User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 01:02 AM   #61
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,268
Something that is half-way between a multi-blade money hole and a facial near-death experience is one of the old gilette single blade double edged razors. They do a good job, and a pack of 10 blades (that means 20 edges!) is less than $1.50.

The down side is that I bet you cut the crap out of your face a few times before you get the hang of it. I posted this earlier, but I've found the best one is a razor that has a graduated ring that you can twist and it adjusts the blade. I figure this out by buying a collection of about 20 razors off ebay and using different ones for a few days until I found one that I liked.

Be warned that if you slide the razor sideways even a fraction of an inch you will cut yourself, but not as bad as a straight razor. You might want to hit up an antique store or 2 and pick up one, I bet you can get a razor, then go to wal mart for a pack of blades and it will cost less than $5 total.

Try it for a while and then decide if you want to try using a straight razor or if you're comfortable with that.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #62
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Something that is half-way between a multi-blade money hole and a facial near-death experience is one of the old gilette single blade double edged razors. They do a good job, and a pack of 10 blades (that means 20 edges!) is less than $1.50.
My wife uses that to shave my head. I don't shave my whiskers anymore.

I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #63
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
I don't get that, I've never used a mirror to shave, don't need too, just shave in the shower, no problems. Why do you need a mirror?
I guess I don't need one, but it sure makes it a lot easier. I can tell where I've shaved (or not) by whether there's shaving gel (or not).
Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #64
Lurch II
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Been using a DE razor during the week and a straight on weekends when I have the time to go slow for many years. My experience is that the straight gives a closer shave once you get it properly honed. The DE (I use a Merkur) is good during the week when I am more rushed. The straight is as much about the whole experience as it is about shaving. Long hot shower, hot lather, etc. I use a brush and cake soap all the time. Blades for the DE - $2.50 for 10. Beats the crap out of the multi-blades from Schick and Gillette price wise and doesn't leave my face any where near as raw.

Shawn
2007 R1200GSA - Lurch II (his)
2007 R1200GS - Wickd (hers)
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." - W. Somerset Maugham
Lurch II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #65
Ken OBSC
-6.12, -7.64

Oddometer: 37,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdzach
I need to get one of those. I hate shaving in front of the sink where all the run off hits the floor, but I carve myself up good when I shave in teh shower because I can't see what I'm doing.

Just the thought of dropping the wet razor gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Just saying.

Old Bastards Scooter Club (Yahoo)
----------
With Age comes Wisdom

More Intellectual Fire Power than the entire wing-nuttery.

Ken OBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #66
Ken OBSC
-6.12, -7.64

Oddometer: 37,553
Quote:

The down side is that I bet you cut the crap out of your face a few times before you get the hang of it. I posted this earlier, but I've found the best one is a razor that has a graduated ring that you can twist and it adjusts the blade. I figure this out by buying a collection of about 20 razors off ebay and using different ones for a few days until I found one that I liked.

Be warned that if you slide the razor sideways even a fraction of an inch you will cut yourself, but not as bad as a straight razor. You might want to hit up an antique store or 2 and pick up one, I bet you can get a razor, then go to wal mart for a pack of blades and it will cost less than $5 total.

Try it for a while and then decide if you want to try using a straight razor or if you're comfortable with that.

Years ago I bought a Hoffritz shaving set. Double-edged safety razor, all chromed came in a chrome case lined in blue velvet. It was incredibly cool.

I gave it to my oldest son when he reached shaving age.

It gave a great shave, but my Norelcos do almost as well with a hell of a lot less fuss.

Old Bastards Scooter Club (Yahoo)
----------
With Age comes Wisdom

More Intellectual Fire Power than the entire wing-nuttery.

Ken OBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #67
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
I have my great-grandpa's. I take it out every now and then for a shave when I'm feeling daring, or have just forgotten how fucking stupid I look with bits of toilet paper stuck to my mug
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #68
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtguy
I used to go to a barber in Bozeman who used a straight razer. I never got a full shave from him, but when he was done cutting your hair, he would lather up the hot menthol shave foam around the edges and back of the neck and shave with the blade. It was great, always felt like a new man after that.
Same deal here. My barber is Simon, from Russia, and he works at Gio's on East Bell Road in Phoenix. Great haircut, small money. He does full shaves, too, and received a "best of" award for that some years ago in the Phoenix New Times.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #69
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,435
I have some great very old straight razors of my grandfather's...he died in 1962 (born in 1875)....pearl handle jobs....cool piece of equipment...he used them to shave himself every day...and he was blind !

for me?...the 12 for $2 bic doubles.. while in the shower work fine...besides a good close shave is a temporary state anyway.
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #70
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
My 94 year old grandfather used a straight razor. Whenever I've discussed trying it myself, he has strongly recommended against it! He wouldn't go back to it, that's for sure.

So, I have yet to try it, and am currently using a double blade.

But, I did purchase a really cool barber set from Japan. A few years ago, on eBay. The set is so old my native born and raised Japanese wife can't read the kanji! It seems hand-crafted, perhaps by former sword makers. One small scissors, one large scissors and one straight blade. Each piece has a straight hamon (temper line, like the swords). One of these days I may try some facial "harakiri."
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #71
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Getting it straight-- the razor obsessed shaving megathread

I have decided that I am going to get a TRUE clean shave the more purist way, so I am going to purchase a straight razor (and hey, maybe make a smaller environmental impact in the process !)

Can anyone offer advice ?

So far I am drawn towards the Dovo brand (can anyone rank the brand names compared to say... General motors vehicles ? ex: GMC, Chev, Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Saturn, Cadillac, Corvette etc...)

I have a brush and soap dish with soap - what else do I need after the razor.

It may seem Silly, more time intensive, more difficult...

...but it's a Man's shave.

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #72
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911
...but it's a Man's shave.

Real "Men" don't shave.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #73
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,104
You're going to need a strop -- a belt for honing the blade. And lots of little bits of tp to stick to the little nicks you'll give yourself until you get the feel for it...
huzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:46 AM   #74
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,591
I've read here somewhere that the nurses apparently use a tennis ball to help stretch a scrotum for shaving. I think my hands would tremble in fear too much to trust a cut-throat razor. But seriously, why not one of the old style single blade razors with the double sides that go into a screw head shaver. I'm thinking of doing a big trip soon and that's what I'll probably carry. Spent ages shaving without foam or soap or even water so not going to bother next time either.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #75
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
www.badgerandblade.com

Like advrider for cutthroats

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: