Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #136
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,912
Love that pic of you crossing the "bridge" with a look of total optimistic trepidation!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #137
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
I'm planning on doing an exploratory ride this weekend if anyone is interested in riding. Hoping to make it to the Oklahoma border on minimal pavement from Shreveport, La.

PM me if you are interested.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #138
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
It's good to see you back at it. A link from the Gulf up to the TAT would be a cool thing.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #139
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
It's good to see you back at it. A link from the Gulf up to the TAT would be a cool thing.

Bruce, You should come down and help!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #140
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
This is a GREAT project! For once, I kinda wish I was back in S'port so I could help you along. Grew up in South Ar too, so that would be fun working on an Arky route as well.

Keep up the work.

Might be pm'ing you soon. I am in Wichita Falls TX now and am planning my first DS ride with a buddy. Maybe LOT would suit our time constraints.

THANKS!!!!!!
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #141
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,380
I don't know what is wrong with Louisiana. They keep sealing perfectly good gravel roads. We are running out of them fast below US 190. I have a few gravel road runs from US 190 to LA 26 crossing US 90. But only a few. How long before they seal these ??????
There are no Gravel Roads from LA 26 to the Gulf. In fact, only 3 Paved roads from Abbeville, La. to Sulphur, La. On I-10, that would mean that from Lafayette, La. to the Texas border you have 3 roads that will get you to the gulf and one road along the gulf , LA 82.

There is one heck of a broken up black top road from North of Basile to Near Oakdale. Much fun. Not too hard to connect up with the Forest Hill area to these with some pretty fun blacktop in some hilly and not a lot of traffic areas.
A person can do this route on anything from a crusier ( not enjoyable though ) to a DR350SE. I running this stuff on my KLR and Bandit 1250S now. So you don't need knobbies and a big dual sport unless you just wanna play the part. ;-).

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #142
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
I don't know what is wrong with Louisiana. They keep sealing perfectly good gravel roads. We are running out of them fast below US 190. I have a few gravel road runs from US 190 to LA 26 crossing US 90. But only a few. How long before they seal these ??????
There are no Gravel Roads from LA 26 to the Gulf. In fact, only 3 Paved roads from Abbeville, La. to Sulphur, La. On I-10, that would mean that from Lafayette, La. to the Texas border you have 3 roads that will get you to the gulf and one road along the gulf , LA 82.

There is one heck of a broken up black top road from North of Basile to Near Oakdale. Much fun. Not too hard to connect up with the Forest Hill area to these with some pretty fun blacktop in some hilly and not a lot of traffic areas.
A person can do this route on anything from a crusier ( not enjoyable though ) to a DR350SE. I running this stuff on my KLR and Bandit 1250S now. So you don't need knobbies and a big dual sport unless you just wanna play the part. ;-).
My wife and I went to south Louisiana to visit some friends.... or she went to visit friends, I went to check out routes.

My route pretty much stops at Leesville... for there are no logical routes after that . It might be easier to cross into Texas at Leesville and continue south than it would be to try and continue in La.

Crossing into Texas west of Shreveport looks promising. For some reason, MapSource distinguishes different road surfaces over in Texas more than here..... dashed lines are tracks, very light, thin lines are unpaved, darker thin lines are paved/unpaved, even darker and thicker are paved and on from there. I've got a route using this sort of method picked out, hoping there wont be any gates!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #143
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Somewhere along the line I lost a lot of the photos on this thread... between refusing to be robbed by Smugmug to switching around and organizing photos in photobucket.

I figgered' I'd put a few photos up to share some of the good times had on the LOT.

Yes that is where he landed.... and yes its a common occurance for this fella's bike to be on its side!

The reason I call it the "outback trail"
Old 07-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #144
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Hey guys,
I am planning a ride from SW of Shreveport west into Texas and up to the Oklahoma border. This is mainly a recon ride into unkown territory.

My goal is to connect my "Louisiana Outback Trail" to the Trans America Trail, via NE Texas and and SE Oklahoma, by as many dirt roads and back roads.... I've got a guesstimated route planned, but like I said, its unknown territory.

This will be Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Camping is likely, im too cheap for a hotel.

Looking for 2-3 riders to join me.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #145
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Hey guys,
I am planning a ride from SW of Shreveport west into Texas and up to the Oklahoma border. This is mainly a recon ride into unkown territory.

My goal is to connect my "Louisiana Outback Trail" to the Trans America Trail, via NE Texas and and SE Oklahoma, by as many dirt roads and back roads.... I've got a guesstimated route planned, but like I said, its unknown territory.

This will be Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Camping is likely, im too cheap for a hotel.

Looking for 2-3 riders to join me.
It is a only a 6 hours ride to S'port from The Falls.

What weekend did you have in mind? If I can get my honey do list, in order, I might could swing some time to join you on this.

Do you have any routes in mind? If I can't get off work on the Friday, maybe we could intersect??

Currently planning a Oct 9-13 TAT ride from Helena, AR into OK as far as we can go.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #146
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy
It is a only a 6 hours ride to S'port from The Falls.

What weekend did you have in mind? If I can get my honey do list, in order, I might could swing some time to join you on this.

Do you have any routes in mind? If I can't get off work on the Friday, maybe we could intersect??

Currently planning a Oct 9-13 TAT ride from Helena, AR into OK as far as we can go.
Me and another are heading out bright n early tomorrow morning. You've got all afternoon for the honey do list! I would have to study my maps again to give you an intersect though. The route that I have drawn up brings us to exit 628 on I-20... but that may change.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #147
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Quote:
Me and another are heading out bright n early tomorrow morning. You've got all afternoon for the honey do list! I would have to study my maps again to give you an intersect though. The route that I have drawn up brings us to exit 628 on I-20... but that may change.
Damn... I don't think there is a way. I bought fence material today and am replacing the two front sections of my fence in the AM. Already bribed a buddy to help. Where will y'all be Saturday afternoon evening?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #148
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy
Damn... I don't think there is a way. I bought fence material today and am replacing the two front sections of my fence in the AM. Already bribed a buddy to help. Where will y'all be Saturday afternoon evening?
Good question.... I'm sending you a PM..
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #149
hoggjaww
DOG ASS

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
This information, instead of being the stingey bastige like I used to be, will be posted on ADVrider.

The route extends (so far) from Leesville, La to Shreveport, La. Covering some 170 miles of dirt roads, trails. I will include in the route info different loops which are interesting, bypasses, POIs, campgrounds, and the things mentioned below.

I will post the routes in .gpx and .gdp formats. I will try to include gas and food waypoints. On here, I will also include the better restaurants to visit, as well as locations of motorcycle shops just in case.

All I ask in return for posting the routes, is that if you do ride the route, to post pictures here or a link to your ride report. Does this seem fair?

FOR SOME REASON, I have lost all of my route info, except the northern portion which I just rode.

Here is a pic to wet your appettite
Have you recovered any route info yet?

Harry
hoggjaww is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #150
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggjaww
Have you recovered any route info yet?

Harry
Just what I've produced north of Natchitoches recently.. I'll put it up with whatever i get this weekend.