Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #151
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
A ride yesterday... nearly the end of me.....

Started off boring... and late. Took off from the house around 10 and blasted up the interstate to get to the start of my ride.

I'm going to the midget sized hills in the background....

Can you see them? You can barely see them in person....

The benefit of going up hill.... curves!

Its a curvy road but the curvy fun is cut short by a fork onto the dirt.

Go a little ways through the green tunnels and I spot a trail going down a pipe line. No posted signs.... U turn and sharp left wheelying over the burm opposit the ditch.

If you cant judge from the picture... this is no place to try and travel on a motorbike when wet.

Given the trail was rarely used, there were some trees blown down that you had to have fun crossing. This one was a breeze.. another farther down (no photo) required a wheely to cross.

Creek crossing. Not too bad, but I am loaded down and expected the bottom to be softer.... so again, using my load, I wheelied across.

I hate logging. Unfortunately, it looked like this area needed it... It looked like a lot of the pine trees had bugs. The others were just logged.

You can see where I came from... the lighter green slot in the trees. About 4 miles of this pipeline.

Where I'm going....

Umm. I dont remember the last time it rained... maybe this is a bit of a spring up on the top of the hill?
Nice fun sand too

Picked up a cool little hitch hiker going down the pipeline.

I love praying mantids. I bought a cup of them one time from a garden supply store. You put them in your garden and they eat the pesky bugs that eat your crops in your garden. I had something like 100 in the cup. Had hundreds more the next year. The year after that... didnt see a one.

Another thing that pisses me right off.... killing these awesome snakes. This snake was in the middle of no where. No houses within miles. But, it was run over and rattles cut off and from the look of it, beaten with a shovel.

This is a canebrake rattle snake, a subspecies of the timber rattler. This one is about as big as they get in the wild. This ole girl was probably 20 years old or older. Stupid ass rednecks. Its a shame people are afraid of animals so much smaller than them.

About 4 ft long.

I had seen some horse tracks in the sand a few miles back... when I rounded a curve I was suprised to see these folks.

I had stopped at an intersection to consult the map, giving the folks time to catch up so I could ask them questions...

The ol coger on the second wagon asked if i "needed the mules to 'rastle that ther bike." I said nah, i reckon i'm good. They asked what if I was lost... I told them I'm not lost but I dont know where I'm going... they got a kick out of that so I explained my trail and that I am just exploring new places to go and connecting more dirt. They were like... oh... alright!

I asked what they were doing and they said just enjoying the sunday and out for a ride. (atleast I'm not the only one)

They lived just up the road at the house in the photo... on a chicken farm. Chicken farmers.

I picked the smelliest spot to stop too. Chicken poo.

I wanted to check out a town I had never been to before to make sure they had gas just in case. Yep. $4.10/gal when prices are 3.90 elsewhere. Cool little general store. When I pulled up, the pumps had a little sign saying to double the cost when pumped. Cool.

Onward.

Was checking a "road" that showed up on my GPS. It was grown up and gated/fenced at one fork and sure enough on the other. It was fun and tight.

Nice hog wallow on the Old Marthaville Rd

The fence. The GPS indicated the road went between those trees. Shoot. Turn around...
And ride through this

Miles later.... I thought this was cool... looked better in person for some reason.

Dangerous chicken farms! Keep out. Makes you wonder what you are eating....

Thats pilgrims pride, by the way.

I went all the way down this road and never saw a bridge.... maybe thats why its bad?

Notice the grooves in the road? Yeh. they sucked.

Hey look... Im in the no mans land! This is State Line road between Louisiana(on Left) and Texas.

Logansport, La

YOU MAY WANT TO PASS UP READING FARTHER THAN THIS IF YOU HAVE A SENSITIVE STOMACHE. Might be considered disqusting by some/all.

