more than a few days. I am thinking of getting one of those charging minders with the colored led light. I plan on placing it in the "6th" gear indicator spot since it's not used on our bikes.

unknown
Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 AM   #150
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
I replaced the front c/s with a 16t and the rear left alone. I forget what the stock rear gearing is. I live in a somewhat hilly area and would not go more than I have or it would be too hard on the clutch. I can easily do 70mph at around 5K rpm, the bike's sweet spot. As to the regulator and rectifier, I did replace both. The regulator is one of Rick's and the rec was an nos on ebay. Charging is still iffy, but that may be because my regulator touched the hot side of the solenoid and smoked the ground wire I had going to the regulator. I use a battery tender when I don't ride it more than a few days. I am thinking of getting one of those charging minders with the colored led light. I plan on placing it in the "6th" gear indicator spot since it's not used on our bikes.
70 at 5k sounds pretty good. I know in the Cycle World long-term review they went to a 17 tooth in front and were much happier, but I wanted to hear from a guy still riding one . Indy area is pretty flat, but I'm hoping not to just ride here.

The PO had swapped out the regulator before I got it and I've not had any issues once I figured out that the battery was just weak enough to act sorta normal, but wasn't.

That charging warning light makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info.