Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
DRZ400 RACKS, final time... Which is STRONGEST?

Gang
I've asked a similar question before, but let me qualify this time.
I need to carry stuff on the DRZ400E. First, should I depend on Side racks instead of tail rack? Then, which ones are the strongest of the Tail Racks? and Which are the strongest and/or most functional of the side racks???

thanks so much. I promise this is the last time I'll ask this [....fingers crossed....]

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
I"ve had a few get offs with my KLR and the Happy Trail.com SU racks and they didn't budge.. YMMV.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Zapp,

Not made for the E, but with some modication, you might like the cycleracks.com rack. Check the description and pics on the first two pages of this thread.
Or visit Happy Trails.
Or not.

Good luck.

TwoShots screwed with this post 02-16-2007 at 03:05 PM Reason: clarity
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,441
Cool2

Strongest rack may or may not be ideal.
You want something sturdy to carry items to certain weight, but you don't want the rack to be so strong that they would bend the frame each time you drop the bike.
Personally, on a high standover, narrow, small displacement bike like the DRZ400, it is more ideal to have a topbox rather than side luggage, keep the narrow profile of the bike for trail riding. It's easier to get handlebar to fit between trees than sidecases.

This rack looks interesting though, I didn't know that such large tail rack existed, it might be a good rack to use as handle hold to pick up the bike, too.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Gang
I've asked a similar question before, but let me qualify this time.
I need to carry stuff on the DRZ400E. First, should I depend on Side racks instead of tail rack? Then, which ones are the strongest of the Tail Racks? and Which are the strongest and/or most functional of the side racks???

thanks so much. I promise this is the last time I'll ask this [....fingers crossed....]

z
I'AM VERY HAPPY WITH HAPPY TRAIL SIDE RACKS , BUT I HAVE A DRZ 400S , I WOULD THINK THEY WOULD FIT THE E MODEL. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS
I'AM VERY HAPPY WITH HAPPY TRAIL SIDE RACKS , BUT I HAVE A DRZ 400S , I WOULD THINK THEY WOULD FIT THE E MODEL. CMS
E has no sub-frame at the back like the S.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I had a Promoto billet rack on my'03 drz400e. I never tried but think I could've stood on that thing. Here's the linky:
http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog...roducts_id=187
mootsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
E has no sub-frame at the back like the S.
Right, that's the problem with loading up an E. What will that world's strongest rack be attached to, the world's weakest subframe?

On my S, I had the Suzuki official accerssory rack. Strong as hell and made a handy lifting point when stuck in the mud, as well as to tie a tow strap to for towing someone else. It sure was heavy though.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
ekaphoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
I had the stock rack on my S for a while, but put on a pro moto billet aluminum rack and like it better. It is just as strong if not stronger, but lighter. As for putting one on an E I am not sure how that would work since it would be sitting on the plastic fender only.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
promoto billet rack is plenty strong on the e frame. suspension will not work well if you plan on carrying much weight with any rack setup; you will probably eat up the upper chain roller within a few miles altogether. I had to replace the fasteners (longer) and add nylon lock nuts to my promoto after they began to fall out on a trip thru south texas on the way into mexico. the upper chain roller guide was gone before 100 miles. Keep the wieght light or travel with someone else who will bring the heavy stuff like tools. I limit my weight to under 40 lbs now and I weigh 165. If you like hard luggage it is simple and cheap to slap on some kolpin fuel pack brackets and doscoil pistol cases onto the promoto rack. kolpin and doscoil is available at cabelas.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
DRZmaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
This photo was taken on the trans-Siberian Highway. Happy trails are second to none when considering strength. Not the prettiest, but defiantly the strongest.

Mongolia
DRZmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
A rack can be built that works just fine for the e sub. I've used mine on long distance rides for a couple of years with no probs. It incorporates side racks which adds a lot of strength. It's also very light as it's made from 5/8" tubing. I'm surprised that no one makes one commercially.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
ADVGUY
Learning

Oddometer: 48
ProMoto Billet, super sturdy and it looks great!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
RedDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Promo Billet

I agree, the ProMoto Billet aluminum cargo rack PMB-01-4200 is the best one for the E model.

Reddirt
RedDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
podangus
n00b

Oddometer: 3
..bump
I `am also interested in the issue. I have a 400S, I bought some pelican cases on ebay and want some kind of a racks. Can you use the Happy Trails side racks without a tail rack?
On the HT site it says their tail rack can later be upgraded to their SU side rack.
If you must use a tail rack with the HT side rack (I am not sure why) do you have to use the HT tail rack? I much prefer the look of the promoto or one of tonnsracing racks than the HT.
thanks,
podangus is offline   Reply With Quote