I had a great ride today, covering nearly 250 miles of ground alot of that being new to me. I was on my way home today... hmm today.... last temperature I saw was 96* at about 3:00. I'm sure the heat index is close to 110* today... Nearly home, I began feeling like I need use the bathroom, kept getting worse. I was about 2 miles from home and the feeling kept getting worse... then I began hyper ventilating... I was pretty close to a friends house by this point and turned onto his road... as soon as I did, I blacked out for a second where I couldnt see.... I had to keep the bike upright and straight for just a few hundred feet... hope I was going straight and then turn into my friends drive way. I honked the horn when i pulled up... hoping he would come out to help... he wasnt home. I laid down across my tankbag and blacked out again... this time I heaved.... so I leaned over and vommited... several times.

I still felt like I had to use the bathroom.... so I got off th ebike and went to my friends door.... I fell against the door and knocked... no one answered. I knew he wouldnt mind if I went in, but the door was locked.... by now I am panicing. I went around the back of the house nearly fainting 2 more times till i get to his lawn mower and sit on the front tire to catch my breath. This is when I had to relieve myself next to his lawn mower..... I finish and then go back to the bike and sit down on a milk crate and call my wife to come get me. By this time my friend gets home and gets me a cool glass of water and lets me properly use his bathroom...... he laughed about the little "incident" in the back yard by the way...

So, what I am thinking.... I had a rootbeer float around 3:00. Then about 5:00 I stopped and refilled my camelback with water and ice. Rode for probably 30 minutes before my stomache started hurting.... not like aching from ice, but needing to use the bathroom.....

I dont know what happened to me... I've never fainted before, nor have I had this sort of problem.

I thought I might share with you guys and see what your thoughts are of this situation and why I got sick.

Sorry for the grossness of it though...
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #152
Nichelob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Dude. You are a pioneer. You probably caught something near that chicken farm. Blaze us a new trail man! Just got on this thread, keep em coming!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #153
3dcrazed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Great scouting report LaOutbackTrail. I'm in Houston and would like to join you on one of your planned rides.

Sickness could be a combination of things, heat, disagreement with the rootbeer float, dehydration, blood sugar, compounded by long day in saddle.

3dcrazed screwed with this post 07-30-2008 at 12:18 AM
3dcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #154
keg0900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I love this thread. we need this in Alabama then maybe could link to yours in LA.

www.thunderroadsalabama.com
keg0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #155
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,852
Scott- It's cooling off and getting time to rally the troops for another overnighter.

How's about 3 or 4 weeks out for an extended yard pass weekend and getting together for some riding in October....any weekend but the Cub Scout Fam Camp Oct. 3rd.

Dirty
Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #156
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez
Scott- It's cooling off and getting time to rally the troops for another overnighter.

How's about 3 or 4 weeks out for an extended yard pass weekend and getting together for some riding in October....any weekend but the Cub Scout Fam Camp Oct. 3rd.

Dirty
For once in my life... I've began using a calendar.... October is pretty well booked. I've actually got a real job now.... Looks like I'll have to re-arrange my work schedule to go to the events I'm wanting to attend.

Let me work out with my boss what weekends I have to work.

Possibly September 27-28, but that may be too soon.

Once I get some of my schedule sorted out, I'd like to get a good plan going and get at least 10 folks to join.

GPS routes, hotels arranged, good food and good times.

Who else is interested in this ride?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #157
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Egads! A real job. I feel your pain, This thing they call a J. O. B. job has been cutting into my free time for quite some time now. I have been known to be a slow learner at times, but I finally came to this realization last Tuesday.

The weekend of Sept. 27th is free for me.

Hotelling it or tenting it? Tenting is good so long as it's not in the side yard of those folks with Roofus, the dog that does not sleep.

Anyone else?

Buhler? Buhler?

Dirty
Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #158
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

For More Info: CLICK HERE
Old 09-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #159
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Scott- I've got the weekend locked in, barring another Himicaine, flooding of biblical proportion, or locust.

I'll be there and will even be armed with plenty of Loctite freebies for everyone.

I just did a search for temps we should expect and found:
69F for the average high
48F for the average low
58F for the overall average for this weekend.

Are you thinking about Natchitoches as being the base for Saturday and Sunday with a Sat. overnight there in town?

Am looking forward to the ride, the friends, and the tall tales.

Dirty
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #160
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez
Scott- I've got the weekend locked in, barring another Himicaine, flooding of biblical proportion, or locust.

I'll be there and will even be armed with plenty of Loctite freebies for everyone.

I just did a search for temps we should expect and found:
69F for the average high
48F for the average low
58F for the overall average for this weekend.

Are you thinking about Natchitoches as being the base for Saturday and Sunday with a Sat. overnight there in town?

Am looking forward to the ride, the friends, and the tall tales.

Dirty

That's right. We'll start the ride at 9:00 Saturday morning and we will take the northern part of my "Louisiana Outback Trail" then have lunch in Mansfield, La. From Mansfield we will make a loop north.

The northern route includes more pavement and hwy. Not enough to deter anyone though!

Sunday we'll have two routes. A true dual sport ride with some twisties... wait, what? Twisties in Louisiana? Yep, the best I've found. The route passes some of Louisiana's great plantations. Then we'll hit the dirt.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #161
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Plenty to do here...

Old 09-28-2008, 04:16 AM   #162
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
T
Sunday we'll have two routes. A true dual sport ride with some twisties... wait, what? Twisties in Louisiana? Yep, the best I've found. The route passes some of Louisiana's great plantations. Then we'll hit the dirt.
Give it up! Road name, number or the like.

Heck , I kinda thought 191 along side Toledo Bend was about one of the best roads in Louisiana.
I don't do serious dirt any more than gravel or hard pack but love exploring those either on my KLR or Bandit. Was surprised at the handling of the Bandit in gravel, not too bad. Not to my old BMW GS standards but dang close to my DL1000. Maybe a bit better due to the lower center of gravity.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #163
cruisaders
Cruisaders Scooter Co.

Oddometer: 23
Tiger on the trail

Scott,

For a quick frame of referrence, I met you at the Long Way Down Movie, I was riding the 08 KLR. I'm interested in the Nov run but I traded the KLR in on a 05 Tiger! (Absolutely NO regrets about that move)

Hows the trail look for the Tiger? If I ask Evan or Josh they'll say 'ride it' without any true concern for the survivability of the motorcycle itself.

I'll ride anything just about anywhere, I'm the guy that rode the scooter on the TranAm trail through Arkansas but I don't want to tear up the Tiger.

Looking forward to the possibility of going on the ride.

Doug
cruisaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #164
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Give it up! Road name, number or the like.

Heck , I kinda thought 191 along side Toledo Bend was about one of the best roads in Louisiana.
I don't do serious dirt any more than gravel or hard pack but love exploring those either on my KLR or Bandit. Was surprised at the handling of the Bandit in gravel, not too bad. Not to my old BMW GS standards but dang close to my DL1000. Maybe a bit better due to the lower center of gravity.
I'll "give it up" when you come on the ride!!!

Bring the KLR up so you can enjoy both day's rides. Nothing serious on saturday, but sunday's ride can be serious or mellow. Working on the sunday route still. The National Forest messed up a lot of my plans with their trail closures! Damn ATV riders decimating the endangered freshwater mussel population!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #165
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisaders
Scott,

For a quick frame of referrence, I met you at the Long Way Down Movie, I was riding the 08 KLR. I'm interested in the Nov run but I traded the KLR in on a 05 Tiger! (Absolutely NO regrets about that move)

Hows the trail look for the Tiger? If I ask Evan or Josh they'll say 'ride it' without any true concern for the survivability of the motorcycle itself.

I'll ride anything just about anywhere, I'm the guy that rode the scooter on the TranAm trail through Arkansas but I don't want to tear up the Tiger.

Looking forward to the possibility of going on the ride.

Doug
Come down before hand and let me ride it to determine if it is suiable for the ride.

For reference, I've ridden all of the dirt road portion of the trail on my Vstrom 650 with my wife on the back. Never with mud though, but several times with DEEP sand.

PM me with your phone number, Doug.